PDA

View Full Version : OTTBs first rides today

kokage
22-04-11, 07:22 PM
Our two new OTTBs had their first rides today since we bought them. Actually, it's probably their first rides since their last starts on the track, back in February! They have had three or four weeks here getting lunged, doing a bit of groundwork, eating lots of grass and feed, and putting on weight. They were both perfect! The sharper one was way better than expected, especially since we'd heard that he was "trained" by being led out the back of a car, by a trainer who has since lost his licence... The cruisy one was amazingly balanced and responsive. Love those TBs! And they both looked and felt bigger, taller and stronger under saddle than we expected - not bad for horses advertised as being 15.2 (maybe to get the polo people in?) even though they are well over 16 hands. Doing a bit of research, discovered that the sharp one was born in July .... he was technically 1 year old at one month old! He is branded with a 5, even though he was born (in Australia) in July 2006.

capri
22-04-11, 07:34 PM
Excellent. I love the TB's So where are the pics and what is their breeding if known and what do you plan for them. So many questions!

ktgirl88
22-04-11, 08:12 PM
Awesome :-) I've heard good things about them both! That's so weird about one being born in 2006 but is branded with a 5.... I'm guessing it will be a while until I see them out and about?

Off topic from the new ponies, how is the golden boy recovering after his abscess? He'll be ok for World Cup won't he?

haveaniceday
22-04-11, 09:02 PM
kokage the one branded with a 5 but born on 06. He must have been a very early foal OR it was before the rules changed. The old rule use to be that if a foal was born before Aug 1 is was deemed to belong to the previous years foal crop (so in this case 05-06) and was a year old on Aug 1 even if its only a week or two old. The changed it fairly recently so that as long as the mare is served after Sep 1 then the foal is part of the following foal crop (so can be born in July).

Probably a good thing as the admin would look very odd for that stallion as obvously the mare was not served in 04 to produce the foal in Jul 06. It would probably say something like 'deemed to be foaled in o5' on the studbook record.

Shads
22-04-11, 09:12 PM
They both sounds like great horses....

Would love to see pics as well :D

kokage
22-04-11, 09:38 PM
Th early one is by Choisoir, the other one is by Falvelon (and looks just like him!). We don;t really mind about the dates/branding etc. It is just good to know he is effectively a year younger than we realised!

StElmosFire
23-04-11, 12:08 AM
http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss67/StElmosFire_bucket/thisthreadisuselesswithoutpictures-1.gif

ouch25
23-04-11, 08:45 AM
Love those little pic things Sef! lol

I love TB's. I wish I had space to take as many OTTTB as I can. One day :D

gdh
23-04-11, 11:31 AM
I'm not certain when the rule changed but presently horses are 'legal' even if dropped in July as long as they were served after Sept 1.
I guess the 'year' brand would stay the same, legal or otherwise as it is still the same year.
I'd say everything's above board as all the July foals used to be recorded as Aug, just hidden away before then if need be :)

Caille
23-04-11, 02:41 PM
Congratulations! What awesome ponies! I'd love to see piccies, too!

kokage
24-04-11, 08:17 PM
No pix, but they both walked trotted and cantered today in the arena - and no lunging first! Not totally unexpected (after all, that's what racehorses do every day while in a preparation, albeit not in an arena), but compared to others I've had, these two are very easy! I think the standard of pre-training an track-work riding has improved immeasurable over the past few decades, so many horses are so much more rideable.