PDA

View Full Version : Do you agist between Helensburgh & Albion Park NSW? I'd like to know where!!!

moosh
28-04-11, 10:50 AM
Do you agist between these areas?? If so I would like to know where & what your thoughs are?? Also if you know of anywhere in this area & what you can tell me about it. I tried to find a recent thread but couldn't.

I am toying with the idea of moving the boy closer to home if practicable, as per my thread a week or so ago I am struggling to get time to ride as it is now darker, life/work is getting in the way & he is so far away & it is causing me the guilts & sapping my motivation.

I have never agisted before (am privately agisting at the property a wonderful friend who has helped me out immensley at ATM) so have no idea of what is out there or what it costs. I just want him closer so I can ride most days & don't mind if it is full DIY. Somewhere to ride close by would be nice and access to an arena would be helpful.

I know of Darkes Forest Riding School (they are a client & I rode there as a kid), Otford Valley Farm & Glen Kiri from googling. Friends are at Croome Rd so I know it too. Any others or feedback on any??? PM's are fine if you don't want to give away where you are.

Thanks in advance!!:)

zak
28-04-11, 11:21 AM
moosh, if you hear of anything I'd love to know too, as I am in the same boat.

Cybergirl
28-04-11, 11:43 AM
Hiya, my guys are at Avondale. Some horses left our agistment place recently but the owner has decided to replace them with cows, so nothing new opening up here atm. Someone else on here was asking not that long ago too... Best bet might be to have a chat to the girls at Horseland at Yallah?...

I'll keep an ear out, but am largely out of the loop about other properties these days.

screwloose
28-04-11, 12:02 PM
There use to be adjustment at lakeview lodge(maybe??) in koonawarra. Also rondenella stables in dapto although most of the paddocks are now houses :( as well as the old indoor. Maybe also contact some of the people in the kembla grange horse complex they may know if something closer.

moosh
28-04-11, 12:50 PM
There use to be adjustment at lakeview lodge(maybe??) in koonawarra. Also rondenella stables in dapto although most of the paddocks are now houses :( as well as the old indoor. Maybe also contact some of the people in the kembla grange horse complex they may know if something closer.

I am finding that is the case at lots of places that used to be agistment. I had a look at one at Kembla Grange but it was a stable & waiting list for a yard which wasn't ideal as I think that after being in a massive paddock with friends I would end up with a very unhappy boy!!! Stabling is probably not for us hehe. Damn progress!!! All Wollongong Council paddocks are VERY tightly held & when someone leaves generally get turned into something else.

Thanks Cybergirl, I will have a chat to the girls at Horseland. My friends at Croome Rd are letting me know if anything opens up there too. Zak I will let you know if I find anything. Do you want northern suburbs though?

KLB4
28-04-11, 01:14 PM
I agisted at Otford Valley Farm for years and only left because I moved hours away. If I had to go back to southern Sydney/Wollongong I would be back at OVF in a flash.

Cybergirl
28-04-11, 01:30 PM
Try Willowdene at Yallah, I think they're in the phone book as a racehorse spelling and training place (Steve and Barry Hill), but the large front paddock is a shared agistment paddock for all types, I used to be there ages ago.

Also Croome Agistment, right up the end of Croome Rd (maybe that's where your friends are, although there's agistment all along Croome Rd).

I've noticed some horses agisted behind the Christmas Warehouse there on the highway at Yallah, no idea who you'd contact about that place though.

Flike
28-04-11, 03:05 PM
At Helensburgh there are a very agistment places along walker st, Since it has been a while since i have agisted there I am unsure of how much they are. Otford is a suburb next door to Helensburgh and there are 2 places that do agistment. Otford Valley farm is a beautiful place with everything that you can wish for. There is also Otford Farm which is part of a riding school. Darkes Forrest has a few places to. There is Darkes Forrest riding Ranch that is very good but they also run a horse riding enterprise to so it gets very busy. Next door there is also a privately owned property and a few others along that road that do agistment. In Albion park, Croom road agistment is good. I will see if I can get more info for you.

zak
28-04-11, 03:21 PM
Hi Moosh, yes I am a Hobbit (in the Shire) so the further North the better. However at the moment I am travelling 45-50 min to Zak so heading South that travelling time would place me in an area well past the Gong.

