PDA

View Full Version : Bridles

windsweptfarm
11-05-11, 09:02 PM
Upon receiving a lovely Jeremy & Lord browband for my birthday, I have decided it is far too nice to use with my crappy $40 Saddlecraft bridle, and I really do need to get a nicer bridle. Have been putting it off for months lol.

So...I'm looking for something reasonably nice that doesn't cost the earth (Budget is about $100, maybe a little more. Poor high school student...) Must come in black and cob, hanoverian attachment preferred but not vital. Flat or raised noseband not a huge deal. Browband is flat, horse has a reasonably fine head.

So, suggestions?

ponyclub
11-05-11, 09:53 PM
Depending on what you want you could have a look on Horseland.com and than if anything appeals to you but it is out of your price range have a look on ebay. But if you do chose ebay make sure the seller has 100% positive feedback ;)

windsweptfarm
11-05-11, 10:02 PM
I do like the look of the Collegiate ones, but would rather not spend $180 lol. I *could* afford it...but would mean I can't put anything away this week. Will check eBay out.

jersey_cow
11-05-11, 10:06 PM
I got an Anky to use as my everyday bridle and am very happy with it.
http://ankyaustralia.com.au/shop/view/snaffle_bridle#

Norbit
11-05-11, 10:10 PM
Could your family, etc. put towards money for your birthday, or other occasion maybe?

After buying cheapies for many years, I think I've spent so much money on bridles that get replaced when they look cruddy - I've decided to splurge a bought a lovely poll relief snaffle with padded reins (LOVE!) from Carrington's which I'm at least hoping will last a long time being well looked after.:)

Otherwise I more recently bought a Krappy Kincade flat cavesson bridle with laced reins...came up alright after treating it with Hydrophane leather dressing, it looked lovely on my mare.:)

windsweptfarm
11-05-11, 10:16 PM
Literally just had my birthday, so that idea is no use hehe. I know the good quality bridles are worth it...but my bank account isn't so sure lol. And if I'm going to get a new bridle, there's no point buying a Kincade to replace a Saddlecraft lmao. Have looked at the Jeremy and Lord bridles, but nothing really caught my eye that I liked everything about...

Tb Lover
11-05-11, 10:19 PM
Got these from UK - I have not fitted them properly ... just 'try out shots' ...
http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab252/Bing_038/Foaly/DSCN1431.jpg
$127.25 AUD delivered = exchange fees.
http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab252/Bing_038/Preston/DSCN1411.jpg
same bridle as above but does not suit him ... prefer this one with adjustments for $60 AUD (with reins) and adjustments
http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab252/Bing_038/Preston/DSCN0832.jpg
will keep the 'Havana' (with adjustments) for our LC foal
http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab252/Bing_038/Preston/DSCN0827.jpg
In the package with the top bridle (Jefferies) my mate got a pony Collegiate for $56.20 (AUD)(delivered) no reins ... the middle two have reins ...
The middle two bridles $50 AUD with reins (delivered) ....

windsweptfarm
11-05-11, 10:33 PM
Where did you get them TBL??? And what is the leather like?

Norbit
11-05-11, 10:42 PM
Cute horsies and property, TbL...:)

In your budget, I would maybe look at the Jeremy and Lord dressage bridle, it looked quite nice when I was at Saddleworld awhile ago. Flat, but padded brow and noseband, gold buckles and laced reins from memory. It was about $120.00. The J&L padded reins are quite lovely too...;)

Tb Lover
11-05-11, 11:09 PM
Where did you get them TBL??? And what is the leather like?
The leather is LEATHER you can 'smell it' :) .. Then I do the first oil in pure warmed Olive Oil - they are lovely bridles for the price - just lucky I guess - the Lady that sold them to me was on my thread 'Journey Of My Bridles' - we are pen friends (cyber wise) and share pics :) so she does me and my friends a good deal :) - I actually 'bumped' into her trying to find joddie boots for my kid - which we received - but I stuffed up the size ;) (dilly me) .... so we got yarning and I told her .... one thing lead to another - then BINGO we got some bridles (and LOVELY reins) - Oh from Pommy Land - You will love that thread I put up if you like the English 'countryside'

windsweptfarm
11-05-11, 11:11 PM
Not overly fussed on gold buckles actually...I prefer silver. More looking at either their equestrian bridle (same price I think) which is raised with a hanoverian attachment, or the simple snaffle which is only $90. Flat browband and noseband, but regardless of what the browband is like I will be replacing it with the nice new one. Would have to get a different browband anyway, as Sally requires a cob size bridle but a full size browband, just to be difficult lol. But am going to see what a flat noseband looks like on her first...because I've only ever used a raised and quite liked the look. So that will determine which bridle I buy.

Sunsation
11-05-11, 11:40 PM
I've given up on buying bridles in Australia, you can get much nicer stuff much cheaper if you look elsewhere.

