PDA

View Full Version : Blud

raffles101
04-10-10, 08:01 PM
My Chiro suggested BLUD for Sam to help him pick up weight.
Anyone had anything to do with it before?

Sam's Current Diet (Still working up to his 'full feed'.)

4kgs chaff (He should be on 5+kgs)
2 1/2kgs of Prydes Old Timer (He should be on 4kgs)
500g Barley (Extruded) (It makes him really fizzy, so while he is on the break, I have put it back in his feed so he can put on more weight)
Cup (the one that comes in the bag) of equilibrium and Full Fat Soya Meal.

Split into 2 feeds, morning and night. Or if I can manage it, a lunch time feed too.
Ad-lib Hay.

Here is the link.
http://www.horsesuppliesdirect.com.au/prod127.htm

Oh, and he has 24/7 water and lick block access too.

pauper
04-10-10, 08:37 PM
Hi Raffs will be interested to read others comments as ive only heard of using the blud sachets to help with low iron not for weight gain as such.

we used the sachets when a horse of ours was showing lowered white and red blood cells it didnt do anything though (Numerous tests never showed the cause either :( ) what did help was giving him a supplement (keloato vit) that contained a good amount of vitamin c.

have you had Sams blood checked? as i can remember reading giving to much iron can cause constipation and they should only be given blud over a course of a couple of weeks not long term.

NikJ
04-10-10, 08:45 PM
Your vet might be able to supply a steroid paste without a visit. When my oldie came home skin and bone the vet gave me this. I remember it was a black tube like a wormer and you gave one turn of the ring each day. Really helped with his weightgain and this was after he had his teeth done and the vet felt it was going to help him.

Blud isnt bad but if overused you will be dealing with impaction colic.

Bats_79
04-10-10, 08:50 PM
Why so much chaff? I have had horses come back from death's door and I have NEVER fed more than 1 kg of chaff. Wasted effort in feeding. :rolleyes:

What does it matter if his energy levels go up while he is gaining weight.

I still firmly believe you should be replacing 3 kgs of chaff with 750gms copra and 750grams rice bran.

NikJ
04-10-10, 09:01 PM
I didnt look at the feed when I mentioned the steroid. Are you feeding any hay?

I wouldnt be surprised that you need more equilbrium. Look at Kohnkes Cell Provide - much smaller serve amounts. Have another play with your Feedxl.

4kgs chaff - would look at 4 - 5 kilos of hay.
2 1/2kgs of Prydes Old Timer (He should be on 4kgs) - Look at Nutririce Veteran - is cheaper and dont think you will need to add additional soy meal as in the pellet.
500g Barley (Extruded) (It makes him really fizzy, so while he is on the break, I have put it back in his feed so he can put on more weight) - fizz is the energy he hasnt got right now. Look at a kilo a day (mitavite dipper).
Cup (the one that comes in the bag) of equilibrium and Full Fat Soya Meal. - refer to kohnkes comment above

raffles101
04-10-10, 09:05 PM
He is ad-Lib hay. He goes through about 8 biscuits of Prime a day (Leaves some behind.)

cbrown
04-10-10, 09:10 PM
8 biscuits and all this?? Are you joking? He should be obese. That's like 183 units of DE a day excluding grazing. That's insane, there must be someone eating his dinner. Truly I can't imagine a horse even being able to get that lot down. arrrgggh I am freaking out, can you tell :D

4kgs chaff (He should be on 5+kgs)
2 1/2kgs of Prydes Old Timer (He should be on 4kgs)
500g Barley (Extruded) (It makes him really fizzy, so while he is on the break, I have put it back in his feed so he can put on more weight)
Cup (the one that comes in the bag) of equilibrium and Full Fat Soya Meal.

edited to add: Sorry wigged out at the portion size and forgot the actual point. I can put you onto the Virbac rep if you want, she's a rider and they make the stuff so I reckon she could help you out.

mackiemad
04-10-10, 09:12 PM
i've only ever heard of blud being used for low iron levels, not for helping weight gain... not sure how it would work on/with a horse who's iron levels are normal?

but then i'll put my hand up and say that i'm not exactly sure what is in it, i assumed it was an iron booster but really have no idea!

raffles101
04-10-10, 09:22 PM
Thanks for that... I thought it was odd, just wanted to see what you guys thought. :)