PDA

View Full Version : How to present for pinto class

PeeGee
16-02-11, 08:05 AM
Hi,
I am planning on going to my first Ag show this weekend. I have a pinto warmblood and I am taking her in the pinto classes. I was just wondering what the normal standards are for the pinto classes. Should she be plaited or mane left out? Should I put make up on and clear or black polish her feet. Tail, braided or clipped? Are you allowed to carry whip. Anything else I should know about. I have a black jacket and slacks. I have a pic of her below, in paddock condition. She is a two year old.
Sorry for all the questions, I have never shown in hand before.
Thanks in advance.
Peegee.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc123/Biscuits79/IMG_7855.jpg

Miniature Lover
16-02-11, 10:00 AM
Heya!
Pintos are are usually show un plaited,unless you are going in the hack classes,for that case you need to be plaited,but just for the pinto section of the class leave her her mane and tail out.
just trim her bridle path and make sure her mane and tail are neat and tidy.

Your girl seems to have near black hooves...so I would say blacken them...if she had of had more shell coloured hooves then I would of suggested clear.

Make up is up to you totally... but seeming as she has a black head I would do the following

Clip above her eyes,just a little bit not much,just enough so that you can get some clear make up and run over the top of her eye (I am talking about the horses "eyebrow" if horses where to have eye brows.)

For her nose because it is brown I would look at mixing some vasoline with some black covere creme (I am talking 3 drops of black make up here and about a table spoon of vaso) mix that up with a tooth pick or similar and take a rag and wipe over her muzzle wipe it on,the wipe it back off....it will leave some behind but wont lock as fake!.

I suggest giving it a run thru before the show! so you can play around with what you like...
This is just my opinion and there are much more seasoned showers out there that will have different advice and opinions!

Also if you do opt for hoof black instead of clear can i suggest the Joseph lyddy one, it comes in an applicator like a shoe polish bottle,rather then a brush with the runny black stuff, will make it so much easier for you to apply it near those white stocking! doesnt run or drip and will keep it all clean for you.

Miniature Lover
16-02-11, 10:03 AM
Oh,you can get a clear make up with black tint rather then making up my vaso concoction....I just like to cut costs but it is called Alto black I think from the saddle shop...same thing as the vaso concotion but about $20 for a small tub

Koalas_rule
16-02-11, 10:22 AM
PeeGee are you going to Maitland this weekend? I am too (as a spectator). Good luck!

lalique
16-02-11, 10:33 AM
In Victoria they are shown as a show hack- fully plaitted and prepped, unless they are a breed pony who is shown "natural" as per their standard.

Personally I prefer the plaited bigger horses as it looks far more finished and in line with their being saddle types

shaiarabs
16-02-11, 11:02 AM
In wa you present as per the horses breeding, so in your case they would present as a warmblood...

Sweety Pie
16-02-11, 11:27 AM
Id always show a Pinto "english"

ie plaited, hoof black, tail if applicable

Pallies and native breeds (and some others) are really the only ones left natural in terms of mane etc

Another tip, is regardless of what your showing, western, pinto, pally, hack etc..is view the bigger shows photos on the Horsedeals Gallery. If you can find the photos from your Pinto State show this will give you an accurate description/picture of how to present you horse. Yes its a bigger/higher level show than an Aggie..but why not aim for a higher standard of turn out

In fact, I went and found it for you

http://www.horsedeals.com.au/gallery.php?restrict=&showID=6338

Some are left natural, but I personally wouldnt

http://www.horsedeals.com.au/gallery.php?restrict=&showID=5819

Koalas_rule
16-02-11, 12:17 PM
Actually, if it's any help I watched the Warmblood classes being judged at Maitland last year (there were hardly any entrants so it went very quickly!) and all entrants were plaited ...

Dragoness
16-02-11, 12:18 PM
No tips, have fun plaiting her though :).....

Seriously, what day you on? Appy show is this weekend as well (according to the email I just got) I thought about taking me feral to that for the lead classes, but Im not motivated enough, lol.

Cheers

alwhitten1
16-02-11, 12:36 PM
She is such a pretty girl! Can't wait to see her after a salon visit :D

horsesRgr8
16-02-11, 01:00 PM
READ THE TITLE...
The O P has stated she's entering the pinto classes
I would leave the filly unplaited....just tidied up, hoof black, minimal make up, ears trimmed,
Are you showing her in a bridle, filly slip or western type halter?

shaiarabs
16-02-11, 01:28 PM
READ THE TITLE...
I would leave the filly unplaited....just tidied up, hoof black, minimal make up, ears trimmed,

yes horsesRg8 and you would not show any warmblood in a western halter.. its pinto not paint

being a warmblood she should be in english atire... not western, if the horse was of any western lines then they would wear western gear

Koalas_rule
16-02-11, 01:28 PM
You're right horsesrgr8, I am guilty of being lazy ...

