PDA

View Full Version : Main Event Photography.

sergundo
18-02-11, 03:42 PM
Don't they just take amazing photos? I don't think Peter had missed yet!
And yes; this is another way to have a self-indulgent brag about how pretty Goosey looks in these photos :)

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/180878_10150144436497323_573802322_8012801_8169583 _n.jpg

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/164792_10150133944412323_573802322_7871612_6003699 _n.jpg

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/167623_10150133944492323_573802322_7871615_1026063 _n.jpg

Pipi
18-02-11, 03:48 PM
Nice pics, Goose is looking great... I just figured out that I have actually done a clinic with you before at Camden just before you found Goose.... ;)

cobie
18-02-11, 03:55 PM
Peter is fabulous isnt he, Ive bought dozens of their photos. And you cant beat their customer service - I had a small issue with my prints from Wallaby Hill, and they were replaced the next day free of charge :)

... Taff
18-02-11, 03:56 PM
I like the first photo best.

And despite the harshness of the time of day (noon-ish?) he has a softness in the photo that I am sure I couldn't get. Wonder how he did that?

How come the chess board and knights have been put in later? Not so keen on that. If they'd been present in reality, then that would look great.

sergundo
18-02-11, 03:57 PM
No way? Who was I riding, do you remember? I can't remember doing a clinic before having Goose, though I could be wrong!

Nice pics, Goose is looking great... I just figured out that I have actually done a clinic with you before at Camden just before you found Goose.... ;)

... Taff
18-02-11, 03:58 PM
Wait a minute...

Would using a flash help to soften harsh shadows of the sun at noon?

sergundo
18-02-11, 03:59 PM
looks fake doesn't it ? I'm sure many that were at the event can attest to the fact that they are real !! I can even show you my own photos to prove it :)

How come the chess board and knights have been put in later? Not so keen on that. If they'd been present in reality, then that would look great.

ASHlover
18-02-11, 03:59 PM
Are they photo shopped in?

Because I was looking at it thinking they did not look real ... but then thought why would they be photoshopped in ... maybe it was a REALLY ugly jump???? lol

I have been staring at them trying to work it out and have come the conclusion - I have no idea either way!!

Great photos!!

Bohdi
18-02-11, 04:03 PM
Are they photo shopped in?

Because I was looking at it thinking they did not look real ... but then thought why would they be photoshopped in ... maybe it was a REALLY ugly jump???? lol

I have been staring at them trying to work it out and have come the conclusion - I have no idea either way!!

Great photos!!

no photo shop here! they look freaky dont they, but they were real! everyone who looks at these photos assumes straight away that the chess pieces were photo shopped...

ASHlover
18-02-11, 04:05 PM
lol...they look fake straight up.

Then I was looking at the shadows etc, and thought they had to be real. Plus the horse is clearly jumping something - so does not make sense to photo shop in it.....lol

It would be interesting to see them in real life, they look pretty cool!!!

Still, fake looking or not - excellent photos!

Bohdi
18-02-11, 04:10 PM
lol...they look fake straight up.

Then I was looking at the shadows etc, and thought they had to be real. Plus the horse is clearly jumping something - so does not make sense to photo shop in it.....lol

It would be interesting to see them in real life, they look pretty cool!!!

Still, fake looking or not - excellent photos!

http://www.maineventphotography.com.au/event%20albums/Wallaby%20Hills%20Jan%202011/Pre%20Novice%20SJ/index.html

Hi ASH the jump was from the pre nov sj at wallaby hill, have a look at some of the long shots, helps to appreciate the fence.

ktgirl88
18-02-11, 04:12 PM
Haha definitely not fake. Check out the video at 1:19... thats my beautiful boy with the blaze jumping the same jump (but bigger in the 1*)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKsKki4St7U

sergundo
18-02-11, 04:14 PM
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/179008_10150133857912323_573802322_7869978_2117744 _n.jpg

..... just to prove it :) and if you REALLY don't believe me, look on the Main Event Website under Wallaby Hill and you will see 60 other people jumping it ;)
Although they do provide great customer service, I doubt they would go to the effort of photoshopping in chess pieces to everyones photos he he.
But yes Cobie, my first print had a tiny yellow dot on it.. Judy reprinted for free. The first photo went missing in the mail, Peter sent out another for free.
They are just lovely people !!

