PDA

View Full Version : NH - Daily headaches, who can help?

kait21
18-05-10, 09:42 PM
I feel like a need a mothers opinion here. I am thinking about making an apointment tomrrow to see my doctor this week, but I know I won't be able to get in to see her until Friday, so any suggestions as to what is wrong with me/remedies would be greatly appreciated.

Symptoms
1. Recently I have been very tired. I normally sleep for about 9 or 10 hours a night (can't function on under 9), but lately I have been waking up feeling tired, and have been feeling quite exhausted by 4pm, when I finish riding. I start to get a headache around this time or a bit after, and so usually I head straight home and have a shower and some light dinner around 5pm. Then, because I am so tired I lie down in bed with a book or the computer or watch some tv to try and relax. So I have been going to bed earlier and getting more like 12 hours sleep but doesn't see mto have much effect.
2. My headache. Starts just after I get home around 5pm and gets continually worse until about 8pm when it's verging on a migraine and I go to bed. It's mostly in the forehead and sides of mead head, and a little at the top, but no pain at the back of my head.

I'm not feeling stressed or anxious, life is in fact pretty good. I'm exercising a bit every day, and eat healthily, and drink water, I don't feel sick in any other way and haven't recently been sick. I just have this terrible tiredness and exhaustion and awful headaches!

Any ideas of what it could be or what to do?

Montego
18-05-10, 09:50 PM
Go to the doctor. Do not pass go, do not collect $200 etc.

One of the things that works for me with one of those will not leave me headaches, is to increase fluids. Sports drinks are fantastic because they are chock full of salt and sugar, so they quench your thirst and you feel great quickly. But they are roooooly bad for you so you shouldn't live on them, just water as you already say you do.

So go to the doctor. Good luck.

NikJ
18-05-10, 09:50 PM
How much water do you drink during the day? It could be dehydration.

Also tiredness - 9 hours a day - cripes, try taking a berroca - either fizzy or pills. You may need some vitamins.

Talk to doc, you may need blood tests. Look at anemia - its common for young women.

kait21
18-05-10, 10:06 PM
Ok so the reason I need 9 hours sleep a night to function normally is because I have chronic fatigue syndrome. I had/have had glandular fever and it often comes as a result of that. It used to be bad, (I would sleep for 22 hours a day, and was so weak I needed help to get up etc) but that only lasted a while and was thought to be a result of serious stress, because my parents split up and I started uni. That was a couple of years ago, and I haven't had any 'fatigue indicators' that I'm getting it worse, you would never know I had it except for the 9 or 10 hours sleep thing. It could be the reason for my exhasution of late, but I don't feel like it is, because I usually need something to bring it on, like a big stress, or sickness etc. And it comes with the headache and I thoguht the two might be linked?

I am making the doctors appointment tomorrow, but because it's a popular clinic it's generally busy. I just wanted any ideas or sugestions to keep me going til then.

Good idea about the sports drinks, I do drink them a bit if I'm sick and struggle to keep food down, but hadn't thought of drinking them for something like this.

I wil admit I don't drink alot of water, but in the last couple of months have been consciously forcing myself to drink more. (I used to survive/never feel dehydrated on about 1 glass of water every couple of days, with a cup of tea at night. Naughty I know but I would simply forget!) Now I am trying to drink at least 1 litre per day.

Charlypops
18-05-10, 10:13 PM
If I don't get 8-9 hours sleep a night I am a mess, and I don't have chronic fatigue. I just thought that was normal.

I have been dealing with Chronic headaches/migranes for about the last 15 years. I have never had any luck in talking to various doctors. But I have finally after many years of searching found a great gentle chiropractor who has done wonders for the situation.

If this is a sudden unusal thing for you though, I also recommend the doctors visit, and then go from there.

Montego
18-05-10, 10:16 PM
There is a saying that if you're thirsty, you're already dehydrated. The sports drink thing is a quick fix for yukky hot days when you've sweated heaps, they are NOT a headache cure. Neither are 'nurofen sandwiches' - you really need a doc and a pre-booked long appointment so you can sort out why you're getting them, especially with your history.

Enjoy your 9 hour sleeps, sometimes when I am stressy, I get only 2 hours sleep! I hate it. I love it when the stress goes and I can sleep again. Good luck at the doc.

