PDA

View Full Version : New years resolution off to a good start! n/h

RTB
05-01-11, 05:43 PM
My new years resolution was to drop to a BMI of 22% and drop to a weight of 70something.
I've had a Wii fit for a while buy haven't really used it, 10 days ago I jumped on and it said i'd lost 1.2kgs in about a month since i'd used it last! Great! Today I jumped on after seriously rethinking my diet and convincing my mum to let me buy the food I want to buy, i'd lost 2.2kgs in 10 days! CRAZY. I know it's alot in such a short time and there are 'rebounds' but I haven't done anything drastic, im still eating, getting the right amount of sleep, cut out fizzy drink, only treat myself if i've been good.
I was just flabbergasted that i'd lost so much in such a little time! This year seems it's gonna be a good one! Got a boyfriend (after a year of being single.) going to WA in 2 weeks for a nice holiday, (Dads staying behind to feed the Rubsta, cause he couldnt get time off work) I get to spend 8 days in an apartment about 20 metres from the beach. My brother bought me a spa treatment over there so I get to get pampered, for once.
My sisters getting married this weekend, and my brother got married 3 weeks ago. Family threatens im next, we'll see about that.

Anyways, a little update about everything.

thesaddleclub101
05-01-11, 08:36 PM
RTB please, please, please be careful.

I know you are trying to be healthy, which is fantastic, so many diseases and medical complications can be avoided by staying in a healthy weight range. BUT when I hear about young girls like yourself setting weight loss goals, and venturing into diets and what not, it makes me shudder.

I don't care what anyone has to say about this, because quite frankly, if you haven't experienced an eating disorder you wouldn't understand - but this is how they start. You need to be so careful RTB that you don't become obsessed with this whole thing, and treat it exactly as what it is - a "healthy lifestyle change" not exactly an endeavour to lose a bunch of weight.

You are a beautiful young lady and I would hate, hate, hate to see you consumed by an ED. I have a cousin at the moment on the verge of death, after starving herself for years and over working her body and I have another friend who weighed 150kgs a few years back and would now be lucky to tip 45kg on the scales. It is terrifying what these disorders can do to young people.

Just please, be careful. Remember food is a necessity, don't deprive your body of what it needs (fuel). Good luck.

RTB
05-01-11, 08:42 PM
I know exactly what they can do not only to your health and your family, a 15yo cousin is anorexic and off the rails. She's wild.
Skinny as a twig.
I do see it as a whole lifestyle change, i've never felt confident with myself or comfortable with the way I look or how much I weigh.
I did go to the doctor and he gave me tips and stuff, im going for monthly checkups and the like.

StElmosFire
05-01-11, 10:27 PM
Sounds like you're being very sensible about it, RTB.
I'm tall and slim - my BMI is 18 - and I'm a distance runner as well as a dressage rider. But I also love to cook, and to eat nice meals. The key is to eat sensibly, healthily, and to remember "portion control" - you can enjoy most things you like, provided you don't binge and eat stupid/greedy quantities of the "naughty" foods.

half_pass
05-01-11, 11:04 PM
Apparently I have the BMI of an anorexic, which is so not true. I am therefore somewhat sceptical of BMI's being a great indicator of ideal body weight! :rolleyes:

If you keep your weight loss goals realistic (and a 22 BMI is far from dangerously skinny), focus on a healthy, balanced diet and moderate exercise - as well as seek help from a good doctor or nutritionist, then I think you are on the right track,

RTB, it is so good to hear that you are having such a great start to 2011! Enjoy the pampering and the beach (don't forget your sunblock and sunnies!!).

StElmosFire
06-01-11, 08:37 AM
TSC, I know you've had big problems with eating disorders, and I'm so glad you seem to be on the right track now.:) But when something really bad happens to us, we sometimes tend to get a bit too much swung in the opposite direction. While anorexia is a dreadful thing, being obese is also a dreadful thing.... and you only have to look around the shopping centres these days to see that Aussies are turning into a dreadfully overweight, and very unhealthy, society. There are way too many obese people Wombling along filling their supermarket trolleys with vast quantities of highly unsuitable "foodstuffs", and proceding to dig their way into an early grave with their cutlery. :mad:

There's a happy medium, and people who have woken up to the fact that they're steadily gaining weight, and want to do something about it, are to be commended, and encouraged to do something sensible about it. Note that I said "something sensible"..... not trying some of the weirdo starvation diets that you read about in magazines!

Just remember - "all good things in moderation" is a very good motto! Healthy food, healthy attitude, healthy excercise, and enjoying regular little treats, all makes for a happy and healthy person! If you can find a good mentor to guide and encourage/support you along the way, so much the better.