PDA

View Full Version : Gelding...

Kilronan
19-07-11, 05:45 PM
Just after some opinions I have a 9month old colt that I am planning to geld but as I have only gelded one horse before so I am not overly experienced with it.

I am assuming the vet will just drop him in the paddock etc but based on when my other boy was gelded they like them to move around quite a bit and I was wondering if the fact that I am in Canberra and it is quite cold here at the moment should have anything to do with my timing, what I mean to ask is should I wait till it is warmer to have him done?

I do not have stables etc so he will have to be out in the paddock with his rugs off as I assume the leg straps might be a bit much for him post gelding also.

Just looking for opinions, experiences etc I would like to cut him before spring if possible.

Charlypops
19-07-11, 05:53 PM
My vet has always recommended that they are locked up the first night, and then let out in the paddock, so that they can move around as much as possible to reduce swelling after that. Is there anyway you can make up a temp hot tape yard for the first night?

I personally would not be worried about the temp, but would be worried if it is really muddy.

shadowmystique
19-07-11, 05:54 PM
Colder is better, less flies and infection... You can hand walk or lunge for exercise to keep him moving and reduce chances of adhesion or build up of fluids from standing still.

I like to coat the insides of the legs in vaseline post op before they wake up fully as well.

gdh
19-07-11, 05:55 PM
I've never had any trouble with legs straps bar the blood they get plastered on :( but plenty of exercise seems to be the key altho' I've both found & heard that the earlier they're done, the quicker the recovery. Commonsense tho' isn't it? ;) Worst case scenario is dust & flies.

StElmosFire
19-07-11, 06:03 PM
Without going from one extreme to the other, personally I'd wait till it was a bit warmer. Sore things ache more when it's bitterly cold; and if he's at all reluctant to move about, he'll be a lot more miserable in this current arctic weather. That said, flies and dust are the last things you want too.

cbz
19-07-11, 06:15 PM
Would probably agree with SEF in this instance. Canberra has lovely springs when the days are warmer and the nights not so cold - maybe do it then? The younger he is, the smaller the operation, the quicker the recovery (and the taller he'll finally end up growing - that's the conventional wisdom).

Neisje
19-07-11, 06:16 PM
Cold is fine, mud is not! So I wouldnt be worried about the cold, but I would be worried if its very wet and muddy as you don't want to have him locked up in a stable as he needs to move. I have just had 2 gelded a couple of weeks ago, no mud up till last few days and by then the wounds had pretty well closed up and healed.

Garryngirl
19-07-11, 08:22 PM
I have only ever had 1 horse gelded and was told to hose him daily to keep the area clean...now that was fun, not. Don't know if it is still recommended to do that as this was quite some years ago.

Agree it would be better to do it when it is a bit warmer but before the flies start.