PDA

View Full Version : Raffles is on the loose somewhere in NSW!

raffles101
07-07-10, 05:39 PM
Everybody hide!!!

Got up really early this morning, left the boyfriend, Sammie horse and beautiful QLD's Sunshine Coast behind and made a 9 hour journey to the middle of whoop whoop.

I am currently in a motel in some really tiny town in Outback NSW about 7 hours out of my destination.
The motel has gates. Not just any gates, big tall ones to stop people coming in of a night time. (If you get my drift...)

I nearly hit a cow today because it wouldn't move off the highway. :/ Silly creature. A cow. On the highway. Oh, well, this is the outback after all....

I had a lovely breakfast and chat this morning in Toowoomba with njuro. :)
I got lost trying to find her place. I ended up at Glen_Lomonds property. LOL
So much for women having a good sense of direction!!!

I am rather tired and I think a dvd, an early dinner and off to bed is in order. :)

pauper
07-07-10, 05:51 PM
Geez Raffs you know how to scare a old woman dont you :P
have been worried enough thinking of you driving all that way on your own without reading about scary motels, gates and cows :eek: next time do a edited version for us old Nannas please :D

Good to see your safely half way and dont forget to call your Mum to tell her you made it okay :D

MMC
07-07-10, 06:17 PM
I got lost trying to find her place. I ended up at Glen_Lomonds property. LOL
)

You were nearly at my place ;)

I would say you should have dropped in but we are all snotty and revolting. (Got to love sick kids on the holidays, not)

Enjoy your big adventure and keep us up to date. Drive carefully. Good Luck!!!

raffles101
07-07-10, 06:33 PM
Ok Paups. :) I will. :)

If your at the end of the bloody 'street' then I was at your house this morning. I followed it all the way to the end. And then I gave up and called her for directions. :D

MMC
07-07-10, 06:35 PM
If your at the end of the bloody 'street' then I was at your house this morning. I followed it all the way to the end. And then I gave up and called her for directions. :D

The big white gate at the end is me. Nice road isn't it. You should try it with a horse float:)

raffles101
07-07-10, 06:40 PM
I missed that gate by 2cm when I was trying to turn around... :/
No thank you!!!! Its a horrible road!!!
One plus, at least it isn't gravel/dirt.

MMC
07-07-10, 06:43 PM
I missed that gate by 2cm when I was trying to turn around... :/
No thank you!!!! Its a horrible road!!!
One plus, at least it isn't gravel/dirt.

It keeps the sightseers away. Ha ha ! It is partly dirt and apparently used to be all dirt. The real estate agent we bought the house through told us he had a number of people really interested but pulled out because of the road. ;)

Njuros people use our road as a fitness test, do you see why now?

Harriette
07-07-10, 07:40 PM
the Epic has begun
best wishes
keep us up to date!!

beware of camels

tickle2
07-07-10, 08:55 PM
I nearly hit a cow today because it wouldn't move off the highway. :/ Silly creature. A cow. On the highway. Oh, well, this is the outback after all....

G'day Raffles

Ummm get used to the livestock on the roads..... THEY have right of way..... seriously..... I hope you got the spotties on your car that I suggested - the more you can see the better....

Lol get used to that red dirt - you are going to see a lot of it, especially once the season turns and the wind starts blowing in August.

Its a pity you didn't head out last week, you just missed your "local" sports day, shame, would have been a good chance to meet a lot of people in the district. Not to worry I'm sure you will find your way to the Outback Inn :)

Travel safely, might see you out they way later in the year.

Cheers
tickle

gasbuster
07-07-10, 10:47 PM
C'mon, you've only made it to Moree- that's not the outback, thats close country- now Nyngan, Cobar, Bourke, Brewarrina- that's outback.

Watch out for the feral camels on the road between Nyngan and Bourke. First time I saw them I'd been sick with flu- thought I was hallucinating. Half a dozen of the little suckers just cruising down the highway. Last trip it was emus and feral goats. You learn fairly quickly that livestock has right of way and no respect for cars. Just got to hope the road train up your ...... has also seen the livestock.

