PDA

View Full Version : Why do you..

RTB
01-09-10, 04:33 PM
leave the webbing halters on horses out in their yards?

StElmosFire
01-09-10, 04:46 PM
Laziness? A death wish? Dunno. :confused: I absolutely never do it. (bloomin' little paragon of virtue, that's me.....:cool:)

Renvers
01-09-10, 04:56 PM
Ditto. A potentially very dangerous practise.
Actually I don't use webbing headcollars at all. Rope one for daily use, leather one for travelling.

cobie
01-09-10, 05:17 PM
Nope I don't leave them on my horses either, too dangerous. At work we leave leather headcollars on all the horses in their paddocks, I don't like it but have to do it.

CateH
01-09-10, 05:21 PM
never leave a halter on a horse of any kind - plus I hate webbing halters and use rope ones.

Only non-rope halters we use are actually Monty Roberts dually halters for a couple of the stallions.

RTB
01-09-10, 05:23 PM
I know it's dangerous and I have a rope halter and lead rope...
But so many people do it? I see horses all the time with them on.

CateH
01-09-10, 05:34 PM
I guess it's because they think the horse will be easier to catch? I honestly dunno....

On a positive note, I've seen plenty of horses break a webbing halter.... if a horse got well stuck they'd snap it anyway.

Maybe these people have shares in Horseland or something? ;)

OakyPoke
01-09-10, 05:44 PM
Mine dont wear halters in the paddock either.
I actually fear a couple of things. One is what a sharp pullback or constant pulling if a horse is stuck somewhere will do to the poll atlas/axis area. Very vunerable area.
My other fear is they will be easier to catch. Too much stock being stolen round here these days.

cyrus
01-09-10, 06:31 PM
My appi has worn a fly veil for many years with a nose flap and eye protection.
I know its dangerous, but its a choice of going blind and having terribly burnt nose- its a bit hard to sunscreen him, as he sooo hates it.
It has always fallen off or come undone, or they pull it off him.
Rugs can be just as dangerous if they come unclipped, it just seems to be- if you are unlucky- well unlucky it will be, some horses just seem t o panic... so the best thing we can do is help our horses cope with all sorts of odd things, and hope that if they get caught, they dont panic and struggle madly.
I think a grazing muzzle is just as dangerous- but some things just have to be done- for the better of a horse. Not taking a halter off is laziness, but those hard to catch horses can be easier if you have that problem... still theres a reason why the horse fears being caught too.

join the dots
01-09-10, 07:12 PM
My appi has worn a fly veil for many years with a nose flap and eye protection.
I know its dangerous, but its a choice of going blind and having terribly burnt nose- its a bit hard to sunscreen him, as he sooo hates it.
It has always fallen off or come undone, or they pull it off him.
Rugs can be just as dangerous if they come unclipped, it just seems to be- if you are unlucky- well unlucky it will be, some horses just seem t o panic... so the best thing we can do is help our horses cope with all sorts of odd things, and hope that if they get caught, they dont panic and struggle madly.
I think a grazing muzzle is just as dangerous- but some things just have to be done- for the better of a horse. Not taking a halter off is laziness, but those hard to catch horses can be easier if you have that problem... still theres a reason why the horse fears being caught too.

I too have a Snowcap Appy who burns to a crisp in summer...He wears his fly veil day and night (Vet orders!!) to help with the sun and then bugs at night...I pray that the velcro will fail rather than his jaw if ever he gets hooked on something...

Never, ever leave halters on...If you need a halter on to catch your horse, you have a training issue...

Bats_79
01-09-10, 07:16 PM
I've got half a dozen horses that live in halters (shoot me). You could call each one a break-away halter cause they are so worn out they only stay on because of the dirt in them.

I have never had a horse injured by wearing a halter in a paddock - all my weanlings live in a halter for weeks or months - until they let me catch them in the yard with no problem.

I've seem way more horses injured on gate latches and due to hoods in the paddock than ever injured from web halters. I don't leave rope halters on horses when I'm not present unless it is an emergency.

