PDA

View Full Version : Toowoomba Agility & Novelty Groundwork Organisation

LisaL
31-03-11, 06:16 PM
Njuro - tell us more about this stuff - what do you do, how do you do it - is it suitable for a$$hole 4 year old geldings.....

MMC
31-03-11, 07:52 PM
Bump.

Maybe she isn't in from the horses yet. :)

I am sure Njuro will be more than happy to tell you all about this fun horsey activity.

I have seen it and it looks like great fun with your horse, even, "a$$hole 4 year old geldings"

LisaL
01-04-11, 09:42 AM
i'm not sure if a$$hole 4 year olds deserve to be taken out in public anyway - this morning we had a tantrum regarding killer plovers in the arena and i had my first fall - all i can say is that thank god for fat bums and heavy rain rendering the arena nice and soft.....

got back on and it took a while to calm him down about the horse eating plovers but he finally calmed down....no wonder my hair is going grey

but the agility group looks like a really fun thing to do with young horses (as long as they aren't overfaced)

Kilronan
01-04-11, 10:01 AM
Is it any connection to this mob?
http://horseagility.com.au/

njuro
01-04-11, 10:50 AM
Hi LisaL, sorry I didn't see this post earlier!

Horse Agility is like dog agility, where the ultimate goal is to get your horse to follow you at liberty through, around, and over a course of obstacles. Of course, it takes a fair bit of training to get to that point, but the journey is a fun one!

This is a new sport that is starting up in Australia, under the auspices of Horse Agility Australia, which is the website link in the above post. Because I was very interested in this concept, and because there wasn't anything locally, I set up the Toowoomba Agility & Novelty Groundwork Organisation (TANGO) in order to get 'stuff' happening here.

TANGO meets for a Play Day on the first Saturday of each month, at Splendacrest, just south of Toowoomba. The Play Days run from 10am - 4pm, and we have a great agility course here. We also do demonstrations and lessons in getting your horse to move along with you, as well as how to get your horse to do some basic tricks.

On the 4/5 June we will also be hosting a Georgia Bruce Clicker Training Clinic, and all are welcome to attend either as participants or auditors.

Agility training is most suitable for horses of all ages. And handlers of all ages. And people who don't ride for whatever reason particularly love it, as it does not require any riding ability!

We have found that our young horses really get a lot of discipline out of the agility training, and seem to enjoy the interaction with the handler. And our endurance horses really have fun, and are learning new skills! As are our riders!!

The course includes a variety of obstacles, including a curtain, a water feature, several jumps, a platform, a couple of big tractor tyres, a hoop, a tunnel, and much more! For more information, and photos of our obstacles and our horses, please visit the website:

www.ittakes2.webs.com

Remember, it takes two to TANGO!

teetee
01-04-11, 11:35 AM
That would be a handy thing for my filly, when I have both legs fully functional again I would like to try this :)

LisaL
01-04-11, 01:22 PM
i think it would be great fun for kids, and i can see arabian horses just loving it - could be a good saturday night demonstration thing for the arabian challenge show - the mini people already do this stuff at their shows as well?

DO
01-04-11, 02:17 PM
Points al Lisal,

Puts on best Nelson Muntz voice.

HAHA!

LisaL
01-04-11, 03:46 PM
who is nelson munz

DO - did you hear i went Splat! this morning! i'm officially renaming him A$$hole for a while until i get over it.

all i can say is thank god for my fat ass and soft arenas! like landing on my own personal cushion ....

So - maybe i should admit defeat and get into old fogey stuff like agility....

that said, so far the A$$hole has proven to be far safer under saddle than he has being led.

cyrus
01-04-11, 04:28 PM
It appears to be connected Kilronan- the parent body maybe.
From reading the website, it seems the horse should be in good control, and past the A$$hole status..:D:eek:

justme:-)
01-04-11, 04:31 PM
LisaL,
I am suspecting with an attitude like that about your horse it is unlikely you would have enough respect or trust from him to be able to develop the relationship of understanding and partnership needed between the two of you it to participate, do well at and enjoy liberty agility activities with horses.

I imagine your gelding probably has a few choice descriptions of you as well.

If you don't have the trust established with you horse for him to cope with the "scary" stuff, the skill to stay on, or the understanding to get off in time, then it might be better your bruised ego directed your verbal slagging and name calling at yourself not your horse.

Perhaps you might be better taking up lawn bowls. It's less distance to fall and bowling balls are less likely to pick up on the negative energy directed at them.

gg_vice
01-04-11, 05:03 PM
Gee, I've had enough popcorn lately:rolleyes:

Njuro, would love to get something like TANGO going up this way.......if only it would stop raining!

shadowmystique
01-04-11, 05:10 PM
I would enjoy getting into this closer in... Toowoomba is a bit far and I've been struggling with the long distance driving lately... anything over 30mins starts getting scary :(

cyrus
01-04-11, 05:15 PM
I spent a lot of years training my dog through dog obedience levels.
We always had great instructors, and we followed a set way and path of learning for the animals.

I am wondering what sort of teaching happens at these days? so we would know we are following a similar idea to dog agility, or is it just people doing what "comes natural " to them.

I just looked on FB and saw a rather nasty bruise a friend just copped, doing groundwork.
I myself have been also kicked badly in a led class, when another horse took a disliking to mine and backed up and tried to double barrel him, and got me too.

