PDA

View Full Version : N/H - Puppies and Crate Training?

shadowmystique
02-09-10, 08:07 PM
I have put down a deposit and in a few months time will be the proud new owner of a puppy...
I'm very excited, have been wanting to get myself a new dog for some time and am finally in a situation where I can do it... I went on a road trip this weekend just gone to go and meet the breeders and their dogs and confirm that I like the bitch and dog I will be getting a puppy from... I don't just like them... I love them... they are stunning and everything I had hoped for :D

SO new puppy!

I have decided I would like to crate train but have not done it before... I'm looking for tips and trick and would like to hear how others have gone about doing and if it has helped settle their puppy and improve house training...

:D :D Can't stop smiling :rolleyes:

Cool Ponies
02-09-10, 08:11 PM
Awwww! What breed of pup are you getting??

Love love love crate training!!

I trained both my guys and they happily go in there crates when asked and usually of their own choosing.

Biggest tip is for it not to be too big. You only really want it big enough so they can sleep, stand up and turn around. If your pup is going to grow a lot. Divide off 1/2 the crate

shadowmystique
02-09-10, 08:14 PM
I'm getting a rotti... and her parents are of the large leggy variety of rotti... :)

Do you recommend those black wire crates? It would be easy enough to halve that while she is small(ish) and expand once she is bigger?

Cool Ponies
02-09-10, 09:26 PM
I love rotties!
Yep the wire one are the ones i have and most come with a divider in them.

I bought one i though my dallie would fit in, and a smaller one for my poodle x and he always managed to squish himself into the little one!! I ended up buying another medium sized one lol

StElmosFire
02-09-10, 10:26 PM
I'm not a dog person (don't own one) but am interested in the training of animals, what ever their species.... so can one of you please tell me - and the rest of us - what crate training is? Is it like "go to your room please" sort of thing? Like a security place they're taught to go to obediently? Sounds interesting.

KelJ
02-09-10, 10:36 PM
I'm not a dog person (don't own one) but am interested in the training of animals, what ever their species.... so can one of you please tell me - and the rest of us - what crate training is? Is it like "go to your room please" sort of thing? Like a security place they're taught to go to obediently? Sounds interesting.

I was wondering the same thing. Do they get locked in at night? I was picturing a rotti locked in a pen and was thinking 'hmmm, nup, I'd want my rotti out roaming the yard and keeping me feeling safe!'

Cool Ponies
02-09-10, 11:05 PM

Its like that, Like a den area where the dogs feel safe and are content to be. Makes it a lot easier for toilet training etc

StElmosFire
02-09-10, 11:27 PM
What? Do you mean they go to the loo in the crate? :confused:

Cool Ponies
02-09-10, 11:41 PM
No!! It means you can leave them in there and they wont (or shouldnt) go in there

shaiarabs
02-09-10, 11:50 PM
I am crate training for the first time and wow.. works brilliantly!!

I have a rotation of travel cage, crate, puppy pen...

as always tho.. I am taking the training as far as I can lol.. cant help myself.. he is learning when to relax, when to be free, when to toilet, when to be quiet, when to listen to the command or be placed back in the den...

catz
03-09-10, 08:58 AM
I have a Rottie that comes in and sleeps in her crate at night. I started off with a medium sized crate and upgraded as she grew, she is happy, sleeps well and it is great for traveling as we are taking her bed with us!!

I will admit I have thought of allowing her to roam free but she is happy with the routine we have so I see no reason to change it.

Be warned before 7/8 months even if they come in 9.30 ish they still need a pottie run, she has never ever soiled her crate but always asked to go out around 2ish. She is now hitting 12 months and sleeps all the way through, in fact she is waiting to come into her crate fro 7.30pm onwards :-).

shadowmystique
03-09-10, 04:56 PM
Catz that's great to hear, I want a nice stable routine and the dog to have a safe place, I'm not a fan of letting my dogs roam outside at night and this is not a security dog, it is a pet and companion... I also plan to do some showing and agility so being able to put the do in a crate at shows for them to feel safe and relax is improtant to me