Pipi
18-02-11, 04:17 PM
Um, if my mind remembers correctly it was the first time Camden opened up the course to have lessons at. We were with Morgan Crane and I think you were riding Saratani (spelling ??), Geez I hope I have the right person, this could be slightly embarrasing if yopu are not whom I think you are !!!!

ktgirl88
18-02-11, 04:18 PM
Judy and Peter are fantastic.

Have you seen the photos that Matthew took that weekend? He got some amazing shots of my boy, but his are more artistic photos. He posts his on facebook. I can send you a link if you want.

sergundo
18-02-11, 04:20 PM
Pipi yes! That is me! Wow, you have a great memory! That was literally a few weeks before I got goose I think? That was my first ride since breaking my ankle, I was so nervous. Especially when he starting prancing and pigrooting.. I nearly cried! But I've got my lovely safe boy now :)
Yupp Katie I had a look, he takes lovely photos.. And the ones of Cheers look amazing!

Renvers
18-02-11, 04:21 PM
For those still confused the jump is made of a photo of chess pieces adhered to a flat surface. You can see the edges of the timber (or whatever the material the fill is constructed from).

Bohdi
18-02-11, 04:23 PM
Haha definitely not fake. Check out the video at 1:19... thats my beautiful boy with the blaze jumping the same jump (but bigger in the 1*)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKsKki4St7U

He's a lovely boy Katie!

ASHlover
18-02-11, 04:24 PM
haha - it is ok - I believe it is not fake! :)

Pretty cool painting though to make it look like that.

Thanks Bohdi, those photos were good to see it in the long shots .... still looks the same!!

I have a question though, photo 34 .. the grey ... where are its back legs???????

ASHlover
18-02-11, 04:29 PM
Oh, never mind......looking further along he tucks them up so it looks like he has none ... must not like hitting the jumps ... :D

sergundo
18-02-11, 04:29 PM
I have a question though, photo 34 .. the grey ... where are its back legs???????

tucked RIIIIIIGHT up and parallel with the top rail... That horse is a very careful jumper from memory. I could be wrong but it looks like Jaimee Tinney.. Stuart's daughter.

Pipi
18-02-11, 04:37 PM
ha ha thank god i got it right!!! you weren't the only one who was nervous that day, it was my first time over any xc fences and I was promised there would be some small ones :rolleyes:.... I was the one who dismounted polietly at the log ....

gypsy_dreamer
18-02-11, 05:35 PM
Taff there's a few tricks in Photoshop that give a fill flash effect too and work well when you're on the wrong side of the sun.

Jenny Barnes 1
18-02-11, 05:43 PM
Sergundo - can I just suggest that before promoting a business on a forum that you check that said business IS a contributor to the website and note that they are in your post?

Posts like this are a form of advertising which is fine if they are a contributor/advertiser to cyberhorse (or whatever website) but its is incredibly unfair to the website if the promoted business is not associated in any form.

I have no idea if this photographer is connected to Cyberhorse but just putting it on here before there are a heap of these 'hey isnt this business great' type posts.

There have been issues on various forums over the years when free promotion of various products got plenty of 'airplay' and then subsequently been a 'banned' subject (various types of shoes, browbands, etc were big ones some years ago).

Bohdi
18-02-11, 06:16 PM
Sergundo - can I just suggest that before promoting a business on a forum that you check that said business IS a contributor to the website and note that they are in your post?

Posts like this are a form of advertising which is fine if they are a contributor/advertiser to cyberhorse (or whatever website) but its is incredibly unfair to the website if the promoted business is not associated in any form.

I have no idea if this photographer is connected to Cyberhorse but just putting it on here before there are a heap of these 'hey isnt this business great' type posts.

There have been issues on various forums over the years when free promotion of various products got plenty of 'airplay' and then subsequently been a 'banned' subject (various types of shoes, browbands, etc were big ones some years ago).

I have sent you a PM.

... Taff
18-02-11, 08:01 PM
Thanks Renvers. Upon hearing that the stuff was there, I revoved the hair away from my eyes and looked more closely. Yes, you are right: photos that are really there.