I would be wondering how horses cope free with other horses about and would assume there are many stages before one lets their horse run freely with them too, like off lead at dog school.

teetee
01-04-11, 05:25 PM
Lol justme my filly gets called shit head quite frequently, not my fault she started it! :p she's been giving me the finger since she was a bubba :eek:

LisaL
01-04-11, 05:45 PM
justme - your opinions really aren't that important to me.

shadowmystique
01-04-11, 06:22 PM
I would think that you would not have the loose horse loose with other horses at the same time and that its a structured learning process as is dog agility... not quite as rigid as obedience training and a bit more fun...

My horse is an A$$hole as well, however he excells at ground and liberty work because he has an intelligent and active mind... its also why he ends up being an A$$hole half the time too, so perhaps focusing them and giving them soemthing to do within a framework helps the A$$holes become slightly nicer?

md
01-04-11, 06:35 PM
Nelson Munz is the bully is Simpsons, he is forever going HaHa at the world, DO thought it was pretty funny so best to humor him.

I gotta say I don't get the agility thing at all, not knocking it, just cannot see the point, I know we are all interested in different aspects of horse ownership so all good, but well I would just prefer to ride, and if agility was an interest I would use my Aussie shepherd.

All good though not trying to run those down that enjoy it.

DO
01-04-11, 06:54 PM
Lisal you just to have look at the navel gazing, tree hugging, hippy bullshit website that Justme has on the bottom of her posts to realise where she coming from.

teetee
01-04-11, 07:10 PM
I think it would be a useful tool to engage naughty fillies and teach them to respect, I don't see much point for myself once they are good rideable ponies but at the yearling stage I think getting the horse out among other horses and learning to behave and listen without the added pressure of a show is a good thing IMO. :)

DO
01-04-11, 07:20 PM
I think it would be a useful tool to engage naughty fillies and teach them to respect, I don't see much point for myself once they are good rideable ponies but at the yearling stage I think getting the horse out among other horses and learning to behave and listen without the added pressure of a show is a good thing IMO. :)

Why cant people just leave young horses in paddocks to grow up?

Why is there always a rush.

Dogs need to be adults to do agility because of their bones.

Walks off muttering.......

teetee
01-04-11, 08:03 PM
I don't know about others but in my experience if they grow up and don't learn manners early on they turn into big horses and I find it harder to teach them manners at that stage. I'd rather my baby learn manners before she wakes up to the fact that she's bigger than me! :p

A friend of mine has a horse that was shown as a baby and was an old pro by the time it came time to break in, and breaking in was basically a formality because the horse had been there and done that and wasn't fazed.

Each person has their own way mine is free to be a baby most of the time but I feel better at least having some training under her belt, especially as she has a lot more attitude than my other horses.

njuro
01-04-11, 09:13 PM
What I've learned about agility for horses:

It's fun.
It's entertaining.
It's quite difficult.
But it's rewarding when the horse 'gets' it.
Some horses are better than others.
You have to be very disciplined, and you have to give the 'right' signals to your horse.
Some handlers are better than others.
Kids love it.

We have four different, contained areas where we teach the horse and the handler different skills. The stables in the barn are used to teach focus. The round yard is used to teach join-up. The arena is used to teach the horse to lead and follow well. It is also used to teach the horse how to deal with different obstacles in a secure area. We also use the arena to teach the horse to follow the handler at liberty. The Hippodrome is where we put all of these skills into action, with plenty of obstacles, and plenty of space to move around.

Horse Agility is not for everyone, but it is a good option for young horses, and it is a good option for people who can't ride their horse for one reason or another, but still want to do something fun and active with their horse.

We aren't up to the stage of having competitions, as yet, however we will be starting some basic competitions in the near future.

At our last TANGO Play Day, I was astounded at the progress some horses made! I was also very gratified to see some of the younger kids learning more about how their horses think, and how to focus their horses' attention on something new.

It was a lot of fun, and I hope that it doesn't rain too much tonight, so that tomorrow's scheduled Play Day goes ahead!

Harriette
02-04-11, 09:15 AM
when is sympathetic correct training ever a bad thing for a horse.

all training moves with a change of discipline, its all part of the horses education.

cyrus
17-10-11, 09:42 AM
Why cant people just leave young horses in paddocks to grow up?

Why is there always a rush.

Dogs need to be adults to do agility because of their bones.

Walks off muttering.......

I was just wondering if anyone did a recent agility day in Camden and found this quote.

I have been wondering the same myself recently about young horses and what some people do to them in the name of "desensitisation"

If I want a good riding horse, I ride it and train it to the tasks I hope it will be good at, when it is developed enough in bones and mind.

I often wonder if an agility trained horse will go running off and try and step on things or go through hoops or whatever.
Hopefully if it has ridden aids well set- all will be well???

Any thoughts?

How is the agility club still enjoying life as well?

Bfisch
17-10-11, 11:28 AM
I would enjoy getting into this closer in... Toowoomba is a bit far and I've been struggling with the long distance driving lately... anything over 30mins starts getting scary :(

Me too! My horse is at Tamborine but I'd love to do something like this.. just not all the way at T/ba lol

MMC
17-10-11, 01:42 PM
Bump!!

Njuro, this was bought up again today. Thought you may want to comment. :)

cbrown
17-10-11, 05:03 PM
Me too! My horse is at Tamborine but I'd love to do something like this.. just not all the way at T/ba lol

Me three. I would def give it a go. We could go down to Ben Bell's at veresdale and play indoors.

My ancient showjumper has been retired for around 10 years and when a friend was at my place jumping a youngster I sort of pointed him at a jump (riderless with no lead or alley or anything) and you should have seen him. All his glory days came flooding back and he cantered up (it was at least 4 strides away) and off and jumped it with his ears pricked. I've never seen a light in his eye like it.

I think he's still a showpony at heart and would love to do something like this.