Muzziet
01-09-10, 07:16 PM
Never leave a halter on-probably 2nd rule learnt at Pony Club after don't wrap lead around hand.
Personally use rope halters as OH makes them for me, don't leave them on either.
Agree with Join the dots, if catching issue=training issue, get smaller paddock/bigger bucket :):)

Bats_79
01-09-10, 07:21 PM
And I'm well aware that these horses are wearing halters because they have a "training" issue.

But in each case I prefer the training issue than the way in which it traumatises the horse trying to hurry them through correcting this issue - unless someone wants to come out and teach the 23 yo mare that when I want to catch her again in 4 months to worm her or do her feet she will want to be caught. But I'm afraid she didn't come down in the last shower and she will let you catch her in the yard or small paddock until you grow old and mouldy but out in the big paddock she becomes instantly ear shy again and you can't get a halter on her.

reveleus
01-09-10, 07:46 PM
Ok, funny this topic has come up right now.

I hate webbing halters and always use the rope halters. Unfortunately I have had to dig out an old webbing halter to attach Shar-Lea's foaling transmitter to. It certainly doesn't hang properly on a rope halter but I am so paranoid about the halter being left on in the paddock............but nowhere near as paranoid as missing her birth. Can't wait til she pops out the kid and I can get that bloody halter off her :)

Garryngirl
01-09-10, 08:02 PM
I only use a rope halter myself but do have a web halter only in case my non-horsey family had to deal with my horse in an emergency and they have no clue how to do up a rope halter.

Don't think I have ever left a halter on in the paddock.

I personally wouldn't leave a rug on unless I can check it morning and night. A few years back we had torrential rain for day on end, during this I could not get up to check rugs, Jimmy's leg strap had broken and the rug had swung around like an apron and he had been standing in one spot on the rug for heavens know how long. He was very stressed. Never again unless I could check them daily.

Actually doesn't even need to be a piece of equipment. Casper once got himself caught well and truly with his tail. He had been rubbing on a heavy post that had a split in it. A big chunk of tail hair got caught and wrapped around the split. He had been stuck there pretty much all day judging by the amount of poop on the ground near him. Horses pppffffttt!!!!

RTB
01-09-10, 08:21 PM
Ok, funny this topic has come up right now.

I hate webbing halters and always use the rope halters. Unfortunately I have had to dig out an old webbing halter to attach Shar-Lea's foaling transmitter to. It certainly doesn't hang properly on a rope halter but I am so paranoid about the halter being left on in the paddock............but nowhere near as paranoid as missing her birth. Can't wait til she pops out the kid and I can get that bloody halter off her :)

What the hell is a foaling transmitter?

Bats_79
01-09-10, 08:23 PM
Like this....

Let it be OVER please...

http://www.forum.cyberhorse.com.au/forums/picture.php?albumid=32&pictureid=521

horsesRgr8
01-09-10, 08:30 PM
OMG Bats, she's huge!!! how many mares do you have dut to foal this year?

KristinBlue
01-09-10, 09:14 PM
OMG Bats... Poor mare, Its got to be uncomfy to be that preggas! My older mare used to get really bad ventral odema which makes them look HUGE! Does she have swelling or is that all baby?

MMC
01-09-10, 09:23 PM
Like this....

Let it be OVER please...

http://www.forum.cyberhorse.com.au/forums/picture.php?albumid=32&pictureid=521

Poor girl, I remember being that pregnant and BEGGING, literally begging the Obstetrician, to get it OUT.

Your poor girl probably feels the same. :(

Let us know when she is relieved. :)

RTB
01-09-10, 09:27 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if she was down there helping deliver now!

MMC
01-09-10, 09:32 PM
That poor HUGE mare. I do hope she is foaling now. :)

Garryngirl
02-09-10, 06:41 AM
Twins????

Remember wanting to do my own caeser at 26 weeks when pregnant with my daughter but it was all worth it.

gasbuster
02-09-10, 09:35 AM
In response to the original post- I've left webbing halters on in the paddock for 30 + years and never had an incident and my paddocks are not quite pristine. Primary use was to make the B..... easier for children to catch, but also to hold hoods , fly veils and neck rugs in place.

