PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else struggle with grocery shopping?

half_pass
04-03-11, 05:47 AM
I seem to only be going to the supermarket these days when I have eaten anything that resembles food in my kitchen - including scraping the last of the jam out of the jar to put on the toasted crusts of the bread.

It puts me in a bad mood, and despite all my best intentions of writing a shopping list, I rarely ever come home with what I need.

For example, last time I went shopping I came home with only chocolate, ice cream and a 25 jewellery box (completely unnecessary).

I just went shopping again because I honestly had nothing except lemons and a rather sprouted onion to eat - this time I arrived home with 24 croissants, a 1kg tub of strawberry yoghurt (which I can't eat because I am lactose intolerant) and a 40 jar of anti-ageing night cream.

Am I the only one who seems to be completely incapable of grocery shopping?

Caille
04-03-11, 06:27 AM
I am loathe to spend more than 5 minutes in the grocery store lately. I've completely stopped cooking, too. Been living on vegemite and cheese toast and miso soup packets.

half_pass
04-03-11, 06:37 AM
Clearly I will be living on croissants for the next month...

Cooking for one is not so fun.

gimetime
04-03-11, 06:48 AM
1. You get your trolley and walk into the shop.
2. You start selecting all your groceries and put them into the trolley.
3. Go to the checkout and take all the groceries out of the trolley.
4. At the other end of the checkout put all the groceries back into trolley.
5. Go to car and take all groceries out of trolley and put into boot of car.
6. Once home, take all groceries out of car.
7. Take all groceries into house.
8. Take groceries out of bags.
9. Put all groceries into cupboards and fridge.

Look forward to the same riveting chore next week :rolleyes:.

Charlypops
04-03-11, 06:49 AM
Hate it, hate it, hate it, always have hated it. Now That I have 2 children under 5 that I have to take with me I loath it.

Caille
04-03-11, 06:51 AM
Did you want me to send you a big jar of Vegemite? Then at least you can add cheese and maybe sliced tomato?

Djangoandjacana
04-03-11, 06:59 AM
I so wish I could do my grocery shopping via one of those on line options (like I do so much else!)but they don't deliver out here. I detest grocery shopping. I'm not that keen on shopping per se and seem to always not get everything I need no matter what I am shopping for as I have to cease and desist when my tolerance level is reached.

tickle2
04-03-11, 07:25 AM
G'day

Believe me you are not alone.... When we lived out west we only went to town (4.5hrs away) to do any sort of shopping every 2-3 months (depending on what was going on at the property and what the weather was like - dirt roads + rain = no travel)

Anyway we shopped in bulk and all I had to do was fax my shopping list into the supermarket and at the end of our town visit pick up and pay for my "station order". It was all nicely packed into styrofoam boxes and wrapped in newspaper for the fragile stuff. It was bliss! of course I had to unpack it all when we got home, but I had a coolroom so that made things easier, how I miss "station orders" and coolrooms!

These days its a mad dash into the local supermarket, I usually forget my list and forget half of the stuff I really need and by stuff I don't really need! (ooh that looks interesting I might try that..... stupid).

I figure it is a modern curse and one my DH seems to conveinently sidestep most of the time!!

Cheers
tickle

berty
04-03-11, 07:35 AM
Mmmm yogurt..... germany has the best yogurt......... I'm very lucky my O/H loves gorcery shoping and will spend time looking for new foods and products, Then he comes home and cooks for me :D:D The only down side is he dose have to use every pot and frying pan we own and its my job to wash up, Plus I've gained Sooooo much weight since we've been together 10kg:(

clipclop
04-03-11, 08:04 AM
Hate shopping too!

Something that's helpful for me is www.cookdinner.com

It has a heap of recipes to choose from,you select how many people you're cooking for (whether it be 1 or 4 people) and it adjusts the ingredients qty to suit. You pick a weeks worth of meals and then it works out your shopping list for you. You just print it out and add any extras, then head to the shops. It means you only need to go to the shops once a week, otherwise I find I'm going to the shops almost everyday for little bits and pieces and end up spending more money in the long run!
It is good knowing you've got the weeks meals planned ahead, you can just head home at the end of the day knowing every things in the fridge/cupboard and not stress about dinner!

Renvers
04-03-11, 08:11 AM
I don't mind doing the shopping. OH and I do it together and I grab whatever other bits we need during the week when I'm out.
We have a notepad on the fridge and write things on it as they run out. Then we buy whatever looks good/is in season/fairly cheap/what we feel like cooking. You can do a supermarket shop fairly quickly - all the real food is around the perimeter and you only need to do a dash down the pasta/rice aisle, and grab whatever chocolate/toiletries you need, without having to go up and down every single aisle.
I ordered the groceries online for a bit once, when I was on crutches, but I couldn't cope without seeing what I was getting first.

