PDA

View Full Version : Common Genetic Diseases?

k8pony
18-05-10, 10:56 AM
I was wondering if anyone knew of any common genetic diseases that are found in horses or any good websites I could source this information from?
I need this information for a science assignment on Horse Genetics. I've already found a few diseases, but I'm not sure if they're common, as the websites didn't mention it. These are a couple of the ones I've found:

-Recurrent Exertional Rhabdomyolysi

-Hereditary Equine Regional Dermal Asthenia

Sourced from http://www.ehow.com/facts_5485417_equine-genetic-diseases.html

If anyone could help me out it would be much appreciated :)
Thankyou

Harriette
18-05-10, 11:07 AM
OCD
osteo chondritis dessecans,

lethal white gene,

supposedly, some melanoma are geneticaly influenced,

heart deformities ie patent foramen ovale, valvular insufficiency,

i thought there was a gastrointestinal syndrome associated with cremellos or perlino's
(ask lea-owens),

epilepsy,

club foot,

thats all, (off the top of my head any way),,

good luck with the assignment!

Charlypops
18-05-10, 11:12 AM
EPSM, appears to have a strong genetic link. There is also a lot of info around on it.

Harriette
18-05-10, 11:18 AM
epsm stands for????
it isnt googling very well

is this it
Equine Polysaccharide Storage Myopathy

k8pony
18-05-10, 11:21 AM
OCD
osteo chondritis dessecans,

lethal white gene,

supposedly, some melanoma are geneticaly influenced,

heart deformities ie patent foramen ovale, valvular insufficiency,

i thought there was a gastrointestinal syndrome associated with cremellos or perlino's
(ask lea-owens),

epilepsy,

club foot,

thats all off the top of my head,,

good luck with the assignment!

Thankyou, Harriette :) I'll take a look at those.

Charlypops
18-05-10, 11:26 AM
Double post :).

Charlypops
18-05-10, 11:27 AM
epsm stands for????
it isnt googling very well

is this it
Equine Polysaccharide Storage Myopathy

Yes that is it. I was just being lazy :). This disease is becoming far more common now with clydie crosses becoming more popular. From my reading on the disease, it is believed to have originated in this breed.

It also appears to be quite common in QH's as well. From my reading of articles from the US.
I am not really sure which is correct. But I do find it interesting.

k8pony
18-05-10, 11:35 AM
Thanks Charlypops :) I will google that one as well.

wild_spot
18-05-10, 01:12 PM
Wow, nobody has mentioned Hypp! It's one of the biggest, and most controversial!

Jacki22
18-05-10, 01:25 PM
I'm thinking... Degenerative joint disease (DJD), also known as osteoarthritis.
http://www.recoveryeq.com/degenerative_joint_disease.htm

k8pony
18-05-10, 01:27 PM
Thanks Jacki :)

Wild spot: what is Hypp?

wild_spot
18-05-10, 01:47 PM
Hang on - I'll google the proper name.

Hyperkalemic periodic paralysis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperkalemic_periodic_paralysis

It traces entirely back to a QH stallion called Impressive - The disorder wasn't located or studied well enough until he had bred hundreads of mares and the progeny had gone on to reproduce numerous times. Hence it is now very widespread in the QH world and making it's way into other breeds as QH are crossed in.

Can be tested for, and not all Impressive bred horses have it. Can be avoided by only breeding Hypp n/n horses, hence the controversy, people perpetuate it as it gives halter horses a more defined, muscular look but are condemning said horses to a very uncertain future and possibly painful death.

k8pony
18-05-10, 01:48 PM
Thanks wild spot :) is it a common disorder?

mindari
18-05-10, 02:22 PM

unfortuantely since roughly half his progeny had it and before it was realised the massive muscling was an indicator of its presence it was increasing in the population at a terrifying rate.

as well many halter people didnt even care, the gene meant they didnt have to condition the horse to get the defination so they were actively selecting for it until finally i believe mandatory testing was brought in as its not only a dreadful thing for the horse.

it could collapse under the rider and crush them in a bad episode.

another easily traceble lethal,(now anyway) recessive this time is SCIDS, sevre combined immuno defic sydndrome. the same one in people that the boy in the plastic bubble had. remember the movie?
one pattern and the carrier hasnt any problems, two patterns n its curtains although now they know bone marrow transplants can save children so affected.
so in theory could a horse.

another newer one comming to light is called Lavender foal syndrome, believed to be a recessive but lethal at birth for the homozygous

another one many dont seem aware of is LWS. Lethal White, its carried in the american overo lines and many solid coloured foals showing no sign of overo if put together results in a pure white foal with no connection of the bowel to the rectum, becoming increasinly common as these solid overos are sold on with no history

k8pony
18-05-10, 02:39 PM
Thankyou very much, mindari. That was very informative. I have some googling to do :)

Charlypops
18-05-10, 04:12 PM

I am hoping none of them are too common. These things should be bred away from not for.
So I guess you really need to be more specific on how common you want something to be :).

wild_spot
20-05-10, 09:35 PM
It is rampant in the US. It is here too but you wouldn't know how much as many don't even know it exists.

Look up any halter QH stallions from the US and most will have their HYPP status on their page.

Many breeders dump h/h (Homozygous for HYPP) foals at sales without papers so they can't be traced - They get bought often for children and never tested, and one day have an attack and kid is either riding at the time and injured or is left with a horse that isn't safe to ride or may have to be put down.

Could be killed out in one generation if only n/n (Negative for HYPP) horses were bred.

Charlypops
20-05-10, 09:54 PM
It was my understanding that all breeding stallions and all foundation mares that are registered with the AQHA had to be tested for and cleared of HYPP and Herda and OWLS. Regardless of whether they are home bred or imported.

I am sure it may exist in Australia. But I thought that the AQHA was doing a great job of trying to eliminate it from our gene pool if it is here.

I do not know if this is true for the PHAA though.

mindari
20-05-10, 10:03 PM
trouble is as wild spot said.

where are they dumping those that fail the test?
n of course once they dissappear into the general population their new owners havent a clue they carry the time bomb thats ticking

at least OLW cant crush someone, the poor foal doesnt survive its first days.

Charlypops
20-05-10, 10:11 PM
I know a lot get dumped in the US. But I honestly don't think that is a problem here in Aus.
If no registered breeeding animal is able to have the disease, in either a homozygous of heterozygous state. Then there is no chance any of the progeny have the disease either.

The AQHA in the US does not discrimate against horses that are HYPP positive. Which is why it is such a big problem over there.

Perhaps I am just naive :).