Dragoness I hear you re motivation, but I need to have a serious talk with my neddy. I have loads of motivation now, and he's gone and made himself lame hasn't he. Methinks there is conspiracy afoot ...:)

Sweety Pie
16-02-11, 01:39 PM
READ THE TITLE...

I would (as per the links posted of Pinto State shows), plait and make her up as per those photos

I would dress her "english" including plaits, make up, hoof black and false tail seeing as this is how they do it at State level for a non-pony type :)

Yes, pinto not paint

Pinto being "English", Paint being "western"

Even a dual registered animal at a none western show (aggie) I believe looks more appropriate in English

horsesRgr8
16-02-11, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the lesson re: pinto = english and paint = western....didn't realise that :).....anyway, she's still a filly ( youngster) and just my opinion, i'd not plait...

Sweety Pie
16-02-11, 02:12 PM
Ooops read wrong :o

lalique
16-02-11, 02:40 PM
Horsesrgr8 as you dont know the difference between paint and pinto (and the gear they wear) I very much doubt you are aware of how to show a warmblood in pinto classes.. it should be shown plaited

I have a personal dislike for people answering Q's when they are uninformed- it confuses the OP. If you want to offer advice: please make sure you are "sure" of the answer

If I sound a bit rude it is only because of the nature of your first post regarding "read the title" when you apparently do not understand the Q at all

shaiarabs
16-02-11, 03:02 PM
just to back up my info and experience, I have shown and prepped a pinto state champ in WA...

lalique
16-02-11, 03:52 PM
Oh heck SA that was not directed at you at all!! Sorry if you took it that way- it was directed at HRgr8- they were rude and then gave bad advice!

Muzziet
16-02-11, 04:36 PM
I would say as per a warmblood therefore a ridden horse therefore a hack type english presentation.
If she is not yet broken in and in a filly class you might be ok unplaited.
Our rule of thumb with the arabs was once they were broken in they were plaited.

Most important to be squeaky clean and colour co-ordinated with a smiling handler. Have fun :D

PeeGee
16-02-11, 05:33 PM
Hi All,
Thanks for all the replies. She is 2yr 4mths old, no yet broken about 16hds. This is her first outing, So I'm not expecting much from her. I will be very grateful if she does not have all four feet off the ground at one time. Yes I'm going to Maitland Show on the Sunday, just for the Pinto Class, to see what its all about. Will be going over on the Saturday to sus out what goes on. She will be shown in a bridle and by the looks of the majority I should plait. :) Well try at least.
Thanks again all, We'll she how she goes on Sunday. Fingers crossed.

shaiarabs
16-02-11, 05:49 PM
Oh heck SA that was not directed at you at all!! Sorry if you took it that way- it was directed at HRgr8- they were rude and then gave bad advice!

didnt think that at all mate... was just backing up my statements lol :p

horsesRgr8
16-02-11, 06:35 PM
Horsesrgr8 as you dont know the difference between paint and pinto (and the gear they wear) I very much doubt you are aware of how to show a warmblood in pinto classes.. it should be shown plaited

I have a personal dislike for people answering Q's when they are uninformed- it confuses the OP. If you want to offer advice: please make sure you are "sure" of the answer

If I sound a bit rude it is only because of the nature of your first post regarding "read the title" when you apparently do not understand the Q at all

I said read the title due to other posts assuming she was showing as a warmblood.
Secondly....I stood corrected, are we not allowed an opinion?
Are you going to tell ML off too???? Or is it just your dislike of me and my opinions....mmmmm

oats and barley
16-02-11, 06:54 PM
I would also show her plaited, also please make sure you trim up her fetlocks. Also dont shave the tail either plait it, leave it natural or pull it properly. I also wouldnt do a bridle or wither path. Goodluck on the day.

shaiarabs
16-02-11, 09:39 PM
Hi,
I am planning on going to my first Ag show this weekend. I have a pinto warmblood and I am taking her in the pinto classes.

