PDA

View Full Version : Hannah Dodd - an inspirational para-equestrian

woznme
23-07-10, 11:22 AM
I made this video to get Hannah more publicity. Please help Hannah by sharing the video, you never know who will sponsor her so the more who see the better the chance she has of fulfilling her dream!

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UVBZFmxNL0

Centaur
23-07-10, 11:47 AM
Brilliant! Best of luck to Hannah. But that video made me feel old! I visited her in hospital when she was first born!!

woznme
23-07-10, 01:39 PM
You are old... ;)

Centaur
23-07-10, 01:54 PM
Yeah, cheers! *sob*

woznme
23-07-10, 06:34 PM
No problems :)

kait21
23-07-10, 08:47 PM
I saw Hannah Dodd at Toowoomba in June and she was a lovely girl and fantastic young rider.

horsesRgr8
24-07-10, 12:33 AM
I am probably gonna get my ass kicked here.............BUT......................
from the other side of the fence........from you lot I mean.......

Why is she inspiring? I mean, sure she has a disability....so do thousands of other people, she's able to follow her dream.......she's been "lucky" to have had an upbringing that involved horses to start with, She's had lots and lots of support over the years to live as "normal" a life as possible.

To compete in open dressage is an expensive and time consuming pass time anyway, but add to that all the extra support she would have had, the purchase of quality horses, gear, transport etc....she's a very lucky girl to have had ALL that support just for a wish, dream or aspiration.

My dealings with RDA have involved training with potential Paralympians (sp)
and I was flabbergasted when I saw the sacrifices SO many people make to enable people with disabilities pursue their "dreams"

I may sound bitter, but am definitely not..........I have a disability that qualifies me to ride in grade 4 RDA, I was a reasonable rider, I had aspirations to ride as a Para Rider, but just seeing the commitment, money, time and personal support required to get anywhere......I was on my own...(oh, had non horsey husband and 2 kids)...as far as horse stuff was concerned. I wonder how far I might have gone if I had all the support these riders do?!

woznme
24-07-10, 06:54 AM
I am probably gonna get my ass kicked here.............BUT......................

Why is she inspiring? I mean, sure she has a disability....so do thousands of other people, she's able to follow her dream.......she's been "lucky" to have had an upbringing that involved horses to start with, She's had lots and lots of support over the years to live as "normal" a life as possible.

To compete in open dressage is an expensive and time consuming pass time anyway, but add to that all the extra support she would have had, the purchase of quality horses, gear, transport etc....she's a very lucky girl to have had ALL that support just for a wish, dream or aspiration.

and I was flabbergasted when I saw the sacrifices SO many people make to enable people with disabilities pursue their "dreams"

I may sound bitter, but am definitely not..........I have a disability that qualifies me to ride in grade 4 RDA, I was a reasonable rider, I had aspirations to ride as a Para Rider, but just seeing the commitment, money, time and personal support required to get anywhere......I was on my own...(oh, had non horsey husband and 2 kids)...as far as horse stuff was concerned. I wonder how far I might have gone if I had all the support these riders do?!

Hmmm...
every journey is unique and to compare how hard it is for each individual is a slippery slope. All I know is Hannah to me is inspirational as is all those who try to go "beyond" what can be perceived as limitations.
Whilst it is true Hannah has a the support of a loving family, surely she deserves just that? She has not had expensive horses bought for her and in fact the one she has to sell (selling her best friend as she says to fund her sport and dream) she has enitirely produced herself and the horse being a tricky thoroughbred. As far as I can tell her family do not have a lot of money but yes they do support her as you say, with love and committment to her.
When filming this I saw Hannah in extreme pain just to get on the horse by the end of her second test she was in tears from that pain. You say she is lucky, I say she is dedicated.
I am not denying your story or any other persons but to imply Hannah is "lucky" is does not sit right with me, considering the time, pain and effort she has put into it to achieve what she has. I would say luck has had little to do with that and she has gone way beyond what "luck" has given her with a crippling disease.
I for one was happy to provide my service free of charge just because Hannah did inspire me, :)

KelJ
24-07-10, 08:21 AM

Many of us find well known riders "inspirational" in different ways and many of those riders probably had fantastic opportunities to pursue their dreams, doesn't mean things they do are necessarily any less inspirational.

