PDA

View Full Version : Sth Gippsland Agistment

LirioJaguar
12-12-10, 10:12 PM
Getting closer to our move and I still have one horse - so close to Christmas, finding and paying for a second horse (let alone a third) is unlikely.
Therefore, I have decided I need agistment close to our farm. Unfortunately, the only one that is listed in my google searches is Kardella Palms - now defunct and still on the market and, it would appear, unsellable.
Anyone know of anyone offering agistment in the Korumburra/Ruby/Arawata area? I have a friend in Poowong I may have to call on, but would rather stay in my locality.
Any leads at all would be greatly appreciated :)
I'm just not there enough to know the neighbours further up the road, and our immediate neighbours are weekenders, too.

skymare
13-12-10, 08:43 AM
are you brave enough to go for a drive? i do that. maybe do some door knocking. i'm sure people won't mind since you're moving there. i have a friend in korumburra, but she's not horsey so i can't ask her. never even heard of ruby before. and i LOOK at maps a bit. looks like you're going a fair way out. nice area.

LirioJaguar
13-12-10, 08:57 AM
It's not a bravery issue, thus far, it's the fact we live in the Dandenongs and get to the farm on weekends with heaps to do to get it ready to live on (in a shed and caravan!) :( With two small children! Degree of difficulty factor - once I have some leads I can drive out to inspect and have a chat :)

sassy_k
13-12-10, 10:04 AM
Well damn, if you said you needed it in 6 months I'd be able to help you out, lol :)

You're best bet is to stick your head into any grain stores, saddlery stores, or the likes down that way and see if anyone knows of anything :)

skymare
13-12-10, 10:05 AM
aren't you moving to warragul, sassy? i'd have to visit you again if you do since i drive there to see my old girl.

LirioJaguar
13-12-10, 10:22 AM
I've emailed my new club, and we'll be down again on Saturday without my 4yo, so driving around will be MUCH easier (he drives me batty wanting to stop at every playground and every bakery - not that I do these things, but him harping at me from the back seat diminishes my quality of life!).

carluke
13-12-10, 10:27 AM
Hello's then Neighbour :D

I live in Ruby :D

Kardella Palms def not running anymore. The closest I can think for Agistment is down on the old Korumburra road (which is just at the Leongatha end of Sage's and Logans's road) Apparently the Torranto's "may" offer agistment down there - But personally I can't confirm that.

Have a chat also in the saddlery. The guys in tehre may have some suggestions. Actually there is a notice in there for Agistment on Barnes road at the Highway end I think you'll find.

Cheers,

ally

LirioJaguar
13-12-10, 10:44 AM
Oooh, the carriage and Friesian place??? Was going to check there, too!
Where you at the BBQ yesterday? I wanted to go, but we were due for lunch in Mt Eliza :(
Definitely neighbours - we're just behind Ruby :)

carluke
13-12-10, 10:57 AM
Nah the place accross the road from the Rumps (Kardella Classic Carriges - Not sure that they are running anymore either think Col may have retired, the friesians aren't there anymore??) place. They have only just moved the houses on the property - But am sure they advertise they do agistment.

We didn't go to the bbq either, we don't generally get alot of time for that sort of thing sadly - But if you ever want a riding buddy we are just next door to the rumps (the house is on the highway) or at least our hay paddocks are at the moment.

LirioJaguar
13-12-10, 11:26 AM
Definitely looking there on Sat, thanks! If I get a chance I'll pop in and introduce myself. Are you in a riding club? I joined the one further west, cos I don't have a float to get to regular rallies at Leongatha, and didn't want to pay club fees for a club I hardly use...but still need riding insurance.
We'll be down on Friday night, as our neighbours are hosting a neighbourhood BBQ :)

carluke
13-12-10, 11:52 AM
No Worries look forward to meeting you if you get the chance - yep am a member in Leongatha - It's a great friendly club (or so I have found) haven't been able to get there though of late but hopefully soon :D

Our number is 9115 (on the mail box) The other option may also be stopping in at the waughs place (just a bit further down the highway) Tintanarra ponies not sure if they will do agistment but guess it wouldn't hurt asking

LirioJaguar
13-12-10, 12:00 PM
Looks like a great club - can't wait to have a float and join there!
Thanks again :)

happy horses
13-12-10, 09:31 PM
liriojaguar have PMed you.

LirioJaguar
13-12-10, 10:14 PM
Thanks! Great to have these possibles :)
I'm jumping out of my skin to be living on our farm - the first time I've found myself wishing Christmas would stop interfering with my life...

LirioJaguar
15-12-10, 08:21 AM
Thanks, everyone, I'm going to pursue the paddock buddy avenue, with two offers already. Thanks for all replies :)

LirioJaguar
04-01-11, 12:32 PM
Carluke - will drop in soon! I've spoken to a local person about bringing my boy down in her truck or float. They don't officially do horse transport, but may be able to swing this one for me :)

balmonty
04-01-11, 06:52 PM
OOOh, someone in my territory!!!

I have friends around the corner in Outtrim (about 15 mins from Korumburra) who have ajistment. Individual paddocks with Shelters, rugs on and off and an arena to ride on. They will hard feed for you, excerise, etc.

Phone 0356573289

Good luck!

skymare
04-01-11, 07:59 PM
sorry to hijack, but as an aside, do any of you go to korumburra fish and chip or pizza shop? an old friend worked at those two places. was dating the owner. was thinking about visiting, but it was a while ago. friends name is tash. can't remember the bloke though.

horsesRgr8
04-01-11, 08:04 PM
I'm heading down that way in a cuppla days, heading to foster and Walkerville.....funny though, in my head, I get the layouts of korumburra and leongatha mixed up........until i drive through.....I must drop in ob bats one of these days....as i go through Koowee...

LirioJaguar
04-01-11, 08:06 PM
I use Kays in the Burra - is that the one? Don't know the names, just the faces of the people there :) So far, anyway!
Balmonty - where are you? I've decided to pinch a couple of younger steers for my horse paddock, while I wait for the 'borrowed' horse to arrive, and will follow up on HH's offer shortly :) So, I'll be on farm as of next week, and no longer a Melburnian ;)
ETA: HRGR8 - I'm going camping to Walkerville in Feb, I love it down that way, particularly Bear Gully! The Burra is one road, mainly, and the Gath is a few streets with things in and around - took us a while to find the IGA...but we found it!

skymare
04-01-11, 08:08 PM
i don't know the shops name. it's been years really.

gosh i'm excited for you. the idea of moving to a property fills me with jealously towards those who have.

LirioJaguar
04-01-11, 09:48 PM
I was in full swing of excitedness until I realised the implications of not agisting, just today...I can't just take off on weekends or long weekends, assured that my horse will be looked after! Doh! I'll just have to get real friendly with the neighbours ;)
Meanwhile, I barely saw OH this week just gone because his 'mistress', the Solo backpack took him off to cavort with ragwort...leaving me to the kids and a caravan site that needs lots of work within the next fortnight to make it liveable...*sigh*...!