PDA

View Full Version : Why don't we ride Zebras???

Reata
26-05-10, 11:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhSZeS5PoN8&feature=related

StElmosFire
26-05-10, 11:31 PM
They're a bit small for dressage.....

MMC
26-05-10, 11:32 PM
Zebras are mean. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D37sWHgxPFc&feature=related

LindaH
26-05-10, 11:37 PM
Love the gear the bloke had on during the "several" years it took to break the zebra in. A motorbike helmet and hockey goalie padding aren't in most breakers box of tricks :D.

acaciaalba
26-05-10, 11:59 PM
maybe zebras are just dumb, ??? or smarter than all the breakers we know ??
one of life,s little mysteries,,,,

missys-girl
27-05-10, 12:59 AM
Realisticly wouldnt their backs be considered to short?

acaciaalba
27-05-10, 01:14 AM
why ???
and because its too short,,,,,,why ??

cbz
27-05-10, 07:28 AM
Conformation-wise, they don't look much different from the little Mongolian horses that the Mongolian tribesmen ride.

Colour-wise, they are fantastic. What wouldn't I give to see the reactions of a whole warmup arena full of highly trained and highly strung competition warmbloods if one of those joined in. :D :D :D (I would probably be prepared to part with a little of my $100,000,000 {see other thread}).

gimetime
27-05-10, 08:48 AM
I was told by an African that Zebras don't cope with stress and it's common for them to die from stress related problems. Trying to train them causes their stress levels to rise dramatically.

Well that's what I heard.

G Dog
27-05-10, 09:08 AM
Been told by Africaans that Zebras are just pure arseholes.Cranky mean sons of bitches.

alpha_17
27-05-10, 10:06 AM
I have always wanted to tame a zebra.

StElmosFire
27-05-10, 10:16 AM
Re the movie "Racing Stripes", they trained a couple of zebras to perform in that, but I can't remember clearly enough now what exactly I did read....except that the movie zebras were qute obliging and well behaved. I think they require a slightly different approach to conventional horse training methods, and a fair bit of patience.

They were very cute, but I don't like to watch animal films... I cried in "Racing Stripes", when the other animals were nasty to the little zebra. I can't bear sad animal movies. * sniff * I'm a big sook in these instances. :(

Yes, they do look a bit like Mongolian horses/ponies too.... good observation. Think you'd need a breastplate and a crupper to keep the saddle correctly positioned.

half_pass
27-05-10, 10:17 AM
http://www.sycamoretrails.com/Assets/Images/DressageZebra.jpg

EarsForward
27-05-10, 12:44 PM
In all of the creatures of the world-only a handful a few dozen- had the temperement required to become domesticated.
Its a rare thing.
Last century there were always some zebras and their hybrids used due to their restistance to tse fly(spelling?)
One type is more easily trained then others-forget which.
Two people I bought Jacks from,separtely,had done this..but no longer do..kinda tells you something.
I read another guy said they were great ,for people who like a nervous mule.

StElmosFire
27-05-10, 01:16 PM
http://www.sycamoretrails.com/Assets/Images/DressageZebra.jpg

Those stripes look suspiciously like they're painted on! The conformation doesn't look quite zebra enough either! :)

pintofilly
27-05-10, 01:21 PM
the are too wild ,i know the trainer who worked on racing stripes and he reckons the zebras go for your crotch when the get upset and the african handlers dont have both testicles from attacks!!

Dragoness
27-05-10, 01:58 PM
We were starting to work with conditioning our zebras in the zoo. Basically they just arent domesticated like horses and have VERY strong herd instincts. I wouldnt say they are mean, even our stallion was lovely, but even after spending ALOT of time with them, I still could barely get close to them. Maybe after thousands of years domesticating them like they have done with horses you might get something semi quiet....

Cheers

acaciaalba
27-05-10, 02:07 PM
i am with elmo,s mum. that looks like a horse with stripes painted on to me !!