We could all probably be better riders if we didn't have the committments and the limitation we have (financial, physical and so on). It's just the way life is :)

gasbuster
24-07-10, 10:39 AM
I haven't loged in for a few weeks but this one got me in. I know Hannah from my daughter competing and training at young rider clinics with her. You may notice her mum fiddling with her legs and shoulder in the video- she's putting dislocted joints back in place. At the YR clininc in January this year she was riding a horse she was working for someone else and he dropped his head a few times when he didn't want to canter properly, Hannah rode it out, and then stopped to get mum to put the joints back in. She works just as hard as anyone else to do what she wants to, and she's doing it with what was a stressed and unreliable TB. As for all the "support" that she gets, it's no more or less than a talented netballer would get. She doesn't ride a flash horse or have flash gear and she's a good kid.

I speak with a degree of secondhand knowledge here, as my daughters coach is legally blind. 2 paralympics and world champs under her belt. She once made a comment about the opportunities her disability had allowed her to reach out to that she woudn't have had as an ablebodied rider, and was thankful for them, but hell, what a way to get the opportunities. Having said that, she no longer competes as a disabled rider, any ablebodied comp due to the politics involved in hte sport and the time and money required, but she just happened to be one of 5 NSW riders to qualify for this yrs CDI, on a 20 yr old ex racehorse.

These riders aren't after charity, what they need is all sorts of support because unlike you and I who are able to buy our $2000 horse and then train it to FEI level over a 10 year period, these riders have serious "useby dates" due to their injuries/disabilities- they need to speed the process up a bit.

They also have school, jobs, family commitments that hamper what they aspire to do, it just has a bigger impact on them that us ablebodied "athletes", and we can dream that once kids, career, mortage are under control that we can live our dreams. By that time, their bodies may well have given up on them.

Sorry for the rant, but living close to an "inspiational" person with a disability- they don't get it any easier than the rets of us.

horsesRgr8
24-07-10, 04:01 PM
In NO WAY did I imply she was lucky to have her disability..........:confused: as if!

LirioJaguar
24-07-10, 05:53 PM
Well, I know a paralympian who was born with her 'disability' and today I met a truly inspirational woman, Janine Shepard, who was almost, and still could be a paralympian who acquired her 'disability' later in life. Both these women inspire me, as does Gill Rolton, for different reasons.
I think people who succeed in things I value inspire me in general and I want to know what's driven each and every one in case I can ride off those coat tails for some way of my own journey :)
Best wishes to anyone facing their own disabilities - acquired, congenital, self-imposed - and kicking them up the arse to get to where they want.

woznme
25-07-10, 12:02 PM
Best wishes to anyone facing their own disabilities - acquired, congenital, self-imposed - and kicking them up the arse to get to where they want.

Well said!

acaciaalba
25-07-10, 07:31 PM
yes,,,well said.
its hard enough to achieve,,,,anything,,,your dream,,whatever,,,when you are 100% right/non disabled,,
to just do something,,,anything,,,with a disability,,,it doesnt matter if its just live,,,,let alone get out and do sport,,,and then a sport that involves horses,,,,!
how hard is it for able bodied people to ride,,,well,,,and achieve ??
to have your family support you is wonderful,,,and of course they would go all out to support this girl,,,,wouldnt you if she was yours ??
horserugs,,,no shit on you here,,,,at all,,,no crtiicism implied,,,,
its just that i think anyone who can do this with a disability deserves a bit of recognition,,,,it must be bloody hard for all concerned.