PDA

View Full Version : N/H Am I at threat?

holeswagon
10-01-11, 06:49 PM
I have been hearing the news about all the floods and have been watching the news but I don't know what other areas are in danger?

I'm in the Northen Brisbane suburbs, Everton park, Ferny Grove, Arana Hills, The Gap
And my horse is at Bridgeman Downs and is being moved to Samford (Highvale)

Is any of these areas at threat or close to it?

I'm moving to Mt Isa in 1 week and 4 days is it flooding there or close to it?

I'm really quite scared for my horse the two dogs and myself, my partner and our cars/property...I dont know what we would do without them all, not to mention family and friends!!

shaiarabs
10-01-11, 07:32 PM
they have evacuated gatton so it gives you an idea of where the water is heading too..

cbz
10-01-11, 07:49 PM
If you draw a straight line down the hill from Toowoomba, through Gatton it would be pointing straight at my area. Having said that, the Darling Downs is a big flat area so I think it will spread out and dissipate before it gets here (hoping anyway). I think in Toowoomba a large wall of water got trapped in a narrow area and gave it speed and power. A bit different from what's happening in Gympie, Maryborough and Dalby.

Having said that, I don't think what's happening at the moment is at all predictable because we just haven't seen these conditions before. And our "backup" plan from the '74 floods, the Hinze Dam is full. And we are due for a king tide on Friday. So all bets are off.

NikJ
10-01-11, 07:55 PM
Will get to my place first cbz so I will let you know :D

Not worried here, am not beside the river or in the flood plains.

The suburbs you have mentioned may get waterlogged but are not known for flooding.

Now transporting the horses or driving to Mt Isa may be an issue as you wont be past the water until you are past Longreach.

added:
The Wivenhoe is being reported at being at 140% - note the 100% is drinking water height. There is the same again for flood control and they have 5 gates open trying to get the levels down. As long as the wall holds if/when its at 200% most of Brisbane will do ok.

Of course the areas below the '74 flood levels that have been approved for heavy residential/industrial (and there is a lot) should be preparing or even getting out now.