PDA

View Full Version : 6 weeks on..quick update & Pictures!

holeswagon
19-07-11, 06:02 PM
So I have not seen Cyberhorse for quite a few weeks now, I've been so busy with work, so I thought I should update you on the new Friesian x Thoroughbred!

This is Tora today (19.7.11), just 6 weeks after I got him, not a huge difference..as expected at only 6 weeks on but I think he's improving!

What do you think?
http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv353/holeswagon_2009/utf-8BSU1HMDMyOTYtMjAxMTA3MTktMTYyMC5qcGc.jpg
http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv353/holeswagon_2009/utf-8BSU1HMDMyOTUtMjAxMTA3MTktMTYxOC5qcGc.jpg
And as always, my Miss Esther is wonderful :D

Oh and he is a hair monster! He's not been winter rugged :p

Autumn
19-07-11, 06:08 PM
This is my kind of horses, a sturdy, substantial beast!!! What a handsome lad.

holeswagon
19-07-11, 06:45 PM
He is a bit handsome isn't he :D

Not a great photo, but here is his trot, we need to build some top line!
http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv353/holeswagon_2009/utf-8BSU1HMDMyMzQtMjAxMTA3MTEtMTE0NS5qcGc.jpg

gdh
19-07-11, 06:49 PM
He seems to have tiny little yearling type feet.............optical illusion? Looks a nice, safe conveyance for those of us getting on a bit :D

holeswagon
19-07-11, 06:53 PM
He has huge feet, but they are 'short' and he gets that from the Friesian side of things :)

Shads
19-07-11, 06:54 PM
Looks to be a quiet boy.... where did he come from????

holeswagon
19-07-11, 07:02 PM
He is quiet :)

He came from Jimboomba, just a private sale

mindari
19-07-11, 07:42 PM
looks like a good cross. like his style. expect he will look awesome come summer

opensky
19-07-11, 07:48 PM
He looks a nice boy, holeswagon. What's his age? Have you been on him at all? Rgds

holeswagon
19-07-11, 08:00 PM
He is 8yo, and I haven't been on him since taking him home, because I wanted to put some weight on him first :)

Harriette
19-07-11, 08:14 PM
its a giant pony!
I like ponies

Charlypops
19-07-11, 09:01 PM
I think he looks like a real sweetie. I was surprised to read he was eight. When I first looked at the photos, I thought, 'aww look at the sweet old guy', he has the look of a distinguised old man I thought.

cbrown
20-07-11, 08:22 AM
He looks plumper that's for sure! I reckon he will look a rounder and younger with a few more kg's (he has got the bone structure for a fair bit of condition) and some serious flatwork.

Well done on your effort so far! Now hop on and ride him and tell us what he's like :)

Centaur
20-07-11, 08:25 AM
is the 'Freisian X TB' a fact or an educated guess (i.e did the previous owners breed himor are there any papers, do you know his parents etc) ?

Montego
20-07-11, 09:10 AM
FFS, Centaur, who gives a shi1 ?

He is doing well, she is doing well with him, what are you looking for? A DandJ lookalike? He's grey, in case you didn't notice. He has some heavy horse in him going by his wooliness and his head. He looks dependable and will be a great horse.

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything.

cbz
20-07-11, 09:16 AM
I can't see how Centaur's question is 'not saying something nice', Montego.

She simply asked about his breeding. There was nothing derogatory in the question. We always ask questions about breeding (especially in cases like this where it's not immediately obvious by looking).

Centaur
20-07-11, 09:17 AM
Pull your head in Montego. It was a genuine, curious question. Nothing loaded, no agenda, and no malice intended.
As you cannot hear a 'tone' in the written word it is often best not to assume or judge from your own standards. :rolleyes:

Thanks cbz...exactly!

k8
20-07-11, 09:18 AM
He'll be a ripper when he weights up a little... very sweet ...

Montego
20-07-11, 09:24 AM
Pull your head in Montego. It was a genuine, curious question. Nothing loaded, no agenda, and no malice intended.
As you cannot hear a 'tone' in the written word it is often best not to assume or judge from your own standards. :rolleyes:

Thanks cbz...exactly!

No, I am very confident that the thread was going to head into haughty explanations of your superiority Centaur. I suspect it won't now, so I was being my usual helpful self.

Centaur
20-07-11, 09:38 AM
Really? Well I'm glad it's made you feel good about yourself and your powers of judgement Montego.

People on this forum are so quick to jump down people throats aren't they! *sigh*

HW, if you'd care to share your horse's info that would be nice, if not I understand but I promise I wasn't about to sneer or deride, it was just sheer curiosity.

carbon
20-07-11, 10:15 AM
I was thinking the same thing. I donít know much about breeding crossbreeds but I was wondering if his breed was an educated guess or not. I really like knowing the ins and outs of horses so for me I was looking at him thinking yep there is heavy horse there. For some reason (and shoot me for thinking this) I thought is grey a colour you could expect from that kind of cross. It probably is because I know zero about colour or genetics. No matter what he does look like a giant pony a look I rather like. If Holeswagon wants to let us know then I would be happy to hear any details about him. If she has any of the original pics too that would be nice to compare them side by side (no pressure). He is really cute and has a kind eye Ė the kind where you can tell he will look after his rider and be a good type especially with flat work. Holeswagon how thoughtful of you to give him time to get some weight on before you ride him.

holeswagon
20-07-11, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the replys :) I appreciate them all!