Jenny Barnes 1, the 'goings on' about a certain weight increasing feed, a kind of shoe (sigh) and perhaps others (don't recall the browband one, thank goodness. What could be worse than a whopping saga about browbands?) was due to certain behaviour or something from that company itself, if my memory serves me correctly (which it probably doesn't.) I've never seen any evidence of Bill throwing a tanty over normal, genuine chat.

Dragoness
18-02-11, 08:30 PM
I don't see a problem with this post. What is the difference between someone saying they love someone's photos and someone saying they love a certain saddle. If someone/anyone consistantly does a good job, then singing their praises sholdnt be a problem.
Or is the problem that you yourself are a photographer and dont like the competition getting praises?

Cheers

Lin2
18-02-11, 08:36 PM
Well, I would imagine the photographer would have a problem if people are just copying their photos from the proof site, withuout actually buying the photo from them. There are copyright laws that restrict that sort of thing. I would never post a watermarked pic. Not saying Sergunda has done that, as there are no watermarks on her initial ones.

Nice pics by the way.

Bohdi
18-02-11, 08:48 PM
Thanks Renvers. Upon hearing that the stuff was there, I revoved the hair away from my eyes and looked more closely. Yes, you are right: photos that are really there.

Jenny Barnes 1, the 'goings on' about a certain weight increasing feed, a kind of shoe (sigh) and perhaps others (don't recall the browband one, thank goodness. What could be worse than a whopping saga about browbands?) was due to certain behaviour or something from that company itself, if my memory serves me correctly (which it probably doesn't.) I've never seen any evidence of Bill throwing a tanty over normal, genuine chat.

Taff Thankyou for this post. This was
an enjoyable fun non promoting thread until the cyberhorse police came onto it!!!

Bohdi
18-02-11, 08:51 PM
I don't see a problem with this post. What is the difference between someone saying they love someone's photos and someone saying they love a certain saddle. If someone/anyone consistantly does a good job, then singing their praises sholdnt be a problem.
Or is the problem that you yourself are a photographer and dont like the competition getting praises?

Cheers

Thanks dragoness sensible post

wtk
18-02-11, 09:29 PM
I have seen the Mane Event photos before and have some myself. They like many are great equine photographers.

I do really like the chess piece photo, the horse looks so relaxed and has a beautiful style over the jump.

You have turned him and yourself out beautifully and should feel exceptionally proud of the results of your hard work.

as for the photographic nazis, let them go to the other forum and be nazis over there.

Jenny Barnes 1
18-02-11, 10:04 PM
The browband issue may have been on another forum. All I'm saying its not appropriate to get on a forum and praise a business without confirming that the business is an advertiser/contributor on the website. It has been discussed here and elsewhere before.

Hallo
19-02-11, 12:15 AM
Your horse looks great, but the photos are lacking sharpness and contrast imo.
Sorry but they are not great photos visually. Underexposed and washed out would be more accurate.
Tough but true. ;)

Dragoness
19-02-11, 07:25 AM
The browband issue may have been on another forum. All I'm saying its not appropriate to get on a forum and praise a business without confirming that the business is an advertiser/contributor on the website. It has been discussed here and elsewhere before.

So I was right, the issue isnt really that they are praising a business, its that that business is in competition with you and you feel like CH is your territory.
People are going to praise business all the time, in fact
Raymond Terrace Vet Clinic, love them, they do a brilliant job! They don't advertise on here, but Im going to praise them anyway for anyone in the RT area.

Cheers

opensky
19-02-11, 07:57 AM
Super-looking horse! :) Rgds

StElmosFire
19-02-11, 08:14 AM
There's a subtle difference between praising a business, and saying how happy you are with them, and blatant advertising. In these days of people being so quick to criticise and shoot down in flames, it's nice to see people enthusing about others and their service/work. A unsolicited testimonial, if you like.

darkhorse3
19-02-11, 08:16 AM
Speaking of browbands.... I really like yours in the pics. I have heard a few debates re the 'v' browband and I think it looks great on your horse!

Kilronan
19-02-11, 08:32 AM
They are fantastic I love love love them, alwayse budget for photos when I go to comps.
I can tell all those who think there is alot of photo shop in these photos that it would be completly impossible for mainevent photography to photoshop all their photos before they are viewed and purchased as you can generally see the photos of you entire class within an hr of it being finished!
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/28572_449305763985_566048985_5865454_557162_n.jpg
This is a cropped version of one of my most recent Main event photos!
Or this....
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/2402_67312873985_566048985_2153421_5037_n.jpg
Ph and I have paid for these and have permission to use them for advertising.

