PDA

View Full Version : this is priceless

mindari
19-02-11, 08:49 PM
Your government at work
You will love this one, For those of you who have never travelled to the country , cattle guards are horizontal steel rails placed at fence openings, in dug-out places in the roads adjacent to highways (sometimes across highways), to prevent cattle from crossing over that area. For some reason the cattle will not step on the "guards," probably because they fear getting their feet caught between the rails.

Last year, Kevin Rudd received and was reading a report that there were over 10,000 cattle guards in NSW & Queensland. Graziers had protested his proposed changes in grazing policies, so he ordered the Minister to fire half of the cattle guards immediately!!

Before the Minister could respond and presumably try to straighten him out, Minister for Employment Julia Gillard, intervened with a request that before any cattle guards were fired, they be given six months of retraining.

And now she is running our country.

Passed on to you without further comment....

Harriette
19-02-11, 08:53 PM
oh the poor darlin's
did some one show them a picture of cattle first so they would know what the guards were guarding?
:D
cheers Mindari, that is rather amusing,

bless Julia, at least she was trying to find the guards alternative employment:o

(we call them 'cattle grids' way down here in the deep south; much less political confusion)

mindari
19-02-11, 09:00 PM
oh the poor darlin's
did some one show them a picture of cattle first so they would know what the guards were guarding?
:D
cheers Mindari, that is rather amusing,

bless Julia, at least she was trying to find the guards alternative employment:o

(we call them 'cattle grids' way down here in the deep south; much less political confusion)

yes i had the same thought as i copied and pasted it, just received it in an email from a very old friend.

did wonder who in govt called em cattle guards instead of grids too

GoneRama
19-02-11, 10:35 PM
Makes one wonder hey? I have always called them cattle grids not guards. Whatever they are called this is still rather amusing.

GailR
19-02-11, 10:54 PM
They are called cattle grids in Qld too.

This has been going around for a long time now. Its veracity is suspect as far as I am concerned.

acaciaalba
19-02-11, 10:55 PM
i just think its rather sad that anything west of parramatta,,,north of hornsby,,,south of the gong,,,doesnt exist for most people.
everything is for sydney.
what about this wide brown land west of the great dividing range ???
dont we count ??
and how about educating kids to know about places and country and life out of cities ?
so they know what a cattle grid is ?
multiculturalism ( spelling ? ) stinks !

Silver Taffy
19-02-11, 11:04 PM
They are called cattle grids in Qld too.

This has been going around for a long time now. Its veracity is suspect as far as I am concerned.

I agree with you Gail on the both points.

ally2
19-02-11, 11:40 PM
do we have an Oz version of Snopes?

mokey
19-02-11, 11:58 PM
http://www.hoax-slayer.com/about.html

Run by a guy in Queensland.

Alas, the original post is indeed a hoax (http://www.hoax-slayer.com/kevin-rudd-cattle-guard-hoax.shtml)originating in the US -

"However, while it may be entertaining, there is no truth to the story whatsoever. In fact, the story is just an Australian version of an old prank message that has been aimed at several American political figures over a number of years. A popular US version of the hoax targets President Obama and congresswoman Nancy Pelosi "

mindari
20-02-11, 12:20 AM
hey thanks
ill pass it onto my friend she will not be amused to discover shes been tricked.

lol

i did wonder about the grids too

Tb Lover
20-02-11, 12:36 AM
We called them Cattle Stops

We all had them - either you jump the gate or jump the stops - all good fun in those days (on a pony I am talking about);)

half_pass
20-02-11, 01:06 AM
Funny joke, emphasis being on joke!

GoneRama
20-02-11, 01:08 AM
Hmmm this has a 'cattle stop' in it TBL!

http://s1115.photobucket.com/albums/k546/JustPlainMad/Tales%20from%20The%20Top%20End/?action=view&current=HiLux.mp4
May need to make it full screen to view it better.

rmjens
20-02-11, 09:21 AM
Off topic but we had a cow who would often get her front legs stuck in the cattle grid and she's stand, bum in air, patiently chewing her cud, waiting to be rescued. Dopey thing. It would take at least two of us to lift her out and she wasn't light!

I think Dad finally strung an electric wire across the grid. We were worried she'd end up breaking a leg just to get that juicy bit of grass just out of her reach.

Tb Lover
20-02-11, 09:36 AM
Hmmm this has a 'cattle stop' in it TBL!

http://s1115.photobucket.com/albums/k546/JustPlainMad/?action=view&current=HiLux.mp4

May need to make it full screen to view it better.

Excellent - I had a great laugh - a great way to begin Sunday morning with a laugh! Thanks GR. :)

GoneRama
20-02-11, 11:33 AM
No worries TBL. When I read that you call them cattle stops well that video immediately came to mind :D

skymare
20-02-11, 11:36 AM
i'm sorry but this reads more like a joke. and the logic within the joke isn't very strong either. and i highly doubt that anyone who makes it to the top job is particularly stupid. that's just wishful thinking by some.

ally2
21-02-11, 01:43 PM
thanks for that site Mokey - often wondered whether we had a snopes clone - quite often need it too!