Wanderer
18-05-10, 10:16 PM
I wil admit I don't drink alot of water, but in the last couple of months have been consciously forcing myself to drink more. (I used to survive/never feel dehydrated on about 1 glass of water every couple of days, with a cup of tea at night. Naughty I know but I would simply forget!) Now I am trying to drink at least 1 litre per day.

You sound like someone I know who not only doesn't get thirsty but doesn't get hungry either.
So unless reminded to drink or eat he would do neither.
Can't remember the diagnosis but it is a medical condition.
Get it checked. And your thyroid too.
Good luck.

kait21
18-05-10, 10:18 PM
If I don't get 8-9 hours sleep a night I am a mess, and I don't have chronic fatigue. I just thought that was normal.

I have been dealing with Chronic headaches/migranes for about the last 15 years. I have never had any luck in talking to various doctors. But I have finally after many years of searching found a great gentle chiropractor who has done wonders for the situation.

If this is a sudden unusal thing for you though, I also recommend the doctors visit, and then go from there.

Charlypops, I think it is relatively normal to get that much sleep regardless of chronic fatigue! Most people I know get 8 or more hours. It is the recommended time to function normally and stay healthy. I am going to my physio next week (about an unrelated issue) so I might ask him about my back/neck and see if I need a chiro visit, It could be slightly related to my neck.

NikJ
18-05-10, 10:21 PM
Also, how old is your pillow? And mattress? These affect the body. Being in bed that long and not being physically comfortable would cause issues.

kait21
18-05-10, 10:22 PM
You sound like someone I know who not only doesn't get thirsty but doesn't get hungry either.
So unless reminded to drink or eat he would do neither.
Can't remember the diagnosis but it is a medical condition.
Get it checked. And your thyroid too.
Good luck.

There is a condition for it?! I definitely do get hungry, and eat. I drink now too.

I know that once you;re thirsty you;re already dehydrated, but I never normally get thirsty either. I have to remind myself to drink some water. Not that that is the real issue here, my headaches are terrible! I thin I'll go to bed and see if I can get a big long sleep. :)

Definitely booking the doctors appointment. Wanderer - what does the thyroid have to do with it? How might it be affecting me?

kait21
18-05-10, 10:26 PM
Also, how old is your pillow? And mattress? These affect the body. Being in bed that long and not being physically comfortable would cause issues.

Hmm, both would be about 18 months old, I bought it all new when I moved last. I find them both VERY comfortable, have a special foam underlay on my bed which is great. I don't feeeeel uncomfortable and don't wake up stiff or in pain.

NikJ
18-05-10, 10:30 PM
If a side sleeper your shoulder shouldnt be collapsed and your neck straight/back aligned. I got a denton side sleeping pillow that has a neck support. This has helped me a lot.

kait21
18-05-10, 10:35 PM
If a side sleeper your shoulder shouldnt be collapsed and your neck straight/back aligned. I got a denton side sleeping pillow that has a neck support. This has helped me a lot.

Ok I definitely sleep on my side, and I think I sleep with my shoulder 'collapsed' or it is kind of rolled under. I'll go try one of those pillows immediately tomorrow!

NikJ
18-05-10, 10:36 PM
They are not cheap. I got mine from pillowtalk fro $65.

horsesRgr8
18-05-10, 10:43 PM
I get a lot of neck & head aches I find using a wheat bag......you know, the ones u heat in the microwave...sometimes helps with the pain when to trying to go to sleep. Or you could try a hot water bottle...

shadowmystique
18-05-10, 10:51 PM
It could be any number of things and the list is a mile long... See a doctor

Dragoness
18-05-10, 11:23 PM
Agreed, see your dr. I have the joys of headaches for most days of my life. Sometimes they are small enough that I barely notice, other times I can get headaches for 10 days running that make it hard to think (then there are the joys of migraines passed on from my dad, but thats a whole different kettle of fish....) Im on drugs for the rest of my life to try and control them, they are better than they used to be, so I guess thats a good thing.
The fact that you're getting them at a certain time is an indicator, I would be looking for something that might be setting them off, for example your helmet being too tight, something you're feeding your horse that you're coming into contact with, something you're eating before riding..... so many possibilities. Certain smells trigger my headaches in a bad way (alot of perfume trigger migraines as well) lavender is something that almost instantly give me a throbbing head, unfortunately everyone seems to add lavendar to their wheat bags to sooth headaches... lol