StElmosFire
04-03-11, 08:31 AM
I don't mind grocery shopping at all. It's the paying for it at the checkout that I hate so much. Not that I buy expensive stuff.

Half_Pass, you have to sit down quietly for 5 minutes or so and make a LIST. Go through your cupboards and fridge and see what's not there, and write it on the list. Keep a pad and pencil handy and when you run out of something, PUT IT ON THE LIST.

If you can't think of what you need, make some headings: like Vegetables, Fruit, Meat, Bread/pasta, tea/coffee, dairy (or the equivilent for lactose intolerant people), frozen food, oils/butter, condiments (mayo, sauces, jams, etc), cleaning products, toiletries, treats.

Till you get into the swing of it, walk up and down each aisle in the supermarket, glancing at both sides as you go..... concentrate, and ask yourself: "Do I need some of those items?" Check your list, and see if things re written on it; if not, ask yourself do you need them.

I wouldn't like to do online grocery shopping, because I want to see and touch what I'm buying. No rock-hard, never-to-ripen fruit for me; no exxy products when something right beside them is on a good special; I want to choose things myself.

I never pay full RRP for coffee. OH likes Nescafe Espresso instant, and I keep a watch on it in Coles, because at regular intervals, it comes on special. The big jars will be something like $10, or a little under, when they're usually over $15. So when they're on special, I swoop, even if there's still plenty left at home. I never pay full price for it. (I can't drink the stuff - I drink black tea)

rmjens
04-03-11, 08:42 AM
I don't know how I got so lucky but my OH does it!

It started when the children were little and I flatly refused to take them grocery shopping. Supermarkets and small children DO NOT MIX. I gave my OH the option of doing the shopping or staying at home and looking after the littlies (three under five). Smart man opted for the shopping trip.

I'm sure he also knows that if he doesn't buy all that meat and three veg stuff, he'd get a cheese sandwich for dinner.

cbz
04-03-11, 09:29 AM
Hate grocery shopping.
Hate cooking.
Hate trying to think of things for dinner.

Solution: Wrote everything I can easily cook onto paddlepop sticks and put them in a cookie jar. Get family members to draw out of jar and that's what we're eating this week (so now I know what I need to buy).

Do Coles online order. Leave order open on computer in kitchen (same one I'm typing on right now when I should be making school lunches). If anyone in family wants something from shop (deoderant etc), I just point silently at computer and they can put it on the order themselves.

Order costs between $5 and $10 for delivery (depending how early you get your order in) and gets delivered right to your kitchen.

Voila! No more grocery shopping.

But if I were single, like you, Half_Pass I would be going the home delivered meals that you keep in your freezer. Do they even do that in Germany?

Caille
04-03-11, 09:30 AM
I don't know how I got so lucky but my OH does it!

It started when the children were little and I flatly refused to take them grocery shopping. Supermarkets and small children DO NOT MIX. I gave my OH the option of doing the shopping or staying at home and looking after the littlies (three under five). Smart man opted for the shopping trip.

I'm sure he also knows that if he doesn't buy all that meat and three veg stuff, he'd get a cheese sandwich for dinner.

Woooooow.... so jealous! Married to a fabulous man who takes care of you AND your horses AND does the grocery shopping after working hard all week!

Mine thinks because he manages to do 20 hours of work a week doing the most stressful job in the Universe (nightfill at Big W) that he's to do nothing but sit at home and play video games or sleep. (Despite the fact I work more hours than him and make 10x (on a bad week) more than him! :p )

Think1st
04-03-11, 09:33 AM
Agree with the list idea, best way to get in and out quickly with the stuff you want and without all the impulse buys.

My Mum actually got a list form years ago from her supermarket where the list items were in headings in the same order as they appeared on the shelves. So as she walked down the aisles she could collect and tick things off her list from top to bottom. That was a supermarket in Sydney (I think it was a store opening promotional thing and she kept a bundle of them), have not seen it anywhere I shop but perhaps in Germany?

Another idea is to pick up a few frozen prepared meals and keep them in your freezer as a back-up for when you are just too tired to cook, gotta be more nourishing than the jam jar scrapings. :)

treacle
04-03-11, 09:45 AM
24 croissants ?! that's the way hp, 4 packs of croissants are for amateurs ... ; )

i love to shop for food.. within a budget... tis a challenge.... "can i eat well for a week on 100 bucks" sort of thing....

we have two of these here on the coast... i love it..

http://www.vplussupermarket.com/index.php/home/view_page/1

Renvers
04-03-11, 10:17 AM
I do that too, treacle - but with different ingredients, like 'how many meals can I make from this lovely free range chook?" = a lot. Bought an amazing piece of rump the other day - it was over $20 - but I managed one meal for three, and three more meals for two from it. We don't eat meat every day, or in large amounts, so a good quality piece goes a looong way. I really enjoy cooking and I work from home so I have no excuse not to eat well.

k8
04-03-11, 10:58 AM
I would rather dive headfirst into my own vomit than go grocery shopping, consequently I rush into the supermarket, dash for the required items, drag them to a checkout, stand tapping my foot and glaring at the long line of others waiting for service, get to the checkout... endure the ' How are you today? Got any plans for the rest of the day?" questions, try to smile and then make a run for the car.... I HATE IT!
Get home and realise I bought nothing I need and have to head back the next day....
Yuck..

