PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to a PC Combined Training comp!

njuro
24-03-11, 10:18 AM
I'm quite excited! Tomorrow morning I'm off to Charters Towers (flying into Townsville) to help out at the Charters Towers Pony Club Combined Training weekend!!

In January this year my sister and her daughter (Meg - 9 yrs) were visiting me, and my neice fell in love with one of my mares here, and ended up doing really well on her. They were stuck here during the floods, so we got a fair bit of riding in. When they got home, we decided to send the mare up to CT to see if Meg would be able to ride her up there.

Since then, the pair have gone from strength to strength, attending Pony Club and starting basic dressage and jumping. (The mare has had to learn not to be a 'wind drinker'!)

This weekend is Meg's first ever competition, however my sister (who is heavily involved in both Netball and Rugby Union) had two other pre-existing committments for this weekend, so had told Meg that she couldn't go to the Pony Club comp!! Needless to say, Meg was quite upset, so she rang me to complain!!! :)

I told her that I would be happy to come up and take her to Pony Club for the weekend! So, tomorrow I'm off!

I've since found out that it will be a huge weekend, with over 100 nominations! Meg has to do two dressage tests on Saturday, and her show jumping on Sunday. She has been practicing her two tests, and I have to be her caller! It has been over 30 years since I was involved in dressage!!!! So I am also busy learning her tests!!

We will camp out at the Pony Club on Saturday night, and I expect to have lots of fun. I've got the camera packed... however as I never usually get a chance to use it at our endurance rides (just toooo busy), I hope that I remember to get some good pics of this weekend.

I must say that I'm quite excited.... it should be a fun weekend!

njuro
28-03-11, 08:44 PM
I'm home again. And my little neice did pretty well for her first competition!

There were 5 kids in the under 12's dressage, and she got 5th. But I was so pleased with her, and it was her second ever time in a dressage arena! I was her caller, and she did every thing really well, but her horse was a little "wobbly" according to the judge.

Here she is prior to the first test, talking to the judge. I couldn't get any photos during the tests, 'cos I was calling!

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd184/njuro/MegDressage.jpg

Then she had to do a jumping round... 30-40 cms. Second time ever jumping, and when the mare left my place she couldn't jump at all!!!!! There was a very scary brick wall to jump, and ALL of the other horses refused, and Meg's horse really really wanted to refuse, but Meg didn't let her!! She finally popped over the wall, and then went on to do a clear round, albeit slowly.

But, NONE of the others finished the course!!! So, as a result, Meg and Zhateau WON the combined training competition!!!

Here she is with her big blue ribbon:

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd184/njuro/Megwon2.jpg

Then they had to do a Top Score round, and this time the Under 12's and the Under 15's were combined! Meg and Zhateau only got around 4 jumps in the time, but then cleared the Joker! And it was really really high!!!!!!

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd184/njuro/Megjumping9.jpg

And they ended up 4th out of 9 kids!! She was thrilled!!

So, here she is with the three ribbons and her wonderful mare, Zhateau (who is still trying to be an endurance horse, but is learning about dressage and jumping)!

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd184/njuro/Megsribbons.jpg

njuro
28-03-11, 09:11 PM
The funniest thing about the weekend happened this morning, though. Meg got up this morning, and soon afterwards announced that she couldn't find her big blue ribbon anywhere!! My sister and I turned the house upside down trying to find it, and Meg was in tears. We looked everywhere, and retraced Meg's steps last night ('cos she carted it around all night).

No blue ribbon anywhere!

Until I thought to pull back the covers on her bed... and there it was! She'd taken it to bed with her last night, and then left it under the covers when she made her bed this morning!

It was very funny!

MMC
28-03-11, 09:29 PM
What a wonderful story. You are such a proud Aunty. I just love the jumping picture and the look on her face. And what lovely hands she has. :)

That is a great big blue ribbon. She should be very proud.

Looks like you had a great time.

MMC
28-03-11, 09:32 PM
(Before I start, I know I will be shot down for this :( )

Hang on, Ayrabs can't jump ;)

Muzziet
29-03-11, 08:02 AM
Great happy story:)
Happy child, pretty mare, proud aunt.

cbz
29-03-11, 08:12 AM
What a WONDERFUL aunt you are, flying to Charters Towers and taking her to her comp.

I hope she's suitably grateful. I wish I'd had an aunt like you when I was growing up - I might be a better rider now.

Congrats to talented child and pony (and wonderful aunt).

Caille
29-03-11, 10:08 AM
Congratulations to your niece and pony! How awesome! What a totally cool Auntie! Lucky gal!!

opensky
29-03-11, 07:59 PM
Nice looking mare and happy rider! Great achievement! Who says Arabs can't do it all????? Well done all! Rgds

FNQ62
29-03-11, 08:08 PM
Lovely story and pics!

sheppy99
30-03-11, 01:10 PM
Well done, what a great story!!!!!

They look like a great pair and I think they will go far together :)