Bohdi
19-02-11, 10:02 AM

Why??

Are Stallion, Pegasus, Nissan Nivara, Toyota Hilux and Landcruiser, Keiffer, Bates, horse boot products, different food supplements, Sky Park, Caribu horsewares, WeetherBeeta, best horse massagers, numerous nominated horse dentists, countless recommendations for riding coaches, best farriers, and the list goes on...advertiser/contributors on this website...???

You can not have rules for one area of business and not others.

Charlypops
19-02-11, 10:11 AM
I agree with Hallo, you and the horses look great. But the actualy quality of the photographs is pretty crappy.

lea-owens
19-02-11, 10:20 AM
You both look great - fabulous photos. I thought the chess jump was photoshopped then had a good look and saw it was just the effect of the painted chess pieces.

Kilronan, yours are fantastic, too!

Very impressed by the jumpers amongst us.

Hallo
19-02-11, 10:45 AM
Here's a pic taken on a cloudy day, and from a professional piccy taker you should expect nothing less than this quality.
Sharp, good contrast, no distracting background. :)

http://www.pbase.com/wildoat/image/123167709/original.jpg

Hallo
19-02-11, 10:58 AM

Hi Jenny,
I wouldn't get too riled about this. People will, and have every right to speak highly of a product or service that they have had a good experience with, or conversely, negative, if its a dud.

I don't believe the OP had any other motive other than to show us the pics of her horse and that she was very happy with them.

You can't stop it, nor should you try.

I guess if you are into selling images of your work, then let your images do the talking, good or bad.

It just makes sense, no?

... Taff
19-02-11, 11:04 AM
Here's a pic taken on a cloudy day...

But Halo, even if I were to take a photo on a cloudy day, I could get a lovely shot.

Cloudy days are LUUURVELY for photos as the lighting is so good - you don't get any yukky shadows.

However, a photographer cannot book cloudy days for events, I imagine.

Now, if I had taken that photo (trhe first one, which I happen to like the best), I know before I even see the result that it will be awful because I can only take a good photo in the early morning OR on a cloudy day. And if this keybnourd doesn't stop sticking, I am goinmg to pound it into the desk.

... Taff
19-02-11, 11:05 AM
AND, one can see by the shadow of the horse that the shot wasx taken at about midday - a notoriously awful horrible imettime of day I cam getting so close to murderung the wretched keybourd.

Hallo
19-02-11, 11:24 AM
But Halo, even if I were to take a photo on a cloudy day, I could get a lovely shot.

Cloudy days are LUUURVELY for photos as the lighting is so good - you don't get any yukky shadows.

However, a photographer cannot book cloudy days for events, I imagine.

Now, if I had taken that photo (trhe first one, which I happen to like the best), I know before I even see the result that it will be awful because I can only take a good photo in the early morning OR on a cloudy day. And if this keybnourd doesn't stop sticking, I am goinmg to pound it into the desk.

Howdy Taff,
My original comment about being a cloudy day is to the photographers disadvantage, not advantage.
Clearly we are at odds with this concept. Oh and my sympathy,
RE: the keyboard.

Shooting in good sunlight offers many technical advantages to the shooter that I won't go into right now. Thanks.

... Taff
19-02-11, 11:42 AM
Yes, I agree with your last sentence.*

Shooting on a sunny day can give stunning results, esp if you have the sun in front of you but your camera is protected my some shade, and you get that wonderful 'back lighting' in the photo.

BUT, shooting on a cloudy day can solve many problems that can be faced if the shots are taken at midday. And if you are photographing every horse in a competition, then some of those horses will be jumping at that less than ideal time of day.

If you care to explain further, I am all ears. I like a bit of photography.

darkhorse3
19-02-11, 11:44 AM
Regardless of who is right and who knows more or less...that, is a great shot Hallo. The motion of the horse, the expression of the rider, the focus on the primary subject with all else paling into insignificance, no noise. This is my kind of shot.