I just received a new FSS bridle, sent over from the UK. Cost just over $100 to get it sent here + reins, and it's not a bad bridle at all. Nice leather, good workmanship, looks nice. A great work bridle! Maybe not super-duper competition quality, but a whole load nicer than anything I've seen in the same price bracket over here, and genuine English leather! Plus you have the option of gold or silver buckles.

cobie
11-05-11, 11:46 PM
What store did you get it from Sunsation? Just sold a couple of show jackets and my debit card is burning a hole in my pocket.. :rolleyes:

dante
12-05-11, 06:35 AM
I quite like the Henri de Rivel bridles, but seeing as the new browband is Jeremy and Lord, might be best to get one of their bridles

http://www.equestrienne.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4_15&products_id=48

$119 so only a little bit over your budget

Caille
12-05-11, 07:30 AM
I've given up on buying bridles in Australia, you can get much nicer stuff much cheaper if you look elsewhere.

I just received a new FSS bridle, sent over from the UK. Cost just over $100 to get it sent here + reins, and it's not a bad bridle at all. Nice leather, good workmanship, looks nice. A great work bridle! Maybe not super-duper competition quality, but a whole load nicer than anything I've seen in the same price bracket over here, and genuine English leather! Plus you have the option of gold or silver buckles.

I got one for Gypsy and love it. You have a choice of nosebands (mine is a drop), sizes, and colours. It's butter-soft real English leather. With the exchange rate now, it's a fabulous buy! Shipping does take 4-6 weeks, so don't panic.

It's the comfort poll snaffle, and the browband matches the noseband. The pink bling browband was made by our very own Cobie.
http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k356/caille_01/forcaille.jpg

Sunsation
12-05-11, 07:53 AM
What store did you get it from Sunsation? Just sold a couple of show jackets and my debit card is burning a hole in my pocket.. :rolleyes:

I got mine from Saddlery4u - the ebay store. The German Comfort Fancy Gold or something... They have a huuuuge selection!

Caille - I got mine in 3 weeks, over the Easter break! Was very impressed.

Koalas_rule
12-05-11, 08:22 AM
Windsweptfarm don't know if you are interested, but I have an English leather English made black cob snaffle bridle for sale. It has flat nose & browband and is quite fine - I purchased it as a full size in the UK but then discovered on my return to Australia that it is only cob size. I can get you photos if you are interested but that won't be until next Thursday when I come off roster. Including postage I'd accept $90. It's a beautiful bridle, never been used, never even been oiled, conditioned or anything.

sarahNjudy2
12-05-11, 08:35 AM
I bought my everyday use bridle from newmarket saddlery for $49!

Much better than the kinkade and even the collegiate at horseland by far, so soft and supple and its lasted really well! Highly recommended!

A great find- http://www.newmarketsaddlery.com.au/

jersey_cow
12-05-11, 09:30 AM
The Jeremy and Lord padded reins donít last if you use rings/ martingale on them. Crap leather, I bought some $20 elastic notch reins to go with my Anky bridle and they have lasted a treat! So thumbs down for Jeremy and Lord from me. The Anky bridle has the padded poll bit, itís really nice enough for a comp bridle, but decided to retire the Kincade work bridle and get one of these for every day, I love the double roll it has for the noseband, very different to all the other bridles out there, and itís beautiful leather. Itís just double your price range. Iím not a fan of flat leather bridles at all.

windsweptfarm
12-05-11, 10:25 AM
Would definitely be interested in that Koalas!!!

Quality of the reins doesn't bother me in the slightest, as I quite like the web ones I already have.

LisaL
12-05-11, 11:01 AM
the bridle that the horror child utterly destroyed on its second wearing was a J&L eventing bridle - and i'm not sorry at its demise.

its fit was dreadful - he's a tb, standard sized tb - but the bridle had been designed to fit a tapir x elephant or some other mythical beasty.

the leather was just horrid.

the only part not destroyed was the browband, and a full sized browband was way too narrow for his head.

looking at some of those lovely bridles (because after destroying three bridles now, i don't have a bridle for the horrorchild) and thinking - hmmmmm - $20 or less may be the budget he deserves for now....

but the exchange rate and quality leather sounds tempting.

windsweptfarm
12-05-11, 11:10 AM
Actually Lisa....you've just reminded me about my friend's J&L bridle she got with her new horse...was a really weird fit. Like...really weird. Hmmm...food for thought!!! But I like my browband regardless hehe. It is very nice leather.

Koalas_rule
12-05-11, 11:36 AM
Windsweptfarm I will take some photos next week and send them through.

windsweptfarm
12-05-11, 11:57 AM
Awesome, thanks!

Elise Mudgee
12-05-11, 12:03 PM
Just an idea; you could look at the Zilco (or any other brand) website, and if you like anything there call around your local Saddleworld, Horseland and private saddleries and see who will do the best price and/or call the on-line guys like Newmarket too - someone might be willing to bring the price down to gain your sale :)

rmjens
12-05-11, 01:07 PM
Jeremy and Lord bridles are also off my list to buy. I have one from about 15 years ago and it's still good but the new one is disappointing - both in quality of leather and fit.

I am waiting on Newmarket to send me a new Zilco browband to replace the one where the ribbon and the diamontes fell out after the first couple of rides. Nice bridle though.

