PDA

View Full Version : Straight pasterns

Garryngirl
10-07-10, 10:30 PM
Hi

Red has fairly upright pasterns on his rear legs. Obviously I knew this when I bought him but just wondering what the implications could be, is there anything that I should not attempt with him i.e. jumping etc, he doesn't seem to have any difficulties.

I have not had a horse with such upright pasterns before so any advice on dos and don'ts would be appreciated.

His tempermanet far outweight any confirmation faults :D

missys-girl
10-07-10, 10:38 PM
Any pics of the pasterns?

balmonty
10-07-10, 10:41 PM
A good sloping pastern takes a lot of the concussion on the horses legs in both dressage and jumping. I personally like a good sloping pastern but a lot of warmbloods have been bred with fairly straight pasterns (some causing injury to knees and hocks).

If you watch a thoroughbred gallop in slow motion the pastern will often touch the ground. It was an old belief that the sloping pastern may be vulnerable so some tried to breed them more upright but this proved to weaken other joints.

Anyway, for jumping I would believe that a straight pastern in the front legs which take all the landing would be more of a problem. If you dont intend to do Grand Prix Dressage or World Cup Showjumping I wouldnt worry, enjoy your horse, a trainable brain is worth slight conformation faults. All of the above though is not professional advice, just my personal opinion.

Enjoy your humble steed!

Dragoness
10-07-10, 10:51 PM
Welcome to the QH.... As I have said many times, I event my QH's and in all the QH's I have had, they have all had fairly upright legs, Ive never done anything special and never had any issues. I cant see you taking red around a world cup sj course, so you dont need to be worrying about anything :)

Cheers

Garryngirl
10-07-10, 10:57 PM
I can get some pics tomorrow.

Thanks for the reassurance balmonty and Dragoness. Yeah guess Grand Prix dressage & SJ are out :o

He can certain jump the small heights I want to jump and get a good gallop up :-)

Cybergirl
11-07-10, 09:24 AM
Good advice above. I wouldn't anticipate any issues for what you want him for, GnG.

opensky
11-07-10, 10:14 AM
Agree with other replies.

Of equal importance is that whatever the pastern angle, it should match the shoulder angle (taken along the 'spine' or ridge of the scapula) for a smoother gait.

Regards GNG

StElmosFire
11-07-10, 01:41 PM
Like Opensky, I agree with the others. QHs et al tend to be a bit upright and boxy in this area if you don't watch what you're getting.... but ditto the other posters - if you're wanting a lovely all-rounder, with a great attitude and temperament, and not planning on representing Oz, then they shouldn't pose too much of a problem.

You're aware of the upright-ness of his pasterns, so will be keeping an eye out for any signs of wear & tear, or discomfort down the track.

Happy riding!

Bad Bones
11-07-10, 05:35 PM
GnG - also should remember that the hind pasterns are meant to be a little more upright than the front (by as much as 15 degrees I believe) so don't fret.
I'm sure Red is perfectly OK for whatever you have planned for him.
He's a lovely boy.

BB

CateH
11-07-10, 07:38 PM
The rear pasterns can be more upright than the front without any worries. As said above, it's more about if the slope of the shoulder matches the angle of the pastern.

My horse is fairly upright, he's an ASH, his sire is v. similar is running around at 29..... so don't worry :)