To be honest I have looked on/off at times for a while and never really found what I was looking for... I think the best for the $ was Darkes... Still cant hurt to keep looking.

sergundo
28-04-11, 05:18 PM
Hi moosh!
I used to agist at the private property next door to the riding school. Lovely property, lots of grass. Not many people there thesedays. Besides Darkes Forest Riding School there isn't a great deal of proper 'riding' places to agist at. I personally would never put my horses at the riding school.... Have in the past and never again.
I now agist in Helensburgh on Walker Street. Absolutely love it. Not sure if there's any places left there though. Don't go to Glen Kiri ... Otford Valley Farm is where my coach is, my horse wasn't happy there but the facilities are top class. I wish my horse was happier there and I'd go back in a flash.. Don't go to Otford farm.... There's a few places around that area that are great, a few that a shabby, and a few that are okay .... just depends what you want. Happy to answer any questions!! I am a shire hobbit, so it take me about 20-25 minutes to get to Helensburgh
Where abouts do you live.

moosh
28-04-11, 11:20 PM
Hi moosh!
I used to agist at the private property next door to the riding school. Lovely property, lots of grass. Not many people there thesedays. Besides Darkes Forest Riding School there isn't a great deal of proper 'riding' places to agist at. I personally would never put my horses at the riding school.... Have in the past and never again.
I now agist in Helensburgh on Walker Street. Absolutely love it. Not sure if there's any places left there though. Don't go to Glen Kiri ... Otford Valley Farm is where my coach is, my horse wasn't happy there but the facilities are top class. I wish my horse was happier there and I'd go back in a flash.. Don't go to Otford farm.... There's a few places around that area that are great, a few that a shabby, and a few that are okay .... just depends what you want. Happy to answer any questions!! I am a shire hobbit, so it take me about 20-25 minutes to get to Helensburgh
Where abouts do you live.

I'm in the northern suburbs of Wollongong, nr Corrimal so Otford/Helensburgh or Albion Park are pretty much the same travelling time fo me. The ones on Walker St are they past Glen Kiri near the Temple thing?? I have noticed the one next to Darkes Forest Riding Ranch it looked nice. I am pretty easy going. Will have to go look at afew of the sugestions I think!!!

Pillegro
28-04-11, 11:32 PM
I will PM you Moosh

Cybergirl
29-04-11, 09:17 AM
I'm in the northern suburbs of Wollongong, nr Corrimal Lol, I'm at Towradgi.

Andoran Stud at Darkes Forest also does agistment, some individual paddocks with stables (I imagine there'd be a wait to get one of those) and the generic share paddock out the back. They also have a dressage arena. A lady I work with is the owner's daughter, let me know if you have any interest in their contact details as well.

Bohdi
29-04-11, 11:36 AM
Lol, I'm at Towradgi.

Andoran Stud at Darkes Forest also does agistment, some individual paddocks with stables (I imagine there'd be a wait to get one of those) and the generic share paddock out the back. They also have a dressage arena. A lady I work with is the owner's daughter, let me know if you have any interest in their contact details as well.

We just moved our two horses from Stabled yards at Andoran, so I know there are vacancies.

If you like jumping dont go to Andoran, that is why we moved. If you only do dressage Andoran is perfect, except the owner is very particular in the way she expects you to conduct yourself, you have to get used to her.

We have agisted at the Darkes Forest Riding School, I have a very particular view of that property, needless to say, it did not suit our needs, but has good facilities.

We have agisted at Otford Valley Farm, great place, great facilities, but no grass. We moved our horse because he got depressed

The agistment property near the temple, I dont think has vacancies at the moment.

We are currently along Walker St, down from Glen Keri, on the opposite side. We love it there, and so do the horses. We can use a dressage arena, jump and there are even a couple of XC fences. Lots of nice trails, but there are no vacancies at the moment.

I guess it depends on what discipline you are interested in.

If you have any further enquiries, please ask, we have pretty much agisted every where in Helensburgh and Darkes Forest over the last 10 yrs