PDA

View Full Version : Update on The Tailless One.

cbz
14-03-11, 09:15 AM
Billy came home Friday afternoon. We were all a bit stressed about him because at the vet hospital, he was not really eating or drinking enough and his manuring looked "iffy" (as in, is he doing enough). I brought him home with IV and IM antibiotics, bute and instructions to change his tail bandage in a couple of days (that would be today's job!!).

I decided to stable him so I could monitor his input and output, as it were. But both were vastly reduced from normal. He was just depressed, eating and drinking the bare minimum and, if I put bute in his feed he simply would not touch it. After 24 hours he was a very sorry looking creature and I was wondering if he would make it after all.

Decided yesterday to put him back in the paddock with his pony mate (he has never been a stable horse and doesn't like it at all, just goes round and round and round). The two were calling and calling to each other. INSTANT improvement. Trotted up to join his mate, head down grazing (fresh green grass is better for bowel movements than hay) and by evening was at the gate waiting for dinner. He polished his half-size feed right up so tried him with a full-size feed this morning and will see how he went with that. Oh, and this morning I saw a poo that looked normal in size and texture (i.e. moist enough) - YAY!!

I have also devised a way of getting bute powder into him. I put it into a syringe, add a bit of molasses water, shake it up and then drench him with it so he will be more comfortable as well. It's funny, he's fine for the IV injection, and fine for the IM injection but he HATES having a syringe-full (without the needle, obviously) of molasses water and bute squirted into his mouth. Funny beastie.

Anyway, I am starting to think he will be fine, just without a tail. I have ordered a couple of flag rugs for him and I will use Brute on his legs (but his tail never reached his legs anyway).

Today I will change the bandage and see how it looks. I will probably put photos on this thread so stand by!!!!

StElmosFire
14-03-11, 09:24 AM
I'm glad you posted on poor Billy. I was telling my OH about him yesterday, and he was fairly horrified. So I was planning on PM-ing you to see how the poor boy was getting on.

Isn't it funny - you want to keep them stabled, "in the ICU", so to speak, but they fret.... put them out in the paddock with their friends, and they're a different horse!

All the best for a good recovery. Poor dear boy. Elmo (who has a lovely tail) sends his sympathy, and a big bunch of cyber-carrots.

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss67/StElmosFire_bucket/P1010514.jpg

Shoes
14-03-11, 09:39 AM
cbz, there is a paste form of bute out, I give it like you would when you worm, it it thick enough that it doesn't dribble out and it sticks to their tongue, teeth etc that they can't spit it out, glad to hear he has picked up nothing beats being at home

Muzziet
14-03-11, 09:39 AM
Good new cbz, fingers crossed the worst has passed and it will be onwards and upwards form here. Go Billy :)

skymare
14-03-11, 09:52 AM
nice to read that he's doing so well. :)

Anubis
14-03-11, 10:10 AM
Glad he is doing ok.
He has had a major insult to his body.

MMC
14-03-11, 10:26 AM
Great news. Hooray for Billy. :)

I can't wait for photos.

gdh
14-03-11, 11:22 AM
It's funny, he's fine for the IV injection, and fine for the IM injection but he HATES having a syringe-full (without the needle, obviously) of molasses water and bute squirted into his mouth. Funny beastie.

Try tasting it yourself sometime, you might revise your opinion of the 'funny beastie' :D. Great to read he's coming good tho'!

Garryngirl
14-03-11, 11:32 AM
Glad to read he is doing just fine. :D:D:D:D x 1000.

Harriette
14-03-11, 11:34 AM
can you put the bute in something thick?? like commercial yoghurt??
it really does taste nasty, even just a little smear on your finger is enough to pull a face at...very ICK

StElmosFire
14-03-11, 12:01 PM
The green bute paste in the syringe isn't too bad to get down their throats. There's a definite knack in getting reluctant horses to take paste medication too. Slightly different methods work for different horses. You just have to figure out the method that's easiest for you and wastes the least paste! Even working on the other side of the mouth can make a difference.

Ambridge
14-03-11, 12:04 PM
Thank goodness he is coming along.
The other day Time was flicking her tail at a fly and l instantly thought of your horse, then quickly glanced around to make sure Time wasn't flicking that thing near any trees!
Interested to see a photo (may pass out but still interested).

