PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Equissage or Niagra Massage Machines

thesaddleclub101
21-02-11, 04:03 PM
Does anyone own one? What are the benefits? Do you find them effective?
How often do you use it?
Honest reviews please :)

ktgirl88
21-02-11, 04:10 PM
I have one. A new Gen 2. Looooove it. Loosens up back muscles before work, great for cooling down their backs after cross country and good to use before trotting up at vet inspections at 3DEs.
I find it also chills my boy out when he's at a comp. He can get stressed and this just takes the edge off him a little.
I use it at least 3 days a week.

thesaddleclub101
21-02-11, 04:14 PM
Ooo it sounds great Kt! Can you also give me some ideas of prices? Both secondhand and new approximates if at all possible?
:)

lalique
21-02-11, 04:16 PM
Equissage:
Yes I have one- the original model and I have had it for five years. The whoel kit: back pad, 4 batteries, 2 chargers, hand unit and leg boot

I use it weekely as maintainence and as a pre comp or strenuous work out warm up and cool down.

I rate it very highly and would never be without one- worth every penny in my opinion.
You can defintely see the results- the horses are more elastic and supple, and their stride is definitely increased with Equissage and correct work. They rarely have back or muscle issues and basically purr when you put the back pad on- they love it

The most interesting thing its that the only people who dont like Equissage are the ones who dont own one- they have a stack of reasons why they dont work- but have never owned one and/or used it regularly. Anyone who owns one seems to be as enthusiastic as I am. They rarely come up for sale second hand and if they do it is usually as the owner has upgraded to the newer model

I have also had a lot of success with it on hoof abcesses, stone bruises and leg swelling.

The downfall is that unless you have several horses and are going to use it constantly it is rather expensive - around the $6500 mark now I believe.

Charlypops
21-02-11, 04:20 PM
Your looking at about $7000 new, and anywhere down form that second hand depending on age and condition.

ktgirl88
21-02-11, 04:20 PM
I think they're about $6k. I have mine on a payment plan. $50 a week, for 2 years. No interest, no fees. If you want, I can PM you Kylie's details. Shes the agent that sold me mine. Shes great, will come and do a demo on your horse, show you how to use it. etc etc.

thesaddleclub101
21-02-11, 04:31 PM
Kt that would be fantastic! I'm just considering it at the moment. I'd also be open to someone local who owned a machine coming down regularly and giving Gracie treatments - but I think it would be more practical for me to buy my own.

Lalique, you've confirmed what I thought about the machines. I have heard a great many good reviews.

If anyone is selling a second hand one feel free to PM me :)

Charlypops
21-02-11, 04:31 PM
I think they're about $6k. I have mine on a payment plan. $50 a week, for 2 years. No interest, no fees. If you want, I can PM you Kylie's details. Shes the agent that sold me mine. Shes great, will come and do a demo on your horse, show you how to use it. etc etc.

That adds up to $5200 :). Which is even moreof a bargain. Looks like they have come down a bit since I looked.

Muzziet
21-02-11, 04:35 PM
I'm sure someone had one on one of the buy & sell threads a while back, maybe Jackeroo ???

Can you use them on yourself? :D

thesaddleclub101
21-02-11, 06:11 PM
Can you use them on yourself?

I was wondering that! Although I'd probably be inclined to buy something more like a massage chair for myself.

I guess you could always charge people to use the machine too so you'd end up re-cooping some of the costs.

KLB4
21-02-11, 06:15 PM
I use mine on the horses a few times a week. I have also used it on myself when needed, my hand unit has just been given back to the horses after Mum has used it for her neck.

There is now an alternative to the Equissage if you look in Horse Deals. It is worth a look for its features and price.

Harriette
21-02-11, 06:18 PM
Equissage are made by Niagara, who have made cyclonic massagers for 30+ years.
I have one, and it is lovely, I loaned it to my brother for a few months who felt it really helped keep his stuffed back looser,

I did end up missing it so badly that after 4-5 months I asked for it back,
it is bliss to lay down and have a read, moving the massager every 5-10 minutes to a new tight/stiff bit of me, I feel a bit sorry for it after an hour or so, as it warms up a tad (even nicer in the winter)

Harry loves it! but then she thinks I am her personal masseuse anyway *shrugs*

the 'human' version is much cheaper than the equine version!