Good luck, hope you get to the bottom of it. Ive had every test under the sun and nothing has shown up, Im just lucky I guess, lol

Cheers

wickwood
19-05-10, 12:38 AM
Ever thought that it could be your diet??

http://www.notmilk.com/migraines.html

It is similar to what I went thru many years ago!! HEADACHES (migraine like) TIREDNESS (always felt tired )IRB I would eat certain foods and with in an hour I would have to lie down (sleep) And always felt cold in the limbs (fingers ,toes especially toes)

Changed the diet!! REMOVED all Dairy foods!! and all of the above problems went , they just went.Only return if I miss seeing the Dairy in processed foods :(

So look at your diet, write down what you eat, look at the ingredience of all the foods you eat. You will find Dairy hiding in food like processed hams, chicken ,turkey. in bread, cakes biscuits. In truth about 80% of foods to day have Dairy in some shape or form.

If your like me and turn out to be Dairy Protein allergic, the sooner you change your diet the better your life will become :) :)

Oh and it gets worse the older you get, as do most allergies do!!

acaciaalba
19-05-10, 12:47 AM
wickwood,s suggestion has merit,,,maybe its something you are allergic to,,,but then you would have been that way forever i think, not just recently.
please,,,,,go see a doctor,,,,,,,from an old chook,,,please,,,,dont take chances,,,go and get it seen to,,,get tests done,,,whatever it takes to find out.
if it is just an allergy,,thats great,,,,who knows,,,,just go get it looked at medically first and then make choices.
dont mess about,,,just do it.

wickwood
19-05-10, 01:02 AM
wickwood,s suggestion has merit,,,maybe its something you are allergic to,,,but then you would have been that way forever i think, not just recently.

And that is the problem with some allergies, that they are with you from the beginning. And therefore you know no difference, the effects are your "Norm" especially when your young.Then as you age the effects get slowly worse and it still your "Norm" so you put up with "your lot" Then eventually( hopefully) you find the trigger for your Allergies.

Then your life improves

and you wish you had looked further than just going to the Dr's.....

latimeria
19-05-10, 01:37 AM
Now I am trying to drink at least 1 litre per day.
Apart from allergies and so on (which might cause your headache/fatigue or at least might be part of the problem) - this is not enough!

I mean... Brisbane is subtropical, isn't it? With the high temperatures your body needs to sweat for cooling - water loss. If you only drink 1 l/day, there's not sufficient water to remove all the toxic stuff that your liver delivers to the kidneys for excretion. Additionally, your blood is in trouble getting through the small capillaries, as the percentage of "solids" (i. e. blood cells) is too high, so the perfusion (correct word?) of tissue is not sufficient and the transport of metabolites is insufficient.

In a certain sense one could say that not drinking enough creates a slight, home-made intoxication.

Usually, I'm also not drinking enough. What I do is: I prepare large (1.5 l) bottles with what I'd like to drink in one day (water or water mixed with (native, no sugar or whatever flavours added) apple juice - this is approx. isotonic and works as well as those artificial isotonic drinks) and I have to drink at least one bottle per day in winter (plus the coffee and/or tea) and 1.5 to two in summer. This is the German climate version... My bottle is always with me... When I'm out for riding in the countryside I take one or two small bottles (0.5 l) with me - I've got saddlebags for them. The horse gets used to the fizzling and suddenly getting wet upon opening the bottle after a while :D

Anubis
19-05-10, 07:38 AM
Please go to a doctor sooner rather than later.
Without wanting to be a harbinger of doom tiredness can herald many things including cancer. Get the big things ruled out as well...I never thought it would happen to me but it did.