Have a great trip.

You've mentioned the Outback Motel- is it in Nyngan ? There long ? Travel out that way regularly at present and would love to catch up.

Harriette
07-07-10, 10:52 PM
or find a road train and sit a little ways behind him, so he can clear the road for you!

LindaH
07-07-10, 10:53 PM
Raffs are you in Moree? If you think Moree is scary, I wouldn't recommend staying in Walgett :D. I was in Moree twice today, passing through on the way to Croppa Creek. Which way are you headed tomorrow?
At least the cattle shouldn't be on the road at night. Keep a look out for roos though, there are plenty about at the moment, and they don't look both ways before crossing!
Oh, and emu's. They look straight at you, then sprint in front of your car!

gasbuster
07-07-10, 10:56 PM
Linda, I was just having a stab at Moree with the locked gates at the Motel and the amount of time she's been on the road. Walgett doesn't scare me quite as much as Bourke- lurve that place...

LindaH
07-07-10, 11:01 PM
I don't actually know any motels in Moree with locked gates, unless its back laneway gates for large vehicle access. Although after having a friend wake in a motel room in Moree with someone rummaging through his stuff in his room, locked gates could be a good option :D. At Walgett I would only stay out of town at Leisure World or with friends :).

raffles101
07-07-10, 11:03 PM
Gasbuster: I am actually not in Moree. I past Moree about 200km ago. :) Not saying exactly where I am though (mainly because I can't spell the name of the town!)

The only reason (other than getting Sammie) I wasn't out last week was because of work and then they said I was fine to leave early after the refused to let me go early when I asked for it 4 weeks ago!!! Such a pain.
I really wanted to go too! The goat muster sounded like so much fun!!! There is something at Thargo soon, and I will be there. Not sure what it is yet though. :)
Well, if your ever out this way soon, give me a PM and I'll see if I can catch up for a chat. :)

Oh, and StElmo'sFire, I am probably 5 hours from you, maybe I might drop by one to say hello!!! Will PM you if I am going that way. :)

gasbuster
07-07-10, 11:05 PM
OK we play guess the town..... Coonabarabran ?

gasbuster
07-07-10, 11:09 PM
I was in Moree for an Agronomy meeting about 10-12 years ago and te Motel we stayed at had a 6 foot fpool ence around it and they locked the gates at 10 pm. Didn't do much for the confidence I tell you.

LindaH
07-07-10, 11:11 PM
Collarenebri? Goodooga? Brewarrina? Not Wee Waa I hope! If you're that close you could have stayed here. Raffs, if you ever come to Narrabri, you'd better visit!
Gasbuster, was that perhaps on the Inverell road? No one I know would ever book into a motel out that way :eek:.

gasbuster
07-07-10, 11:14 PM
HI Linda, THink it was on the highway not far from the roundabout, but hey, was a long long time ago

raffles101
07-07-10, 11:14 PM
Walgett. That's where I am. :)
I couldn't remember how to spell it...
I stopped in Moree to do some banking, fuel and have a late lunch.
I am heading towards Bourke tomorrow and then out west from there... I am about 5 hours from the property I think. :)
I past the sign for croppa creek and smiled. I thought it said crappa for a second. :)
I sat behind a road train after 3pm today. He was very nice. He stopped in Walgett when I did and thanked me for staying off his tail and that I could stay behind him for safety if I was continuing to Bourke tonight.

gasbuster
07-07-10, 11:19 PM
If you get a chance to have a look at the new Outback centre in Bourke for $20 its worth a look. On the highway on the way into town from North Bourke. If you are staying overnight, Port of Bourke Hotel has a good Bistro, Bowling club has edible Chinese. Nothing much else to choose from.

Look after yourself and have a great trip. The further west you get, the nicer the peope get.