TSC, if you got a back unit, you could do Equissage massages for $ as a little job on the side. A friend of mine does, and used to charge about $50 an hour, she got a fair bit of work too.

lalique
21-02-11, 06:26 PM
The cheaper version is not the same as the Equissage- it is very much a cheap rip off without the same action. The Equisage demonstration will put wheat in a container and pop the hand unit in= it sends the wheat (or what ever grain it is) into a total swirl to the outer edges of the container (cyclonic movement) it does not just vibrate them.

You need to be careful if you want to charge money for using the machine as there are legal ramifications about qualifications and misleading people- I cant remember the whole story but it was something along the lines of advertising a service that you are unqualified in. I believe you can however advertise to rent the machine at $X per hour

Harriette
21-02-11, 06:35 PM
there is a weekend/day course in the use of the unit run by the manufacturing company

teetee
21-02-11, 06:36 PM
I have an older style niagara chair it's really nice for me, I have the back pad floating around somewhere. Is there much difference between the human equipment and the horse equipment because I remember thinking they looked really similar just different pouches/holders etc which would be handy if you could adapt a human one for a horse because the human ones are heaps cheaper and easier to find secondhand.

thesaddleclub101
21-02-11, 06:37 PM
Thank you very much Lalique, I will definitely have to look into the legal side of things in regards to that. I'm not entirely sure about how comfortable I would be with lending it out anyway.

I just had a chat with Equissage Australia, who were very helpful and lovely, and are getting my local consultant to contact me to organise a time for her to come out and give a demonstration. Apparently they have lots of plans to suit different needs - so it looks like I will be getting a new unit :)

half_pass
21-02-11, 07:47 PM
I have one, used to use it all the time - really helped out as a warm up/coool down massage.

I am thinking about selling it, it is almost 4 years old. Will have to ask the person I lent it to first, but let me know if you were interested in buying one for no where near the retail price!

KLB4
21-02-11, 07:52 PM
Lalique both manufacturers use the same cycloidal vibration. The bird seed and 100's and 1000's works the same on both units. The basic therapy is the same. There are a few differences in the features available on the equipment between the 2 manufacturers.

The new one available is manufactured by a South Australian company who broke away from Niagra quite a few years ago.

I do not work for either company but I have been a user of the Equissage equipment for quite a few years now. The alternate equiment is just that - another option for people to look at, and in my opinion it is an improvement on the Equissage. If I could afford to update my equipment I would be looking at buying the alternative product. My Equissage is currently still in almost daily use.

thesaddleclub101
21-02-11, 07:56 PM
I am thinking about selling it, it is almost 4 years old. Will have to ask the person I lent it to first, but let me know if you were interested in buying one for no where near the retail price!

Yes please HP! Please let me know price, etc.

kokage
21-02-11, 07:57 PM
I love them, but find the cost quite excessive. And the batteries don't seem to last well, which is somewhat of an issue, on several levels, including environmental and economic.

lalique
21-02-11, 07:57 PM
Maybe it is a different unit- the one I was referring to is called Equilibrium? It is not the same

lalique
21-02-11, 08:01 PM
You can buyer cheaper replacement batteries which last longer than the genuine ones from any battery supplier. I get mine from the car battery bloke- Super Charge I think they are called

KLB4
21-02-11, 08:06 PM
Not the same lalique - I am talking about EquiVibe. Incidently battery life is one of the differences - the EquiVibe will actually run all day if required - they did so at Equitana were the product was launched.

thesaddleclub101
21-02-11, 08:06 PM
In regards to the cost of the unit, yes they are very expensive, but for someone who owns a horse like Gracie with lots of HQ issues it actually becomes cost effective because I would be able to give her regular massages at a time that suits me, in her paddock!

Remembering that the average bodyworker will charge around $70-$100 and to rent the machine for an hour costs around the same in my local area, it really works out better for me to own a unit.

cobie
21-02-11, 08:15 PM
I use an Equissage unit daily on a number of horses at work for treating a variety of issues, as well as general muscle therapy on the horses in work. There's a couple of them who have violently objected to it, but most of them just chill out and really enjoy it.