Caille
19-05-10, 07:52 AM
Definitely go to the doc. I have one of those irritating autoimmune disorders as well and have been having an AWFUL time of it with the change of weather. I've had a headache going on a month and a half now. Started like yours after riding. But I finally got sick of it and went to my GP yesterday who is sending me back to the Rheumatologist, who has better medications than he can prescribe that will nip it in the bud. If only I wasn't so stubborn, I could have had it taken care of already! Good luck!

lea-owens
19-05-10, 08:20 AM
Go to the doctor and insist on an MRI to rule out very common causes of headaches, such as pituitary tumours. I had headaches coming and going for years and years, some lasted for days at a time. Whenever there were big air pressure changes, like before storms, they'd develop into migraines. But no one took them that seriously because everyone seemed to have something worse so what was I complaining about? It took a horse to break my orbital bone (around the eye) to make an MRI necessary and it revealed a massive tumour wrapped around both carotid arteries, sqashing my pituitary gland and stretching my optic nerve to breaking point and it was the cause of those headaches - after my initial "I'm going to die" over-reaction, it turned out to be benign, as most pituitary tumours are, and it wasn't in grey matter so it was easy to remove. A 6 hour operation which wasn't nearly as bad as I feared and life was soon back to normal - well, better than before because I had a whole new outlook on life, lots to be thankful for and headaches are now caused by dehydration or a cold and are few and far between.

Make the appointment today and be brutally honest about the frequency and level of pain with the headaches and think of any other symptoms (such as tiredness and sleep and changes in vision which can be related to the extremely common pituitary tumours) and get an MRI to rule out a brain tumour... over 30% of us have them, but most do not cause a problem.

half_pass
19-05-10, 10:43 AM
The consensus is to obviously see a doctor. Regarding the tiredness, are you getting enough iron in your diet? Being even slightly anaemic leaves you feeling completely out of energy, no matter how much sleep you get.

Wickwood, with the lack of dairy in your diet, I assume you are taking calcium supplementation?

Woo Hoo
19-05-10, 11:06 AM
Google Hypothyroidism symptoms and see how many you have

Ask your doc to test you and then check the results yourself as you may be in the "normal" range but if you are at the low end you will still need treatment.

kait21
19-05-10, 11:20 AM
Google Hypothyroidism symptoms and see how many you have

Ask your doc to test you and then check the results yourself as you may be in the "normal" range but if you are at the low end you will still need treatment.

Ok I've googled a checklist for that, and I only have 2 of the 24 symptoms, feeling fatigued, and feeling lethargic.

I have just made an appointment with my doctor for this afternoon, so hopefuly this will all be put to rest then!

Latimeria - I know 1 litre isn't enough water, but it's about as much as I can drink at the moment. Drink more than that makes me feel quite sick in the stomach, because my stomach isn't used to drinking much at all, so I'm working my way up to 2 litres a day. Also, I'm not outside doing hard or sweaty things alot. I ride but it's cold enough here at the moment that you don't get a sweat from riding, and other than that I'm usually at university which is mentally exhausting not physically!

kait21
19-05-10, 11:25 AM
The consensus is to obviously see a doctor. Regarding the tiredness, are you getting enough iron in your diet? Being even slightly anaemic leaves you feeling completely out of energy, no matter how much sleep you get.

Wickwood, with the lack of dairy in your diet, I assume you are taking calcium supplementation?

Hi HP,

About 6 years ago I had low iron levels, not enough to be anemic, just a bit lower than recommended. I took Iron for a year or 2, and my doctor recommended that I gradually decrease taking them so my body doesn't ecome dependant and to see if my body could start producing enough. I had another test a year later and it was. It is possible though that this may have happened again though, and I am sure my doctor will consider this and may recommend I take iron tablets again for a while.

Woo Hoo
19-05-10, 11:34 AM
Good Luck getting to the bottom of it, nothing worse than feeling crap and not knowing why!

Also heard that Vitamin B2 deficiency causes migraine... so check that out too!

kait21
19-05-10, 05:09 PM
Ok so I went to the doctor and she believes that it is a tension headache which is leading to the migraines. I'm not stressed, but upon feeling my shoulders and back she said it was fairly obvious the tension is coming from there as my muscles are so tight they feel like wooden boards. Most probably from poor posture while sitting reading all my uni work and working at the computer. So I have to try and get rid of the tension and I am now at home with a wheat heat pack on my shoulders to loosen the muscles and am massaging and rubbing them to improve the circulation. And I got a new electric blanket so I can lie down and wamr up/loosen my back muscles. And my OH is going to be doing alot of back massages. As for the tiredness she said it is probably a result of the exhausting headaches, however I have scheduled another apointment next week so she can see how I am going, and if there is not improvement I am getting bloods done to check iron levels and an MRI scan. She said my body could also havea little virus it is trying to fight off which might be why I feel tired.