He is a Friesian x Tb is a fact, A fellow CHer has messaged me about him, and so now I have some background info on him (still in progress) I know he is registered, fact from CHer (you can say who you are if you like:) ) they are finding out more information for me :)

A good jumper I have been told from previous owners and now a fellow CHer, and that's GREAT because this is what I was hoping to excel in with him :)

Ill get previous photos after I finish work today

Djangoandjacana
20-07-11, 10:43 AM
I get people contacting me all the time because they have bought a horse they were told was a Friesian cross but which had no papers. Usually they either want to be able to show the horse or just trying track down part of its history.

There is one guy who has two he rescued from the sales yards. He adores them and is doing lots with them but has no intention to show. But he wants to know their history so much he he going round getting the older Friesians DNA tested to see if he can find a match.

So I didn't see ant issue with the question.

From the tone of this thread I am assuming he is a bit of a rescue? On which case I assume HW bought him because she liked him and is turning him into a great horse for herself and the parentage is just a label, she isn't going to throw him back if he is only 25% Fr or 25% Tb or even none of either.

Ah ok, so there you go he does have a known history ;)

Shads
20-07-11, 11:20 AM
At the end of the day, he is being well looked after and loved and we get to share with them the joys of being a horse owner.
He is certainly a big horse which is a proven jumper and this is what the OP is wanting him for...

Look forward to hearing about your stories together....

Charlypops
20-07-11, 11:34 AM
is the 'Freisian X TB' a fact or an educated guess (i.e did the previous owners breed himor are there any papers, do you know his parents etc) ?

I to thought Centaurs question was legit and of interest. Only because this guy is a spitting image conformationally as my mare who is Percheron X TB X clydie.

windsweptfarm
20-07-11, 11:45 AM
I get people contacting me all the time because they have bought a horse they were told was a Friesian cross but which had no papers. Usually they either want to be able to show the horse or just trying track down part of its history.

I would be one of them xD. And have given up on my girl's history now LOL.

He looks like a lovely boy holeswagon :)

holeswagon
20-07-11, 12:49 PM
I too thought he could have been percheron or friesian but certain features like his feet, head and his movement all say friesian.

But the breeding does not make a difference to why I bought him, I saw him, loved him regardless of his condition at the time and took him home :) now he has 3 2 acre paddocks to share with Esther and gets fed every day :)

holeswagon
23-07-11, 09:33 AM
These were both from the day I got him, not great quality but you can still see the difference!
http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv353/holeswagon_2009/utf-8BSU1HMDI5NjEtMjAxMTA2MDUtMTY0Mi5qcGc.jpg
http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv353/holeswagon_2009/utf-8BSU1HMDI5ODctMjAxMTA2MDYtMTA1NS5qcGc.jpg

Djangoandjacana
23-07-11, 09:47 AM
Big improvement from that but boy he is going to be a chunky monkey when he is muscled up and bursting with health.

Charlypops
23-07-11, 09:56 AM
I agree what a fantastic job you are doing, he is looking fantastic.

I also agree he is going to be an absolute tank, are you sure there is not a bit of draft in there :)?

holeswagon
23-07-11, 10:01 AM
Thanks! He is looking happier in his attitude and healthier in his movement!

So, an old owner of him gave me some info on him, apparently he's a registered Percheron x Warmblood .
Breeding doesn't concern me though, I rode him bareback on a good note yesterday, he held himself really well and was very patient, even know he's been said to be very hot under saddle, I think getting to know him well on the ground and getting trust is helping :)

Djangoandjacana
23-07-11, 10:16 AM
That makes sense because he does not really look Friesian cross to me (they don't tend to be that heavy boned crossed with TB), but there is really no such thing as a typical Friesian cross due the large variety of crosses people have made so if that what his papers said who was I to disagree.

At the show last weekend (I don't have a picture unfortunately) there was a Friesian x Shetland. It is registered as a Friesian Warmblood. People also cross them over Clydesdales. These are also registered Friesian Warmblood. You can imagine the two crosses would not look in the slightest alike.

Good job with him, you are going to have a ball and who cares what the label is.

Centaur
23-07-11, 11:26 AM
He is looking a whole lot better, well done.
Looks like he was suffering from Queensland itch too when you got him? Always makes them look ten times worse doesn't it?
It's going to be great to see his transformation. Best of luck.

Shads
23-07-11, 12:09 PM
So glad that he is being loved and cared for. He is such a darling.... It is a shame that so many horses are sold without knowing anything about them, luckily you have found out some true information on him.

I look forward to seeing you progress with him :D

holeswagon
23-07-11, 05:04 PM
Yeah he did have a bit of itch when I got him, it has cleared up now though, so that's one more improvement we made :D

I officially had a 30 minute ride on him today, He was a good boy, not nasty, but forward moving, and you can definitely tell he's a jumper..point him at something that looks like it can be jumped and he gets ready for it..but none of that today!

Just kept him at a relaxed walk, to show him he doesn't have to run and jump everything, and he enjoyed it I think. We practiced halts, my favorite thing for a horse to know! And he was perfect a few rounds later.

I'm very pleased with him!

flight
23-07-11, 07:31 PM
I was curious too of his breeding, only because I've never seen a grey friesian cross!
Whatever he is, looks like he's landed a good home with you :)