PDA

View Full Version : Lucinda Green Clinic

woodstar
19-02-11, 10:11 PM
A little late in posting as it was last weekend, but have been too busy!

Last Sunday and Monday i attended the Lucinda Green clinic at Camden. I had previously attended a clinic of hers 2yrs ago so knew what to expect and had a really educational and enjoyable time. A large part of her teaching is that we need to teach our horses to think. As such we were not allowed to look for strides and given lines without perfect distances. The lines are also built with things coming up very quickly to teach the horses to be clever with their feet.

A problem i have had for a long time in my riding is getting in front of the movement over fences (ive somehow perfected a leap and twist, god knows how i did that but its been a pain of a habit to break) Lucinda used to term 'sitting on the back of the see-saw' and is really into letting the horse jump first before you move with them.

The first day we did excersises over showjumps. the links below are to videos.

This first one shows the excersises with skinny fences coming up quickly. She also thought we should school our horses to jump narrow fences without wings from the beggining, just start small. instead of doing the whole add wings to the barrel then take them away.

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/becswinton/lucinda%20clinic%202011/?action=view&current=022.mp4

This is the same kinda thing but with me attempting to sit back!

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/becswinton/lucinda%20clinic%202011/?action=view&current=024.mp4

we also did some jumping barrels from the walk, this one shows cantering off to an angled rail keeping the reins long and steering with the wide low emergency contact you sometimes need after a drop fence. we also did this over a small course.

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/becswinton/lucinda%20clinic%202011/?action=view&current=029.mp4

This last video is of the jumping at speed excersise where she put up an oxer around 1.10 (usually she uses a triple bar but we were running late) and we go for a gallop and are not allowed to look for a distance, only to sit back through the shoulders and seat to balance and let the horse move forward to the fence.

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/becswinton/lucinda%20clinic%202011/?action=view&current=033.mp4

The group ranged from Pre- novice to 2* and even though the jumps were tiny everyone had their problems and im sure learnt a lot.

The xc day i dont have any video of as my video man (dad) was at work, We did do similar excersises through the water jump with barrels and skinny fences in the middle of it and Shane had gone and dug an open ditch that morning that the plastic liverpool was put in and then skinny lines added.

I had a great time and a renewed outlook to how i school jumping. Hope this isnt too long!

cbrown
19-02-11, 10:20 PM
Not too long at all. It's fascinating. I'm just buffering the videos now to watch. Thanks for taking the time to update us on your clinic. Lucinda Green is a goddess to me.

I'll comment in a minute after I've watched!!

OK cool. I've watched them! I certainly wouldn't say you are guilty of throwing yourself at a fence, from the first video. Perhaps it was a lesson for everyone in general rather that you specifically. Your upper body seems nice to me!

I'm a bit lost with the eventing stuff though. I watched the fifth video and it seemed to be all about speed through that line, lengthening and jumping off a long spot, maybe I got it wrong but in my SJ brain it's all about shortening and finding the extra stride. How many strides did she want you to take?

LindaH
19-02-11, 10:24 PM
Thanks for posting those. I've had a couple of XC lessons with Lucinda a long time ago, but none of the intensive exercises she set up for you. Very interesting to watch. Thanks.

woodstar
20-02-11, 02:07 PM
Not too long at all. It's fascinating. I'm just buffering the videos now to watch. Thanks for taking the time to update us on your clinic. Lucinda Green is a goddess to me.

I'll comment in a minute after I've watched!!

OK cool. I've watched them! I certainly wouldn't say you are guilty of throwing yourself at a fence, from the first video. Perhaps it was a lesson for everyone in general rather that you specifically. Your upper body seems nice to me!

I'm a bit lost with the eventing stuff though. I watched the fifth video and it seemed to be all about speed through that line, lengthening and jumping off a long spot, maybe I got it wrong but in my SJ brain it's all about shortening and finding the extra stride. How many strides did she want you to take?

She was pedantic about upper body with everyone but was very specific to me mostly but why not try to be perfect?

the last video was about teaching the horses to run and jump and work it out for themselves, she didnt want us to look for any strides between the two- just land after the first and leg on. She feels the jumping out of a gallop rhythm has been lost since steeple chase was dropped and that our horses arent learning to think for themselves as we train so technically. A lot of her theory is that if you train the horse to think, he can get out of an imperfect spot or save you when you stuff up.

Centaur
20-02-11, 02:40 PM
I can see what she means. Your upper body got much better as the videos went on. Lucinda's great isn't she?
My WP was at the same clinic and she loved it.
That's a very English theory, letting the horse find it's feet and learning to sort his own strides out. I love it!

kokage
20-02-11, 02:49 PM
I understand that people - AND horses - either love her or hate her. And she doesn't cope well with uncompliamt horses. Interesting which horse she reportedly ADORED!

Centaur
20-02-11, 02:57 PM
Which horse?

kokage
20-02-11, 03:00 PM
Very handsome black one...

Centaur
20-02-11, 03:20 PM
don't know it..but then I'm not au fait with the eventers these days. She did ride WP's horse though, which was very exciting for WP (but I think they said she got on him without a helmet, which I was rather disapointed about! :( )

LindaH
20-02-11, 03:26 PM
Ha! The clinic I went to she got on in shorts and a singlet top :eek:.

woodstar
20-02-11, 04:35 PM
Ballieu?? Hes goooorrrggeeoouuus especially when he pretends he is scared and arches his neck, flicks his mane and looks to see if everyone is watching.

She found nice things to say about every horse in my group, and there was at least one who has some serious issues.

I think in clinic situations if a horse in uncomplient to the point where they cant complete anything it isnt ever going to work for any coach. That is why since ive been to a clinic of hers before i made sure i worked my 6 yr old before my lesson, she isnt a coach to waste half a lesson on one person just because their horse is fresh and being silly. much more likely to send you off for a gallop and come back when the eyes arent rolling in the head.

ktgirl88
20-02-11, 05:06 PM
Bundy looks awesome!!!! Love that 'the list' has been added too as well :P

I think I know who in your group would be guilty of throwing their upper body... and no I'm not just saying that coz I'm not friends with her anymore :P

Those exercises look so complicated and its so great for his brain! He'll be ready for 1* this year (but wait till I go 2**, I don't want to compete against you!!!).

woodstar
20-02-11, 05:23 PM
Bundy looks awesome!!!! Love that 'the list' has been added too as well :P

I think I know who in your group would be guilty of throwing their upper body... and no I'm not just saying that coz I'm not friends with her anymore :P

Those exercises look so complicated and its so great for his brain! He'll be ready for 1* this year (but wait till I go 2**, I don't want to compete against you!!!).

Actually she wasn't one of the guilty ones!

ktgirl88
20-02-11, 05:28 PM
Haha really??? All the photos I have ever taken of her prove otherwise! Which one was she on in your group? The UK one? It's about time she stopped riding with force... no wonder so many of her horses have 'decided they just don't want to jump anymore' (her words exactly).

Centaur
20-02-11, 09:31 PM
Stop bitching children, it doesn't become you! :p

midnightly
20-02-11, 10:43 PM
Oh precisely Centaur ... how boring are they!!

kokage
21-02-11, 11:01 AM
Centaur - I believe it was one in Woodstar's group - the biggest one.

As for wasting time on "fresh" horses - sometimes this isn't the case with this instructor. Sometimes certain methods can "cook" a horse and it is the instructor's responsibility to help restore sanity.