PDA

View Full Version : Paspaylum allergy?

horsey mum
25-02-11, 08:48 PM
Went to put the boy (TB) to bed tonight and discovered swollen lips, (angelina joli) face, eyes, ears and a huge case of what looks like hives all over his body. Paspaylum is present, what other possibilities could there be.

Hosed the poor boy off for about 15 minutes and this seemed help, he was happy for his dinner and was tucking in nicely.

Of course he will not go back into that paddock and property owner has already organised for paddocks to be slashed

cyrus
25-02-11, 08:52 PM
Stings to the nose can produce awful swellings.

horsey mum
26-02-11, 07:04 AM
bumping bumping

Charlypops
26-02-11, 07:11 AM
I personally don't thing paspalum would have caused this type of reaction. Much more likely to be a sting/bite of some type. Also slashing will just thicken it up. It will most likely be back in full seed head within the week.

WBIT1973
26-02-11, 07:25 AM
My mare is covered in lumps too and if I look closely it is tiny tiny ticks, you can barely see them! Do you have tea trees on your property? I think this is where they are coming from. The lumps are horrible and I washed her down with some anti itch wash, but I don't know what else I can do?

Paspaylum (sp?) will leave sticky scabs and she has them too on her legs from a ride through a whole paddock of it other day...she is a mess.:(

Little Filly
26-02-11, 10:52 AM
My horse had the exact same symptons a week or so ago!!

The swollen lips and hives all over him. They came up within 15 mins of catching him... I still don't know what it was. I don't think it was paspalum has he's been on a paddock with that for a while.

We have a bunch of unknown (to me) weeds near the damn and I think it was something in there.

I got the vet out straight away for a cortisone injection and it was all but gone in 24 hours.

horsey mum
26-02-11, 11:14 AM
thankyou folks
The swelling has gone down this morning and no hive lumps on his body and on closer inspection there seemed to be puncture marks in the crease of his mouth, so thinking bee stings.

k8
26-02-11, 11:31 AM
Ant nests in the paddock?
I have one horse who presented like this one day and I'm sure it was those nasty little fire ants that are all through the paddocks.... a bit of sniffing around for food and voila.... about 30 little buggers up the nose!... nasty.

Autumn
26-02-11, 05:31 PM
My boy blows up like the elephant man sometimes (he looks REALLY bad) and I think its either a bee or wasp sting allergy. The time before last it was REALLY bad (1st time he was 4yrs - was grazing near fallen pears being eaten by wasps!, 2nd time he was 8yrs, 3rd time he was 10yrs). I gave him powdered vit c on apple slices and it stated going down in 15 minutes.

If its a bite allergy not sure what else you can do.

Harriette
26-02-11, 07:17 PM
I have had a few horses over time who have severe allergic reactions,
I always have antihistamines on hand, 20 minutes before they get relief, but it may stop an anaphalactic escalation,