occy
19-05-10, 05:20 PM
hi,

i get headaches A LOT, and i also get really tired easily from just a normal days work,

im active, fit, etc,

i find that if i drink the 2 litres of water a day and go for a run in the mornings before work i am a lot less tired and the water helps rejuvinate (sp??) the body also and help flush out toxins.

its hard to do, and i know when i haven't drank enough (like atm) and for a few days you feel like your on the toilet more than anything but it helps.

also massage from otherhalf along with a prof massage for the neck tension i get... and failing getting a massage then i use volaran cream on my neck and shoulders for some relief!

anyway just a few hints..... off to refill my water bottle

Muzziet
19-05-10, 05:25 PM
With the nasties ruled out, treat yourself to a Bowen Therapy session or two, it has moves for neck/shoulder/headaches. It relieves muscle tension which reduces pain, increases circulation & nutrient flow and removal of waste products like lactic acid. It's just relaxing also. Is also brilliant for horses, known as Equine Muscle Release Therapy. Good luck!

Louise_M
19-05-10, 06:55 PM
Have you ever had a whiplash injury? I find that I get tense in the shoulders and neck and a stinking headache when my neck/jaw are out - trip to my chiro is a godsend and the headaches are gone straight away.

Maybe checking on your posture at work would be an idea seeing it comes at the end of the day.

I too have CFS after suffering the trifecta of GF/ Rubella and Barmah Forest virus so i know where you are coming from with regards to exhaustion. :)

I also agree with keeping your water intake up.

Hope you are feeling better soon. :)

gdh
19-05-10, 06:58 PM
I'd had terrible headaches for tens of years which I blamed on my neck/back problems. They were exactly the same as hangover ones soooo, guess what? No booze, just the fags. We'd used a wonderful Bowen lady for the horses & ourselves which got me to thinking along the massage lines.
The next time I got one, I aggressively felt/palpated all my neck ligaments/muscles & sure enough, found some very sore ones. I then rolled them, hurtfully hard for about 20 secs, all the sore areas, near the throat, skull, spine, shoulders, in fact everywhere it hurt. Wonder of wonders, headache gone within 10mins :eek:.
Now, I'm not suggesting yours aren't related to the CFS but as soon as you mentioned 'tight' & 'tension' as well as sitting all day, it sounded very similar to me (once the neddies are done!). Honestly, I wish I'd known how to do this 30 yrs ago.............then again, I'd've still been on the booze :D

kait21
19-05-10, 07:13 PM
Have you ever had a whiplash injury? I find that I get tense in the shoulders and neck and a stinking headache when my neck/jaw are out - trip to my chiro is a godsend and the headaches are gone straight away.

Maybe checking on your posture at work would be an idea seeing it comes at the end of the day.

I too have CFS after suffering the trifecta of GF/ Rubella and Barmah Forest virus so i know where you are coming from with regards to exhaustion. :)

I also agree with keeping your water intake up.

Hope you are feeling better soon. :)

Yup I'm pretty sure my neck is out, but that's about 5 years old so I haven never worried about it and it has never caused me any pain. Not sure if I've had any whiplash injuries, but did have a small car accident a couple of years ago and I got concussion and can't remember what happened so could have had whiplash. I am thinking I probably need to force myself to go to the chiro but I am such a baby when it comes to things like this. I absolutely HATE going, which is why I've put it off for 5 years.

NikJ
19-05-10, 07:53 PM
Kait I cant do chiro for fear also. But I go to an osteopath (westside osteopathy at Taringa) and they are great. No neck cracking. Very good and you get a massage too.

opensky
19-05-10, 07:57 PM
If you get no relief /etc after seeing a GP.......my Mum got regular shockers of headaches and went to a Chinese acupuncturist. Went home with a headache, went to bed and never got another one ever after, have heard others with similar results, so that might be worth a try? Best of luck, anyway, headaches are awful, even though I have rarely had them. Regards

kait21
19-05-10, 08:08 PM
Kait I cant do chiro for fear also. But I go to an osteopath (westside osteopathy at Taringa) and they are great. No neck cracking. Very good and you get a massage too.

I'm interested, what does an osteo do? If the bones are out of place and they don't get put back in their proper place, surely the problem will still be there?