The Saddlery4U bridle is ok as are the Collegiate and Signatures. All these under $200 bridles are a bit hit and miss. I think that's why I have so many!

We have a number of the Horseland ones with the brass brow band (mind blank about the brand but they were mentioned earlier). They often come on sale for around the $80 - 90 mark and we've used them every day for years and they are still going strong.

ETA - the Zilco browband has just arrived. Thanks Newmarket and Zilco for responding so promptly!

LisaL
12-05-11, 01:33 PM
so - since the prarg carboot sale was the weekend before the demise of my J&L bridle, and i don't see the point in spending big money on a serial bridle destructacon....

what's a good cheap bridle? ie that will fit the king of bridle destruction but won't be the source of too many tears when it is destroyed?
i also have to buy a new rope halter - did i mention that the rope halter got destroyed a couple of weeks ago as well?

why hasn't that lady rung me asking for the privilege of taking destructacon away?

hmmm - i can see a 'leading skills 101' intervention on destructacon's horizon....

LindaH
12-05-11, 01:47 PM
I would go and buy the most hideous plastic bridle you can find. Preferably in pink, purple, sparkly or all 3 together. This will ensure the horse never breaks it, if only so he can embarass you for the rest of your time together :D.

sarahNjudy2
12-05-11, 01:53 PM
LOL @ Linda!! My thoughts exactly!! Supposing previous destructive activities would not be harmful for a very un-giving PVC bridle!

windsweptfarm
12-05-11, 02:00 PM
The new Collegiate ones are quite nice, hence why I've been looking at them...but can definitely get them cheaper if I buy from the UK, even including postage.

tunagirll
12-05-11, 05:31 PM
I was shopping for a spare bridle and thought I'd really like one of the new ones; not naming names but look VERY closely at the tags on any shop bridles because a lot of them, including VERY expensive ones, are no longer made of English leather, and instead from cheaper European leather.

I find this really misleading as they say 'finest quality' etc and then in tiny print mention it's not even English leather???

And if you lightly flex the leather you can see the quality is not there :(

I buy mine from the USA direct, or from english saddleries via ebay. Not only is it cheaper, but you will actually receive English leather bridles.

I'm not a gear snob, but English leather LASTS.

Koalas_rule
12-05-11, 08:42 PM
I buy ALL my bridles in the UK now, and not from the big saddleries either. I recently purchased the most beautiful double bridle, English leather, made in England, to my measurements/specifications, and it cost $189 (including postage). No way in the wide world could I get anything like the quality for anywhere near that price here in Australia.

Toriadore
12-05-11, 10:15 PM
I buy mine from the USA direct, or from english saddleries via ebay. Not only is it cheaper, but you will actually receive English leather bridles.

I'm not a gear snob, but English leather LASTS.

Totally agree! I have a Hubertus bridle my dad gave me for my 18th birthday. It was a full double bridle complete with all bells and whistles back then and I rode in it twice.
That same bridle(some 29 odd years later) is a basic bridle now with out any noseband, sweet iron bit and black pimple rubber reins left over from my hunting days.
It fits my QH perfectly and to this day is as soft as suede and in perfect knick. Gotta love English!

Tb Lover
12-05-11, 10:39 PM
http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab252/Bing_038/Preston/DSCN1463.jpg

The 'Flat Black' bridle I got for $60 (AUD) delivered .... that now has been adjusted with shorter cheek straps that the 'lady' threw in for free plus an extra browband.

.... anyway if I did not want all the bridles I have showed you lot ..... 'rmjens' was going to snaffle the lot! :D:D
http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab252/Bing_038/Preston/DSCN1462.jpg

Tb Lover
12-05-11, 11:53 PM
Windsweptfarm don't know if you are interested, but I have an English leather English made black cob snaffle bridle for sale. It has flat nose & browband and is quite fine - I purchased it as a full size in the UK but then discovered on my return to Australia that it is only cob size. I can get you photos if you are interested but that won't be until next Thursday when I come off roster. Including postage I'd accept $90. It's a beautiful bridle, never been used, never even been oiled, conditioned or anything.

I'm interested ... can you pm me the pic? (If not already sold) - Ta :)

cobie
13-05-11, 12:06 AM
I got mine from Saddlery4u - the ebay store. The German Comfort Fancy Gold or something... They have a huuuuge selection!

Found the store.. can't believe the massive selection! I've managed to resist so far though, I'm fussy and want a bridle with hook stud buckles on the cheepiece/bit section, and 90% of their bridles have the buckles on the outside.

I did just find a flash one with rolled straps and patent leather noseband and browband though.. can't decide whether I love it or hate it!

Charlypops
13-05-11, 07:42 AM
Found the store.. can't believe the massive selection! I've managed to resist so far though,

I didn't :o

Koalas_rule
13-05-11, 07:54 AM
I'm interested ... can you pm me the pic? (If not already sold) - Ta :)

TBL I will send the photo next Thursday when I come off roster. It won't be sold beforehand ...

windsweptfarm
13-05-11, 09:05 AM
oh man...just found that store too, and WOW huge selection much...if I find something decently priced I don't think I'll be able to resist haha