I said read the title due to other posts assuming she was showing as a warmblood.
Secondly....I stood corrected, are we not allowed an opinion?
Are you going to tell ML off too???? Or is it just your dislike of me and my opinions....mmmmm

mate the assumption was yours.. see my quote above yours with the bolded words... from the op

Miniature Lover
16-02-11, 09:46 PM
All the pinto classes I have seen never have plaited horses...that is just me.... Dont shoot the messengers!

horsesRgr8
16-02-11, 09:56 PM
SHAIARABS''mate the assumption was yours.. see my quote above yours with the bolded words... from the op "

MY point was, she's entered in Pinto classes nOT warmblood classes

wow you have a short memory!

In wa you present as per the horses breeding, so in your case they would present as a warmblood...

MUZZIET"I would say as per a warmblood therefore a ridden horse therefore a hack type english presentation."

KOALAS RULE " Actually, if it's any help I watched the Warmblood classes being judged at Maitland last year (there were hardly any entrants so it went very quickly!) and all entrants were plaited ... "

THESE COMMENTS ARE WHY I POSTED

horsesRgr8
16-02-11, 09:59 PM
All the pinto classes I have seen never have plaited horses...that is just me.... Dont shoot the messengers!

I'm with you ML....too late for me..geeez.i'm dead already:D

lalique
17-02-11, 06:36 AM
HRgr8 you are immature and have issues.

Your post included Caps which are considered shouting and rude- and totally unnecessary. Dont get all huffy because some people do not agree with you.. and dont appreciate your scarcasm- when you have it wrong!

Also learn to read before you post- the posts you quote are saying to present your PINTO as per its breed standard- which is plaited for warmbloods. You might benefit from some classes in comprehension and reading skills

And if you want to persue me in other threads I can give back as good as you dish out. I am not interested in a war- but I will not back down to a silly twit either

lea-owens
17-02-11, 09:54 AM
At Ag shows you are best showing your Pinto 'according to breed' as it may be assumed they will also be shown in their breed classes. So, a Pinto that is registered as a Paint can be shown in bands with western halter & handler in a western outfit (though, if you show your western breeds pinto as a hack, then you can plait and present in English), a Pinto that is an Arabian can be shown in an Arabian halter with mane & tail out, a Pinto that is a Warmblood can be shown English with either neatly pulled-&-free or plaited mane & tail. Personally, I like to see the extra care of full show preparation and see the English horses plaited and shown in an English lead in halter/bridle (according to age), particularly if there is a "Best Presented", as the plaits really set the elegant necks off and define the hindquarters nicely, but it may not matter that much at the Ag Shows as you may have a judge that doesn't know much about Pintos (e.g. sometimes the Pintos are put in the western ring after the Paints and some judges may judge it as another Paint class rather than as a colour class with many breeds represented).

It is certainly easier to simply have a neat 'free' mane & tail, and you won't be penalised for it, but if you look at some of the higher level Pinto shows (such as state shows or classes at Royals) you will see many of the horses shown according to breed or type: bands for western, plaits for English/ dressage/ hack, running plaits for some hunter or Spanish types.

Links from the Horse Deals Gallery:

Some Pintos at a Royal - note the Supreme Exhibit, Holster Touch Me Not, (near bottom of page on right) is actually a western breeds horse that has been shown English for this and is plaited and presented in an English bridle. http://www.horsedeals.com.au/gallery.php?showID=1178

http://www.horsedeals.com.au/gallery.php?showID=2809

http://www.horsedeals.com.au/gallery.php?restrict=&showID=6338

Harriette
17-02-11, 09:56 AM
I show native ponies, so cant plait,
but if I were to (somehow) show a broken-coloured non-native, and wanted to be 'in the running' ('cause imho, for a broken-coloured horse...I like her:eek:) I would plait

outside of the natives,

there are the plaited and the non-plaited, and the latter seems to have to put in a bit of extra quality.

Davy went in to a Supreme Ridden All-breeds class, all other horses were plaited, we felt a little 'undone', but if I had been plaited, I wouldnt have been judged! (ie asked to leave).

Soooooo, embrace the plait ??????

have a great day regardless,

shaiarabs
17-02-11, 12:24 PM
SHAIARABS''mate the assumption was yours.. see my quote above yours with the bolded words... from the op "

MY point was, she's entered in Pinto classes nOT warmblood classes

wow you have a short memory!

good god mate, it is a pinto class.. they range in breed from miniature right up to warmblood...

* Minis do not plait
* Arabian bred mostly don't plait (unless they are out hacking - very rare) so the rest are freeflowing manes and tails
* Quarter horse or western lines will band as per western rules
* Warmbloods do the flat plait and then tape
* Pony bred usually plait but again depends on if its ridden or not

it will vary on the breed the horse is, the pinto part does not factor in that choice...