... Taff
19-02-11, 11:56 AM
Agree Darkhorse, it's a great shot (except for the lighting ha ha). It's very WELL composed blah blah. I think I have my nose out of joint as the photos first put up were knocked by others. No one is saying that the first photos are the best photography in the world, or the country, but the owner of them likes them. And i'm glad.

No, I am not that photographer. Nor am I related, or having a fling with him. Or being paid in any way. Unless you count this delicious pile of of lucerne hay I am munching on right now. Yum Yum.

And yes, I do sound like I am carrying on. I need to go and ride my horse.

Hallo
19-02-11, 12:04 PM
Yes, I agree with your last sentence.

Shooting on a sunny day can give stunning results, esp if you have the sun in front of you but your camera is protected my some shade, and you get that wonderful 'back lighting' in the photo.

BUT, shooting on a cloudy day can solve many problems that can be faced if the shots are taken at midday. And if you are photographing every horse in a competition, then some of those horses will be jumping at that less than ideal time of day.

If you care to explain further, I am all ears. I like a bit of photography.

I can but I will keep it brief and without too much jargon.
The best sunshine is early and late, simply because of the additional soft colors it can add to your image. The late afternoon magic hour which is really 15mins is the best.

Technically the more sunlight you have can allow several things to happen.
1. Shutter speeds can be maxed out freezing the action.
2. Smaller apertures can be used while maintaining a decent shutter speed as well as bumping the ISO's This has an advantage with some lenses in that they are at there sharpest when stopped down. Hmm, that's tech speak isn't.

a. To expand on that, stopping down in aperture means, its making the hole that the light comes through smaller, it does however affect the deep of field (now referred to as DOF)
b. DOF can be good and bad. A shallow DOF means only what is focused on is in focus, the rest in front and behind that point is out of focus. This is also known as rendering and Bokeh.

Ok so without going into too much more tech stuff cause it becomes a jargon fest from here on in, shooting in sunlight allows greater contrast, and good aperture choices. Imagine a black horse if you will, you get much greater definition of the animals coat and veins etc if sunlight is skimming over it. If there is no light, it is much more difficult to get that definition.

This is a very basic overview of why sunlight is way better than an overcast sky.

Having the sun in front of you makes it very difficult to achieve definition, no matter how much shade you find. We will have to disagree on this one.

Hope that explains my position a little better for you. :)

StElmosFire
19-02-11, 12:15 PM
Kilronan and Hallo - lovely action photos! Thanks for sharing. I love looking at good photos. I don't care who's taken them - they're just very nice! Well done. :)

frogfriday
19-02-11, 12:43 PM
I would be happy for the discussion to go into the most technical of technical discussions, as it would be a great opportunity to learn.

I recently spent mucho cash-o and bought a mega camera to make up for my short comings as a photographer. As a result, I now have no excuse for bad photos, and do want to learn more... much, much more!

In fact, I'd be interested in putting up some photos and the camera settings (if I can coax them out of the properties) for critique (for which I would be thankful!).

As an aside, I think that a lot of horse photographers are 'just' (no, I know that nobody is ever 'just' a 'just') regular people with a nice camera & lens, who would like to take some photos of something that they love and hopefully make a few dollars out of it.

I don't think that all that many are true 'professional photographers'.

cobie
19-02-11, 01:25 PM
To the people who were commenting on the quality of the original photos, bear in mind that they are not the actual original print or digital copy, they've been scanned, which can affect the quality/colour...

Hallo
19-02-11, 01:31 PM
I would be happy for the discussion to go into the most technical of technical discussions, as it would be a great opportunity to learn.

I recently spent mucho cash-o and bought a mega camera to make up for my short comings as a photographer. As a result, I now have no excuse for bad photos, and do want to learn more... much, much more!

In fact, I'd be interested in putting up some photos and the camera settings (if I can coax them out of the properties) for critique (for which I would be thankful!).

As an aside, I think that a lot of horse photographers are 'just' (no, I know that nobody is ever 'just' a 'just') regular people with a nice camera & lens, who would like to take some photos of something that they love and hopefully make a few dollars out of it.

I don't think that all that many are true 'professional photographers'.

Howdi frogfriday,
Why not start a thread, call what you like, something along the lines of "The Photo Critique thread", you never know where it will lead.

Anyone can call themselves a professional photographer, very true, I prefer to see what they are offering as images, than look for a title.

There are 3 ways to critique a picture.