Will the remaining bits just form scar tissue and be hairless?

cbz
14-03-11, 12:06 PM
I know about the green bute paste but I have an issue with it in that if it's not used it for a long time it "separates" into a solid and a watery liquid. I use bute very rarely so the powder lasts well for me.

I am about to try a molasses sandwich as a way to get it into him and the yoghurt is on my list as well. But the molasses syringe will be the backup because so far, its working.

Silver Taffy
14-03-11, 12:22 PM
I usely give bute/honey sangas and they go down a treat :) I'm glad to read Billy is doing okay.

Caille
14-03-11, 01:12 PM
So glad Billy's doing better!! The only way Gypsy will take bute is in sandwich form... bread, molasses, and bute, folded up and popped down the ol' hatch!

NikJ
14-03-11, 08:24 PM
Glad to hear he is home and happy.

My oldie would not have a bar of the honey sanga. But this is the same horse that wont eat an apple unless it is cut.

BUT I had success with the TMS powder and powder bute in his feed if I added LOTS of mollasses. So we did that. I am now using the green stuff as I bought it whilst panicing about him refusing feed/drugs (cellutitis). So having spent $100 I am going to use it!

cbz
14-03-11, 08:29 PM
Billy turned up his nose at the molasses sanger, too so I am persisting with the syringe. I'm not too concerned about him not getting all of it since the painkiller action is not needed (he has no feeling in the wound area) so he won't feel any pain anyway.

GoneRama
14-03-11, 09:01 PM
It's funny how horses don't like bute yet love milk thistles like kids love lollies. I'll admit i have tasted milk thistles and honestly cannot fathom why horses love them.

Interesting injury but good to hear your horse is doing well.

reveleus
15-03-11, 07:41 AM
I've missed the original post. What has happened to your poor boy?

cbz
15-03-11, 07:56 AM
He snapped his tail off, bone and all, at the dock somehow, by tangling the tail hair on a low tree knob (probably scratching his bum). What happened after that is anybody's guess but he came for breakfast with a bloody stump and his tail was hanging from a tree. I have posted pics of the tail after I retrieved it and the full story is on another thread.

That was six days ago and so far, I am stoked with his recovery.

When he is fully recovered, I will take him to a chiro because his whole system must have received a massive shock. I can't see him ever being ridden again. Tails affect horses' balance, don't they?

wtk
15-03-11, 08:04 AM
If you do need to keep giving him bute, mix it with apple sauce but just give him syringed apple sauce a couple of times to build up his confidence and then mix in the bute granuals.

but as you said no feeling no pain so why bute?

Still can't get over the tail pics, eewww, not much has ever grossed me out with horses but that has come into the top 5 pics of all time!!!

berty
15-03-11, 08:05 AM
So glade to hear your boy is on the mend, Try pulping up some apples and mixing the bute power in it works a treat with my old reble it the only way dad can give him any medication best of luck

horsesRgr8
15-03-11, 12:26 PM
but as you said no feeling no pain so why bute?

Bute is a non steroidal anti inflammatory drug that also has analgesic uses.

mindari
15-03-11, 12:32 PM
He snapped his tail off, bone and all, at the dock somehow, by tangling the tail hair on a low tree knob (probably scratching his bum). What happened after that is anybody's guess but he came for breakfast with a bloody stump and his tail was hanging from a tree. I have posted pics of the tail after I retrieved it and the full story is on another thread.

That was six days ago and so far, I am stoked with his recovery.

When he is fully recovered, I will take him to a chiro because his whole system must have received a massive shock. I can't see him ever being ridden again. Tails affect horses' balance, don't they?

I know a pony mare her's is gone at the same place, she is fine under saddle so dont dispair in that regard

reveleus
15-03-11, 01:15 PM
Oh my God. What a freak accident. I went and looked at your pics, I can't imagine how you felt to find the tail just hanging there. I can't find the original thread. I've never even heard of such a thing happening.

He looks like a sexy sleek polo pony. Poor little guy. I agree with the chiro coming to see him. He'll be sore for a while. :(