PDA

View Full Version : Zipping today/did you see him?

acaciaalba
13-11-10, 08:47 PM
today Zipping, a 9 year old gelding by Danehill won the Sandown Classic for the 4th straight time.
and correct me if i am wrong,,,but from memory he has come out and done this at his next run after running 4th in the Melbourne Cup for the 4th time.
now THAT is a great old horse, is he not ???

darkhorse3
13-11-10, 08:49 PM
He was stone motherless last in the Cup on the bend and passed 19 horses on the run to the post! He is a champ.

MMC
13-11-10, 09:23 PM
Fantastic effort to in the same race 4 times in a row. Proof he is a great horse. :)

But amazing that a horse is considered an old timer at nine. ? Only in racing. :(

acaciaalba
13-11-10, 09:29 PM
He was stone motherless last in the Cup on the bend and passed 19 horses on the run to the post! He is a champ.

so right !! what a run in the Cup,,,,,beat all those "champion " imports,,,,
what an underated horse he has been.

ally2
13-11-10, 10:37 PM
he's now the 4th horse to win the same stakes race 4 times after Lord, Manikato, Tie The Knot & had a International Federation of Horseracing rating of 120 before todays race
So You Think & Zenyatta are rated 125 & just in the top 10 - Zipping is just incredible not only for his age but he's world class

acaciaalba
13-11-10, 11:32 PM
oh there will be someone say he is a plodder,,,,you just watch !!!

ally2
14-11-10, 01:24 AM
his owner Lloyd Williams says he's not the best horse he's had (& he's had a few gooduns) but he's the toughest - I wouldn't mind owning a plodder that had won $5.5 million -

Zampari
14-11-10, 10:17 AM
It was a great run. He led early too which isn't something he normally does. He's normally off the pace a bit. He really dug deep down the straight and was going better than anything on the line. He's a tough old boy. I love him. His cup run was great too. Probably should have finished a little closer than he did.

gdh
14-11-10, 05:07 PM
Fantastic effort to in the same race 4 times in a row. Proof he is a great horse.

But amazing that a horse is considered an old timer at nine. ? Only in racing. :(

Unfortunately few owners are as patient & horse friendly as Lloyd :( Yes, he does have the $$ to enable him to take time but so too do 'all' the others!
I was told many weeks ago the extent he goes to in order to get the results he does & they're mind boggling to us mere mortals :D e.g. Zipping & all his best ones have their own galloping partner who, no matter what it cost does nothing but work with the designated mate :eek:. They also have to ridden walk something like an hour pre work no matter the weather & Mt. Macedon resemble the Arctic in winter! But................I believe he has 3 solariums in use!!
Racehorse longevity is dependent patience but unfortunately that is an extremely expensive commodity & there's still no guarantee of any return.

OakyPoke
14-11-10, 08:29 PM
Yep I watched the replay at 4am this morning, got up early for a show. Our TV is right next to a very large window that the horses can see into. My tb was staring at the screen with his eyes boggleing. It could be that I woke him early for brekky....but I like to think he was amazed at Zippings efforts also :-)

Fair Embrace
14-11-10, 10:26 PM
Lloyd has had tougher, but unfortunately we probably never saw the best of them.
The whole galloping partner thing is wrong though. They call them a chopping block and basically they are sent out in front to make the 'better' horse learn to chase. Unfortunately these chopping block horses never get to live up to their potential as they are conditioned to 'lose', they are not supposed to fight it out. Certainly sometimes the chopping block ends up tougher than any of them, but then I'm nearly certain that Zipping may have been a chopping block for other horses.
Zipping is a real hero for horse racing and I must admit Lloyd may have his knockers but his team has done a wonderful job with this horse and he has displayed great patience as an owner

Tb Lover
14-11-10, 10:38 PM
Damn Good Point ... 'Fair Embrace' .... ('the chopping block')

That 'pony' you would of given up Years Ago.... BUT HE KEEPS COMIMG BACK - What a Fella!:)