1. Oh its lovely and you did a good job.
2. The plain truth. warts and all, with suggestions on how to improve.
3. Plain old criticism with no suggested remedies or suggestions.

Some people cope with it and some don't. Most if not all critique is constructive and should be tho many will criticise rather than critique. There is a difference. Also be aware that some will respond and will have less of an idea than you.

its a tough gig, this forum thingy. ;)

Maybe a photo forum is the go to find like minded people?

Anyway.

Hallo
19-02-11, 01:34 PM
To the people who were commenting on the quality of the original photos, bear in mind that they are not the actual original print or digital copy, they've been scanned, which can affect the quality/colour...

That's a relief.

Dragoness
19-02-11, 02:50 PM
haha, beat me to it Cobie!!!! I was just about to point out that the photos would have been scanned in, which loses clarity for sure!

Cheers

Kilronan
19-02-11, 04:10 PM
Exactly Cobie, and as stated before these shots are not edited much if at all.
No offence intended but if the shot Hallo put up was of me and my horse I would probably not buy it. It does not show the horse in a good position over the fence, you can hardly see the jump etc etc, I honestly don’t care too much about a lot of the stuff discussed on here in regards to lighting and background if it is a clean crisp well timed image that is all that matters to me when buying a photo, if I want them photoshopped then that is a different matter but the ones you but are a pretty raw image.

... Taff
19-02-11, 05:45 PM
And it's not just that (that the photos were scanned in and lost some quality) it's that the photographer himself was not putting in his own photos and saying "Look what I done. Aren't I the ants pants?" It was a happy customer wanting to share a photo that she likes of a horse she loves. And we don't have the right to say, "That photo is blucch."

But yes, I'm with you FrogFriday. I would like the full jargon version of this stuff. A photo forum might be a tad boring as they will be photographing just any old thing.

It's a good point you make, Hallo, that you can define the veins of a hot-blooded stallion or whatever by placing the sun at the right angle, and skimming those raised vessels. And yes, if it's definition you want, a sharp silouette, then the sun must never be in front. BUT, if it's vanilla bright you want from the blonde mane of a palomino or a cute as a button chestnut with a flaxen mane and tail, then a sun in front of you just might fill the bill.

sergundo
19-02-11, 06:54 PM
Thankyou everyone for your lovely comments! I really appreciate it.
To be absolutely honest, this post was a round-a-bout way of posting photos of my boy, basically because I think he looks wonderful, and my position has improved so much, and I was pretty chuffed with the overall "picture" that we have created together. Trying to have a non-obvious brag!! Forgive me :) I don't necessarily care about the little things other photography whizzes are pointing out. I don't understand it enough, I just like having records of each event.
Jenny if you would like to come out and take photos at events, be my guest, and if you did a great job I would be the first to sing your praises. Judy and Peter have fantastic customer service and are just all round great people, so I will tell anyone who listens how good they are. Take it with a grain of salt if you wish! This is not advertising, it's telling people I was happy with a product; though really that wasn't the intention of this post!

Oooh and yes, they were scanned. If anyone would like to see them in real life, I can assure you they are very sharp and not so over exposed in the flesh. Some of my Main Event photos you can see my freckles!

Lin2
19-02-11, 07:48 PM
There is nothing to be forgiven for, Sergundo! Covert or overt brag with photos, who cares? LOL. All photos gratefully received.

I just wish I had some of me where we actually flew over XC jumps (with horse ;) )

Wymah
19-02-11, 09:04 PM
Having only just caught up with this thread, to those regular eventers that posted such generous comments - thank you very much indeed. Your positive support really is much appreciated.

To Jenny Barnes - if you had approached this through the forum admin, you would have found that Berni would have no problem with this thread at all. I have been able to help her out on occassion and I am sure that she would be happy with this. I hope you are as quick to protest threads that rubbish other service provides as compliment them.

To the other photographers in this thread - great to see so much interest. I would like to add another critique category for professionals - are people willing to buy your photos? For those of us with bills to pay, that is the most important and keeps us trying to improve all the time.

Peter, Main Event Photography.

Hallo
19-02-11, 09:19 PM
Having only just caught up with this thread, to those regular eventers that posted such generous comments - thank you very much indeed. Your positive support really is much appreciated.