Djangoandjacana
02-09-10, 09:53 AM
In terms of leaving on, webbing halters are probably safer than rope halters as they break easier. It is the metal rings that seem to break easily as opposed to the webbing unless it is very old, I did have one disintegrate once on a horse that was tied up and then just, well, wasn't.

I use a rope halter 90% of the time but have some webbing ones as well (and some PVC ones).

I would virtually never leave one on but the mares who are foaling have to have one on and for the fist 24 hours after foaling I usually leave them on. I try and use old ones and I don;t thread everything though all the keepers.

But if you have to have your horses hooded then a halter is preferably to a hood over the head and a blind panicking horse. And some horses have to be hooded as they get the itch.

It is a matter of minimizing risk with everything you do because we don;t always live in perfect circumstances so you do your best.

At the big studs with lots of visiting mares some will have halters on to identify and for hard to catch mares (it may be a training issue at heart but when they are not yours you don't have that opportunity) though most seem to use the throat bands.

StElmosFire
02-09-10, 12:49 PM
We use fly masks in summer, which will pull away or break if under stress. No halters though. We are also in the rope halter family, but I have a couple of those nice webbing padded travelling headstalls - which don't often get used, except to lunge Elmo, or to show him off to visitors. You can't lunge in a rope halter, as it interferes with their eye on t'other side. Nicolette had a smart leather one with brass fittings and her name on a brass plate on the side. She rarely got to wear it, so it was rather a waste of money. Now I just keep it because it was hers....* sigh *

Centaur
02-09-10, 01:37 PM
Another here who doesn't leave halters on in the paddock. I can see the convenience for some places with large amounts of horses that need to be caught in a hurry. But that doesn't make it a safe practise. Neither does the argument of having done something for 30 years, just means you've been lucky so far and I hope that luck continues :)

Actually, I've just remembered something...I got into the habit of leaving headcollars on when the horses come into the stables to be worked. They come in, get fed, hang out whilst their mates are being worked, get worked, go out. I just got lazy about putting them on and off and I thought they couldn't get caught on anything in the stable. Well, they shouldn't anyway. But one did, got it hooked around the feed bin bracket! So, needless to say I reverted to tyre feed bins in the stable and no headcollars. If there's a way to get in trouble, they'll find it!! :rolleyes:

sheenanhodge
02-09-10, 02:02 PM
I've never liked leaving halters on horses. But there have been times where I would leave one on due to the horse. - mainly when I get a new horse in and I dont know how it will react going into the rolls, also yearlings when they go out in the rolls. - but that is for teaching, where they already have a halter on, and then I will go and catch them with another halter and put the second one on, and once they understand, they then go out without the halter on.

I have seen horses get their halters stuck and break their necks trying to get free. But then again I have seen stupid people tie the horse to a solid pole, and horse has killed itself trying to break free.

Its a two way street really with head collars i think, you do or you dont. :)

occy
02-09-10, 02:47 PM
I never leave a halter on in the paddock, i do leave flymasks on though.. but my horse tends to pull them off on his own accord when i forget too... and if it got caught on anything (not that there's much to get caught on in his paddock) then it'd just pull off anyway.

twelveoaks
02-09-10, 03:12 PM
I personally dont leave halters on in the paddock but have a neighbour who does.

I have recently come home to find the pony stuck on the gate latch via his webbing halter which was half off him anyway. So I took the halter off and away he went.

The halter has rubbed across his nose and around the ears so much it looked like he still had it on. Saw owners later that day and told them what had happened turns out the pony can get out of his paddock and leaving the halter on him makes it easier for anyone to catch him and put him back!

cobie
02-09-10, 03:21 PM
Saw owners later that day and told them what had happened turns out the pony can get out of his paddock and leaving the halter on him makes it easier for anyone to catch him and put him back!

Some people just shouldn't have horses.

twelveoaks
02-09-10, 03:27 PM
Cobie - very true, the stories I could tell you! nice people, no idea but
they get some expert advise of non horsey friends.

opensky
02-09-10, 08:49 PM
Coach I had told me of a pony who died as it's hind foot got stuck through the halter (probably having a scratch) and it was like that for hours, struggling to point of exhaustion, then died.

Seeing weanlings in halters always worries me, as with their slim legs the same could easily happen.

Regards