PDA

View Full Version : Landscape, sourvinor breeding

trav mac
14-02-11, 11:49 PM
ha all, im think about breeding from some mares we have at home. they are both landscape and sourvinor bloodlines and our stallion is out of a landscape mare. what i am woundering would there be a market for this bloodline still in australia. brothers of the mares we have have placed at would cup level and i am prity sure won horse of the year before, although most of the horses are b grade show jumpers they were given no chance to prove them self as we only competed about 5 times a year. it is just a blood line i dont want to lose as may dad has had it for approx the last 35 years but i can not see the point of breeding just to leave more horses in the padock

Tb Lover
15-02-11, 12:46 AM
Where are you? We had a mare in the 70's by Souvenir lines ........ the breeder imported the Stallion from Vic to NZ - '74 I think?

alpha_17
15-02-11, 08:19 AM
I love the souvenir bloodlines!!!

cbz
15-02-11, 08:32 AM
I am also a big fan of the souvenir lines. I used to have a wb mare who was by Contact out of a mare by Koyuna Supreme (Souvenir) - a mirror image pedigree to Koyuna Majestic Supreme who was by Supreme out of a Northern Classic (Contact) mare, I believe. Those lines are still around in a LOT of very well performed jumping horses, so yes, if you can afford to breed, I think there would be a market (amongst the older generation who know the line).

trav mac
15-02-11, 03:22 PM
the horses are in sa, its not so much the price it coats to bred it is weather there is a market because we have finally got under 10 horses now so i dont want to build up a padock full of horses doing nothing again

Pigeon
15-02-11, 08:54 PM
This breed has done and is doing extremely well, particularly in eventing. I think you should talk to Wendy Schaeffer (she lives in the hills area of S.A.). She has done brilliantly with this breed and will probably go the London Olympics next year on one of them. She makes a lot of horses and sells them, and if you had her advice and a market for them I don't think you could go wrong. But, do remember, that your market for selling young horses is not so huge, as most people today want to see some ability before they buy. You could also google Koyuna Stud and you should get a lot of information from there. Howard Clarke is still involved with breeding , but now his son Darren is involved and is also on Face Book.

Tb Lover
17-02-11, 10:24 PM
the horses are in sa, its not so much the price it coats to bred it is weather there is a market because we have finally got under 10 horses now so i dont want to build up a padock full of horses doing nothing again

They will NOT do nothing again! Did you follow up 'Pigeon' post? AND DON'T GET RIPPED OFF - THEY ARE BLOODY GOOD HORSES! :)

trav mac
19-02-11, 11:14 PM
will follow up next breedint time as im in the nt now and its to late to get any in foal as it would cause a few arguements with the old man, thanks for the advice all