Garryngirl
04-03-11, 11:11 AM
I am with Renvers re the online shopping, tried it, hated it. Hate grocery shopping as well (just no pleasing some people is there *pokes Garryngirl*). While online shopping sounds bliss it was actually more frustrating than a supermarket checkout queue....computer wouldn't load, took forever to process, think about it etc etc, hated not being able to 'scratch and sniff' products. Bought fruit and veg - NEVER again - was half rotten and bruised.

Then you have to hang around in a 4hour window waiting for the delivery. That is ok if you don't work fulltime but my weekends are precious so lemme see....1 hour shopping (if that) or waiting around for 4 hours for delivery.

So Half_Pass....focus when shopping, you can't eat anti-aging cream, you are NOT of an age where you need it so FOCUS next time though the croissants are an excellent buy :-), you nearly made it healthy with the yoghurt, just get the lactose free one if they have it there (Vaalia now have a really nice lactose free yoghurt).

Muzziet
04-03-11, 11:11 AM
1. You get your trolley and walk into the shop.
2. You start selecting all your groceries and put them into the trolley.
3. Go to the checkout and take all the groceries out of the trolley.
4. At the other end of the checkout put all the groceries back into trolley.
5. Go to car and take all groceries out of trolley and put into boot of car.
6. Once home, take all groceries out of car.
7. Take all groceries into house.
8. Take groceries out of bags.
9. Put all groceries into cupboards and fridge.

Look forward to the same riveting chore next week :rolleyes:.

and there is still nothing to eat :p

I make a list, shop once a fortnight or so as it's 50km to town and only buy coffee and soap on special. So I'm clean and buzzing :D

In poorer times I would stalk the aisles with the calculator, adding as I went. When the dollars ran out I went to the checkout. :(

Wish I could shop sans Master 4 !!!!

skymare
04-03-11, 11:19 AM
i don't mind shopping grocery or otherwise. i'll have a think about some things i might want and make a list. i keep topped up with certain things that i don't use every week but always come in handy like flours, eggs, pasta sauces, potatoes, carrots, frozen peas etc. we put a variety of meats in the freezer and do some of the fresh veg and fruit grocery shopping at the time and then do fresh veg shopping when we need it for the rest of the fortnight. like if i'm not going to have a meal that required basil for another four days then i'll leave it till then. we're lucky we can do that. we live 5 (if that) minutes drive from the shops. or a 20 minute walk. i think some people get themselves too stressed about things and honestly learning to organize yourselves makes it all so much easier.

Djangoandjacana
04-03-11, 11:42 AM
I make a list! it usually says Milk (I know that means soy), Bread, Coffee, Cereal, Vegemite, meat, vegetables, other stuff, cleaning stuff. The short list leaves off the cleaning stuff.

I have had the same shopping list for 30 odd years :) Sometimes we end up with lots of Vegemite :eek: when I forget it isn't actually needed and is just on the list as it is an essential food group meant to prompt me to look for new and interesting things in the vegemite aisle.

I find it frustrating when I decide to cook from a recipe as that means I have to look for ingredients as opposed to just grabbing what ever takes my fancy and looks new and interesting.

Also don't buy by coffee form the local supermarket anymore as they only carry small bags and we go through so much of it, so at the moment I am buying it from the coffee shop.

Mind you I had great fun in the Netherlands and Norway going into the local supermarkets and looking at what they had on the shelves, what was different, what was the same just in a foreign language. I loved the deli section in the Dutch supermarket we went to and a lot of it seemed to be in single persons portions. Or at least small two people portions.

There is a business in Newcastle that does delivery straight from the F&V markets to your door I'd use in a flash except they don't delver up here and they might not give me enough grapes:)

We have a visitor coming to stay for a few nights form Sunday so I am going to have to go shopping ..............

rmjens
04-03-11, 12:27 PM
Forgot about o/s supermarket shopping. Now, that I enjoy.

Usually.....

It was priceless seeing the look on my daughter's face when her father showed her 'carpaccio di equine' in the meat section in Rome.

We didn't buy it.