I haven't got around to taking it home to use on Freddy yet, but will be interested to see what effect it has on him.

One thing I always notice when using the Equissage and wonder if anyone else has.. do your horses go and have a pee almost immediately after? :o

dburns74@bigpond.com
21-02-11, 08:27 PM
I had been looking at the price of secondhand ones on Ebay as they sound good but are are a bit expensive.

What is the difference between the older model and the Generation 2 that ktgirl88 mentioned? is there much difference in the performance or is it more in the controlls or timer?
cherrywb74

thesaddleclub101
22-02-11, 07:28 PM
Just letting everyone know that I have a demonstration on Friday at 10:30 :)
I will want to see how she responds to the treatment over the weekend so won't make a decision until Monday.

I also discussed offering Equissage treatments to those in my local area and the rep I spoke to is going to provide me with information regarding this :)

jackeroo
22-02-11, 07:44 PM
donot get caught likei did with the plan, woman faithfully vowed and declared everything will be fine, all you need to do is give me the $250 deposit she will do the rest, and lo and behold 3 months later when i thought payments were coming outof my account, get an email and was told i want $2200 now, they declined your application, nothing like dscrimination against people who are on a disability pension

jackeroo
22-02-11, 07:49 PM
I'm sure someone had one on one of the buy & sell threads a while back, maybe Jackeroo ???

Can you use them on yourself? :D

sold it, needed the money, i had bought a hand held later on and got caught so be careful

Cannondale
22-02-11, 10:05 PM
Wonderful pieces of equipment. They are magic for use on yourself as well. Nothing shifts that deep muscles soreness in your quads after a hard session in the gym or on the bike like the Equissage.

Comment on the "plans". When we were buying one I asked for the T&C's for the plan. They were very reluctant to give them to me but instead gave me lots of assurances that "it would all be OK". I insisted and eventually was given a copy.

The T&C's are uglier than those the big furniture chain stores use. You would be Commercially Retarded if you signed up to those terms. Don't do it!

The individuals who sell the units are genuine and lovely individuals. Mostly though they do not have sufficient training to discuss commercial arrangements. You must do your homework yourself and make your own decisions on value for money and TCO.

OakyPoke
23-02-11, 12:53 PM
All I can tell you about Equissage is that I was at the Dressage at SIEC years ago when they first came out. I had a massive headache but wanted to stay for the Freestyle. I popped about 3 or 4 Ibuprofen which dulled the pain a bit.
Walking round the stalls outside, the Equissage lady offered me a go of the unit. In about 15 minutes my headache was completely gone.
Forget the horses. I want one for myself!

teetee
23-02-11, 01:31 PM
All I can tell you about Equissage is that I was at the Dressage at SIEC years ago when they first came out. I had a massive headache but wanted to stay for the Freestyle. I popped about 3 or 4 Ibuprofen which dulled the pain a bit.
Walking round the stalls outside, the Equissage lady offered me a go of the unit. In about 15 minutes my headache was completely gone.
Forget the horses. I want one for myself!

Keep an eye out on eBay and your local secondhand stores oakeypoke like I said the human ones are usually heaps cheaper and easier to find secondhand, my mum got me a secondhand back massage pad for $120 and she got herself the actual niagara massage chair that usually costs around $5-6k for $600 from the tender centre (auction house for secondhand stuff). She got a queen size niagara adjustable bed in excellent nick from eBay for $1000 (new they are about $7k) has massage as well as you can electrically elevate feet or head ends.

cbrown
11-03-11, 02:39 PM
Hey TSC I just came across a FB friend selling a second hand equisage if you are interested.

thesaddleclub101
11-03-11, 02:44 PM
Thanks for thinking of me Cbrown but I actually just bought one (from a wonderful CH'er who gave me a fantastic deal). I think it will help Gracie so, so much with her muscle soreness through the back and generally just help in warming her up before work. She'll be getting it once or twice a day every day I'm there :)

SOOOO excited to use it!

We're just going to be working on getting her more relaxed and supple through the back, shoulder and neck and then hopefully she'll build up a tad more muscle before I send her off to my instructor's in early April for a week or two of ridden work (given the bolting incident, better safe than sorry).