PDA

View Full Version : where can I sell 2 saddles?

Montego
20-06-11, 08:57 PM
Where do you guys sell saddles? i.e. fast?

I just cannot justify buying a new saddle when I have these 2 sitting in the tack room, but neither of them fits my mare.

They are both really good quality saddles, so I cannot bring myself to chuck them on evilbay. Where else is good?

(I am not trying to sell them via this thread, and I don't really read the wanted and for sale threads on here, I find them a bit boring, sorry. )

horsesRgr8
20-06-11, 09:03 PM
if you want a fast no fuss sale (but less dollars).........Cash converters.....then people like moi can go in and find a bargain!!
How about your nearest horse and saddlery auction?.........what are they BTW....?

Montego
20-06-11, 09:16 PM
One is a Kieffer and one is a KN Symphony.

Ha ha about cash converters, they're worse than evilbay. I don't think we have local saddlery auctions, but thanks anyway.

Anyone ever sold via "consignment' ? What did you think of it?

capri
20-06-11, 09:20 PM
Bugger wish you put this up yesterday. I was looking at a kn Symphony and put a bid on evilbay last nite on a different one. Can you PM me what they are and the price you have on them Thanks

Montego
20-06-11, 09:34 PM
PM'd you Capri. Except ooops, I forgot to tell you about the second one. I will send you another pm.

Muzziet
20-06-11, 09:35 PM
The saddlery at Albion Park used to buy 2nd hand gear for cash but that was a few years back now.

Anubis
20-06-11, 09:35 PM
Don't have to read them to stick your saddles on for sale :)
What sort of Kieffer and what is your ballpark price

WBIT1973
20-06-11, 10:25 PM
LOL Saddles like that always sell fast even on Ebay I would think?? You could put ads up in Horseland or even in Horsedeals??....:D

StElmosFire
20-06-11, 10:40 PM
Well maybe you should swallow your boredom and give selling them by "our" for sale threads a try! People get very keen on "good" stuff, and both your saddles are "good".

I sold a Bates Precieux on consignment at a local saddlery, before I got onto buying and selling stuff on "EvilBay". Silliest thing I ever did. They took 20% commission, and I only got $640. It was worth a lot more than that. I'd have been better "EvilBay-ing" it, or selling via the online classifieds.
I'd never sell something on consignment again - you lose too much money.

Cannondale
21-06-11, 08:34 AM
I would never do consignment again. Saddleries let your saddle out to chancers who have no intention of buying. Saddle comes back scratched, missing it's girth and in my case my English leather stirrup leathers replaced with shitty Indian leather ones.

eBay you can't go past for results. Wider market and they are committed to purchase if they genuinely want it.

Zampari
21-06-11, 12:16 PM
My local saddlery does good consignments. You state the price you want for the saddle then they pop their commission plus GST on top. They only give saddles to trial to people they know and trust not just a random person who walks in off the street. If someone makes an offer they contact you to see if you approve of the price before they sell it. I don't think you could get too much fairer than that.

I wouldn't dismiss Ebay for good quality saddles. They normally sell very well but of course like selling anything you have to have the right buyer come along at the right time. You can put a reserve price on your saddle too so it doesn't sell for any less than you want it to. The for sale threads on here do tend to generate a lot of interest so again don't dismiss them either. You could also put an add in your local newspaper and your local horse store. If you're quick you can ge an add in the August Horse Deals mag too.

nel
21-06-11, 12:56 PM
Word of mouth on forums?

I bought a lovely Stuart Comboyne Brown Pony Saddle off a lovely lady on here and it is the best saddle I have ever owned!!! :D

emmasshowhorses.com gets a heap of hits and is affordable to advertise on?

Cybergirl
21-06-11, 01:26 PM
Why not advertise here on the Virtual Tackyard, places like Horsedeals, etc. I've heard HD is pretty good for saddles...

Silver Taffy
21-06-11, 01:54 PM
Well I've found selling horsey items on the local facebook equestrian for sale & buy group very good! I put up the pics and my price and for those that don't live near me, as I live out of town, I meet them at Maccas carpark in town on a day when I'm already heading into town. I've sold two saddles, bridles, rugs etc this way (though also I've bought a saddle this way & other items but for good prices).

No one has stood me up but I've had a few people say they'll buy the items and not arrange to do it but I let them know first in to actually pay & pick up buys it. Has worked well, no postage issues for me or the buyers and I get the person to inspect the item first to make sure they're happy with it.

Montego
21-06-11, 02:09 PM
Wow, you guys are great. Thank you so much for all the encouragement etc. It's nearly too much info!

Good to hear that a certain Stewart Comboyne saddle is still loved, I LOVED that saddle. I didn't think it was such a bad fit on the pony either.. he's now in a Thorowgood T6, but he would bit your arm off if he could while being girthed up. How do I end up with such tricky to fit horses? Everyone else just chucks a Kieffer on and it fits their horse, but not mine.

I didn't know you could put a reserve on evil bay, that would be a good way to go. I will try the local facebook thingy too. And I might just hurry up and get into HD as well. The consignment I was considering is Tony whatsit in Kensington, but it is risky.

My Keiffer is lovely and in very good nik, and is $800 asking price (meaning 'asking'), if anyone wants it.

Thank you all again, I don't feel nearly as depressed about the whole thing now.

nel
21-06-11, 02:19 PM
Good to hear that a certain Stewart Comboyne saddle is still loved, I LOVED that saddle. I didn't think it was such a bad fit on the pony either.. he's now in a Thorowgood T6, but he would bit your arm off if he could while being girthed up. How do I end up with such tricky to fit horses? Everyone else just chucks a Kieffer on and it fits their horse, but not mine.

Oh it is LOVED alright, I adore that saddle. It fits my big girl too, pony ended up growing to broad for it (he is in wide - extra wide gullets now), so i moved him on and kept saddle :D But i would have to say it is the best fitting saddle I have owned, from the big girl to Frosty for a time and Millie (hubby's pony)! There is one pony it didn't quite fit, but the only thing that fits is a pad.

(and Tahlia loves the saddle too - she helps me clean and oil it, and was sitting in it on its saddle horse watching the wiggles the other day lol i had brought it in to condition with all the dreadful weather, claimed it :D )

She only wore it once, before the pad arrived :)
http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo246/channellecathers/Picture150.jpg

Have faith, your saddles will sell, they are good popular saddles. I hope you get something that fits well, it can be so darn tricky sometimes!!!

EquineTherapy
21-06-11, 02:32 PM
nel....is that not the cutest photo EVER?

In regards to selling saddles, there is so many choices these days. If you aren't in a hurry, try the sale thread on here, if that doesn't work, try a good local saddlery that you have a relationship with, and do the consignment thing. Just make sure you take into account the saddlery commission.

I sold my County on ebay a couple of years ago, mind you it was in pristine condition, but I made $1200. The starting bid was $500. The trick is not to set the starting price too high in my experience!

Just out of interest, what is the Kieffer?

Montego
21-06-11, 02:40 PM
It is a Kieffer Wien, size 0, meaning a smaller saddle. It is quite wide for a Kieffer, and was used on my 14.2 small galloway. It is all stamped with Munchen etc and has a serial no. stamped in it as well, so it's a Germany made one, not a newer Chinese/Indian/? made one. I have no idea how old it is, I bought it second hand. PM me for more... I am at work and will be spiflicated if I don't log off.