LindaH
07-07-10, 11:20 PM
Ahh, lovely downtown Walget. The RSL does a good feed, but whatever you do, don't go to the public toilets in the park, and try not to get run down by the teenage mothers with prams, they are thick on the ground :D. I know the Yeomans who have a welding and farm machinery manufacturing business in town. Enjoy, but don't leave any valuables in your car :eek:.

raffles101
07-07-10, 11:28 PM
I won't be staying overnight in Bourke, I will head straight out to the property tomorrow. I have 300kms of bumpy, uneven, dirt road after Bourke to tackle. Oh joy. At least I will be doing it in the day time and taking it slowly.

But its good to know where is ok to stay. This place I am in is off the main street, but I can't go back to sleep because I can hear the locals. They are rather loud. The chinese I had tonight was discusting. Turned me off Chinese for a while that's for sure!!!!!

Tb Lover
07-07-10, 11:29 PM
I was trying to work out 'Moree' ..... I travelled in my HQ Holden in 1983??? with my Pussy in a litter box from Bunbury to Brsissie ..... thought you might be near Wilcannia? Obviously not! The guy at Bourke said DO NOT STOP at Wlicannia ------ I tried to get to Cobar BUT the roos were REALLY BAD --- so went back ......... another storey ....... for later .......

LindaH
07-07-10, 11:39 PM
Hope the road isn't wet Raffs. There has been some rain out that way, but hopefully (for you) a bit further west at this stage.

raffles101
08-07-10, 06:50 AM
I pasted through some rain yesterday between Toowoomba, Goodiwindi and stopped about 50kms out of Moree. They (my new bosses) said the road is pretty good so cross fingers/touchwood, that is the case. :)

Anyway, time to get going I think...
I will let you all know how I go shortly. :)

Anubis
08-07-10, 07:40 AM
Raffs how far into NSW are you going to come...if you make it to Sydney there are a whole bunch who would love to meet you

Harriette
08-07-10, 09:56 AM
:D think she is heading more this way Anubis,

Raffs if you get to Adelaide, youve gone too far:D but drop in for a cuppa anyway

raffles101
08-07-10, 10:02 AM
Just an update:

I am in Bourke.
I will be in Sydney at some point this year, just not sure when. :)
Emu's are EVERYWHERE out here... its rather scary. Nasty things they are.

njuro
08-07-10, 10:37 AM
Good to hear you've safely made it that far. Now for the long haul on the dirt roads! Stay safe!

Thanks for dropping in for brekky yesterday.... and we'll see you again in the New Year, hopefully! :)

cry123
08-07-10, 12:37 PM
It is great country Raffles you will have a ball!

I live in Cobar and love the bush! :-)

tickle2
08-07-10, 02:56 PM
G'day

Raffles is a loooog way from Sydney at present, it will take her 2 days to get to Sydney from her current location:)

Well its lunch time so I guess she has arrived (or must be nearly there), I hope all went well on the Wanaaring Rd. Colin Buchanan wrote a rather amusing song about it some years ago - believe me its not something you forget in hurry. I used travel on it at least twice a week.

I forgot to tell you Raffles to tune into Outback Radio 2WEB 585, it will always give you a rundown on road conditions and closures (if there are any) and it can give you a good introduction to some good old Slim Dusty classics....lol! Many moons ago I worked there for a while and its pretty much the hub of info for most of the Western Division.

Goodluck with the job Raffles, I'll PM you when I head out that way, we may get to meet:) Oh by the way I'm pretty sure that Milparinka has a sports day coming up soon, you should see if you can get to that?

Cheers
tickle

LindaH
08-07-10, 11:05 PM
2WEB must have the biggest aerial ever. I can get it almost everywhere I go out this way. Wonder if Raffs discovered 2CUZFM in Walgett. The culture shock may have sent her hooning back towards the coast :D.

horsesRgr8
09-07-10, 12:06 AM
Was Raffs able to take her horse with her?

Harriette
09-07-10, 12:06 AM
nope, she is horseless:(