PDA

View Full Version : Horse friendly beaches in Sydney/Wollongong

half_pass
26-02-10, 01:42 PM
I know this has been brought up before, but I can't seem to find much information.

I have a couple of photographers who want to do some bridal shoots with a horse on a beach so I need to find some beaches we can shoot at!

I came across this article that shows a racehorse on Coniston Beach in Wollongong, anyone know if horses are still allowed there?
http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/news/local/sport/horse-racing/get-up-judes-beach-break/1324088.aspx

Anyone know of any other beaches?

I might also have to put out a call soon for people who may be willing to donate their beautiful horse for a day of pampering and being a supermodel, but we'll see :D

cobie
26-02-10, 02:00 PM
If you find a horse friendly beach nearby, I hope you know you are morally obliged to let me tag along :D

half_pass
26-02-10, 02:40 PM
Haha, you're welcome to come along if I find something :D

nushiek8
26-02-10, 02:51 PM
I cant seem to find anything on the net about it. I know that a lot of race horses are trained down there as my mum walks her dog along Coniston beach in the mornings and often sees horses. Best bet is to contact the council to confirm but i would think that they would be allowed.

Anubis
26-02-10, 02:55 PM
used to ride racehorses down the beach, not done it for many a year so not sure if it is allowed now.

first time I did it was also my first time in a race saddle, train said "bridge your reins and leave 200m to pull up before you hit the breakwater (big pile of boulders near the steelworks)...then she said "go" horse took off at what seemed a zillion miles an hour. Was a hoot.

You understand I have to come too...

kevarose
26-02-10, 03:00 PM
Horses are allowed at Seven Mile Beach - glorious seven miles of beaCH - and horse entry is at the Golf Club entry also. Drive down Scott St, Shoalhaven Heads and park float near entry to Golf Club and walk in through the golf club and then you will see the horse sign on a sandy trail to the beach. The beach is usually deserted except for a few fisherman and walkers with dogs like me ...

half_pass
26-02-10, 03:00 PM
Ok I'll contact the council to see if they can offer any advice!

Anubis, that sounds like a blast, although hopefully this shoot will not be with a racehorse. Not sure how well I ride in a wedding dress...

half_pass
26-02-10, 03:49 PM
Anyone know if Stockton Beach still allows horses?

Cybergirl
26-02-10, 04:02 PM
Hi, one of the loveliest beaches that allows dogs off their leashes and horses is near me. I take my dog there to swim in the Lagoon and there were horses there on the weekend. I think it is one of the prettiest beaches in the Illawarra and has the advantage of being further away from the steelworks.

So that is at the far north end of Corrimal Beach, near Bellambi Lagoon. I'll see if I can find the details on the Wollongong Council website for you and post if I do...

Cybergirl
26-02-10, 04:13 PM
Okay, some useful links. The first link shows outlined in white, the area I am suggesting:

http://www.wollongong.nsw.gov.au/documents/Bellambi_Boat_Ramp_-_Bellambi.pdf

There is a good carpark at the southern end there, where the lagoon meets the sea.

And all other relevant areas in the Illawarra:

http://www.wollongong.nsw.gov.au/community/offleashareas.asp

Note these are designated "dogs off leash" areas, you might need to confirm with council re being allowed to have horses at any of them, but I imagine it would be alright.

Koalas_rule
26-02-10, 04:49 PM
Half_Pass you can ride horses on Stockton Beach, I know Sahara Trails does trail rides at the Anna Bay end - not sure if you need a special permit like you do with motor vehicles.

Only question is though - with Stockton being so busy with 4WDs now, would you want to risk it on a horse? We went on a 4WD trip along the beach last November and it was like a 4 lane highway - talk about busy!! And they don't drive slowly along there either. We drove along the beach all the way from Stockton to Anna Bay and the Anna Bay end was much quieter and less cut up - it would be pleasant horse riding on that section but I wouldn't recommend the Stockton end.

StElmosFire
26-02-10, 05:01 PM
Half_Pass, is this what you meant when you said you were going to do some modelling for extra cash? You'd better have some nice pics to show us after this - it sounds like it could be really wonderful!
Good luck, and wish I could come and watch!:)

Caille
26-02-10, 05:41 PM
Are you getting married??!?!?!?!?

half_pass
26-02-10, 05:43 PM
Thanks for that info cybergirl, I'll email the council next week to check about that beach!

Caille - definitely not getting married! I do some modelling and I have been contacted by two different wedding photographers, both of whom would like to do a shoot with horses. A lot of wedding photographers like to shoot with non-brides just to show off their talent!

half_pass
26-02-10, 05:44 PM
kevarose - just saw your post, that beach sounds great! I'll have to mention that beach as well. Thanks!

Bohdi
26-02-10, 08:16 PM
Half pass
Keep me updated. Desperate to take horsey on a beach ride. We are only a short distance from the areas you speak of....

Furthermore if you need a model, my boy is a pretty one!!

Cobie.....join us, please!

half_pass
26-02-10, 08:21 PM
Bohdi, will definitely let you know :)

Have you got any photos of your boy? And would he be happy with someone wearing a big rustly wedding dress sitting on his back?!