To Jenny Barnes - if you had approached this through the forum admin, you would have found that Berni would have no problem with this thread at all. I have been able to help her out on occassion and I am sure that she would be happy with this. I hope you are as quick to protest threads that rubbish other service provides as compliment them.

To the other photographers in this thread - great to see so much interest. I would like to add another critique category for professionals - are people willing to buy your photos? For those of us with bills to pay, that is the most important and keeps us trying to improve all the time.

Peter, Main Event Photography.

Hi peter,
Nice first post!
I guess the troops were rallied to inform you of the attack. :)
Don't sweat it mate, its all good. I do believe Jenny was stirred into a post by the nice people here and did a fine job imo of not taking it further. Trolls and all, feeding etc, you understand.

I can't wait till you start the "are people willing to buy your photos thread?" it will be a great thread I am sure and will be a fine second post. My participation is ensured. Now for those of you with bills to pay and trying to improve all the time, I look forward to your second installment.

Bohdi
19-02-11, 10:14 PM
Hi peter,
Nice first post!
I guess the troops were rallied to inform you of the attack. :)
Don't sweat it mate, its all good. I do believe Jenny was stirred into a post by the nice people here and did a fine job imo of not taking it further. Trolls and all, feeding etc, you understand.

I can't wait till you start the "are people willing to buy your photos thread?" it will be a great thread I am sure and will be a fine second post. My participation is ensured. Now for those of you with bills to pay and trying to improve all the time, I look forward to your second installment.

hallo, jenny barnes was not stirred into a post, jenny barnes was way out of line, and knows it and that is why she has not continued taking it any further, hardly a fine job!

Your come back to Peter is hardly eloquent, or convincing, but rather someone who has been caught out speaking behind his back.

Hallo
19-02-11, 10:27 PM
hallo, jenny barnes was not stirred into a post, jenny barnes was way out of line, and knows it and that is why she has not continued taking it any further, hardly a fine job!

Your come back to Peter is hardly eloquent, or convincing, but rather someone who has been caught out speaking behind his back.

You hold an opinion which is a bit different to mine. Good for you.

As for my post to Peter, it was never meant to be eloquent nor convincing. I have never met him nor heard of him or main event photography for that matter till this thread. The same goes for Jenny Barnes. I could care less to be totally frank.

If you are going to take a shot at me at least get your facts right. Talk about jumping to conclusions.

You just sound like a complete fool making statements like that.

Kilronan
20-02-11, 08:08 AM
There is nothing to be forgiven for, Sergundo! Covert or overt brag with photos, who cares? LOL. All photos gratefully received.

I just wish I had some of me where we actually flew over XC jumps (with horse ;) )

No no, I only hope that if/when I fly over a jump without my horse that peter is there to catch it on Camera!! As I know Judy will have way to much fun showing me and everyone else! :D

sergundo
20-02-11, 03:06 PM
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/16953_308135672322_573802322_4599517_5028479_n.jpg

There you go, Kilronan!! And forgive me for this one being watermarked. Don't worry, I think we have bought enough to pay off Peter and Judy's mortgage!
Just for a purpose hehehe

Kilronan
20-02-11, 04:56 PM
Love it, if that was me hubby would have it blown up and on the wall!! :P

ktgirl88
20-02-11, 05:16 PM
Peter and Main Event Photography are amazing. Each photo that I have posted on CH (with the watermark) have been purchased but I just don't have a scanner.
I have a photo wall in my room that consists of ONLY photos from Main Event (not purposely only from them, but they take the best photos!) with several photos of every grade from newcomers to 1* and I can't wait to start a 2** section! I have left room at the end for a 3*** section :-)

I know a room in a friends house that is covered in photos from Main Event, from floor to ceiling (high ceilings at that) on all 4 walls. Yes she has a few horses and so many photos are taken of her at each event, but if the photos weren't great, she wouldn't have bought them.

I had an amazing photo taken when I was prelim at Mirabooka of my horse pretty much doing a belly flop into the water jump. He tried to jump the whole water jump instead of just dropping in. Needless to say, I got the A4 print of it and it's hanging, proudly in my 'prelim' section on my wall!

Love your work Peter. See you at SIEC next weekend!!

... Taff
20-02-11, 05:22 PM
Well said, Bohdi.

Couldn't have put it better myself.