PIAS
26-02-10, 08:41 PM
Anyone know if Stockton Beach still allows horses?

half_pass I posted this question a while ago too and someone mentioned Blacksmiths Beach? Carpark at end of Ungala Rd, Blacksmiths (off Awabakal Ave) Hope the spelling's right. I scribbled it on a piece of paper. Haven't been there myself.
As to Stockton lots of people do ride there but as Koalas says there are also lots of 4wd'ers.
Some, like my son and his wife, are responsible :D Some are not. Might be best to go during the week and miss the weekend warriors?
Cheers

cobie
27-02-10, 01:09 AM
You can have Freddy as a model if you like :P He's generally pretty chilled out with most things, not sure whether he'd be quite pretty enough though :P

kevarose
27-02-10, 08:26 AM
There are no 4WD at Seven Mile Beach. Just the odd person with a dog or a fisherman/ woman. I would think it was a perfect location for a shoot. But the only entry is off Scott Street, Shoalhaven Heads and then turn left and park on the side of the golf course near a gate. The entry with a horse sign on it is directly in line with the path past the golf club house, past their holder for their sand buckets (the first time I went with my dog I thought I was trespassing) and past their little green round circles of putting green. Thinking about it, when you drive down Scott Street towards the beach, plan on turning right just a few metres and immediately drive onto the grass verge bordering onto the golf club fence. It would be best for one of you to run over and see the entrance to the path through the scrub (only 30 metres or so). There is a gate you can open not far from Scott Street so that you do not have to walk horses past all their scary garbage bins.

Bohdi
27-02-10, 06:02 PM
http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs004.snc3/11135_191551289101_533179101_3020164_4330854_n.jpg

Hi Half Pass,
This is the only photo I have. The rest are on my daughters computer.

HE might want to look at someone wearing a BIGG wedding dress, but then I believe he would get over it!! LOL

Aargo
27-02-10, 10:20 PM
There are no 4WD at Seven Mile Beach. Just the odd person with a dog or a fisherman/ woman. I would think it was a perfect location for a shoot. But the only entry is off Scott Street, Shoalhaven Heads and then turn left and park on the side of the golf course near a gate. The entry with a horse sign on it is directly in line with the path past the golf club house, past their holder for their sand buckets (the first time I went with my dog I thought I was trespassing) and past their little green round circles of putting green. Thinking about it, when you drive down Scott Street towards the beach, plan on turning right just a few metres and immediately drive onto the grass verge bordering onto the golf club fence. It would be best for one of you to run over and see the entrance to the path through the scrub (only 30 metres or so). There is a gate you can open not far from Scott Street so that you do not have to walk horses past all their scary garbage bins.

Thanks heaps for all the info!!

I have been aching to ride on the beach...I have a nice little steel grey arabian mare with a four week old foal at foot!! Problem is I don't think she would be big enough ;) both are VERY quiet :)

Kevarose...I recon or next "CH Meeting" should be there...who is up for it??

*raises her hand*

Aargo
27-02-10, 10:25 PM
I know this has been brought up before, but I can't seem to find much information.

I have a couple of photographers who want to do some bridal shoots with a horse on a beach so I need to find some beaches we can shoot at!

I came across this article that shows a racehorse on Coniston Beach in Wollongong, anyone know if horses are still allowed there?
http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/news/local/sport/horse-racing/get-up-judes-beach-break/1324088.aspx

Anyone know of any other beaches?

I might also have to put out a call soon for people who may be willing to donate their beautiful horse for a day of pampering and being a supermodel, but we'll see :D

Wow...just looked at the article HP...I am friends with the owner of this horse...he has a half sister by the name of "Judes Law" who ran the weekend before last...I am yet to chat to him to see how she went.

What a coincidence!!

And correct me if I wrong fellow Wollongongites...that looked like South Wollongong beach?? The breakwater and the steelworks in the background??

Pillegro
27-02-10, 10:31 PM
Hi guys,

From how I am looking at the picture and the fact that it is 'Coal' in the background (I work for that company)... I think this photo may have been taken at the north end of MM beach - pointing north.

Pillegro
27-02-10, 10:37 PM
Well, the picture does say Coniston Beach. So it is the beach that is behind Wollongong Golf Course. Sorry, my mistake.

Aargo
27-02-10, 10:48 PM
Hi guys,

From how I am looking at the picture and the fact that it is 'Coal' in the background (I work for that company)... I think this photo may have been taken at the north end of MM beach - pointing north.

Looks like it could also be MM...being a newby to the area...I didn't know there was a Conniston Beach...just thought it was "South Beach" :)

But that is nice to know...I will also make some inquiries as I would love to ride on that beach!! Far closer...was thinking of going down to Port Kembla beach...

Anubis
28-02-10, 05:33 AM
A Pills you are showing how long you have been here...it is still southbeach to me too. It is also known as City Beach now as well. remember you used to go in via that little cul-de-sac near the golf course well south of the flags and populated bits

Then again have been here so long the communications building at Uni is still the "pentagon" oh well

Half pass Council (actually the simulacrum we have after the corrupt ones got sacked) might let you arrange something that would otherwise not be possible if photos could somehow be shared with Tourism Wollongong in some sort of contra deal. Worth doing some research into

The beach Kevarose refers to is brilliant as well. You can always retire to the Gerroa Boat Fisherman's club for a drink after...I hate clubs and pubs generally but this place does incredible food and the view down the beach and across the entire Shoalhaven makes it worthwhile.

You are welcome to Iggy for a shoot. He throws to the Iberian so very elegant (mane not so much sadly) if Orange with dapples. Have not forgotten your pm, just caught up in work

half_pass
28-02-10, 09:07 AM
I'll go and check those few beaches out, but Kevarose's beach sounds like it might be a winner!

I might have to have a modelling competition for all these aspiring equine superstars :D