PDA

View Full Version : Looking into the bloodlines of a horse

Jane_1
12-08-11, 07:04 PM
What sites do people use to look up horses in a horses pedigree? I 'know' sire and dam and the sires of each, but once we get beyond that I am fairly clueless past googling the name. My horse is KWPN breeding and I'd like to know if he has jumping lines as well as dressage.

Djangoandjacana
12-08-11, 07:11 PM
You can try allbreeds pedigree but it is a bit like wikipedia. Subject to inaccuracy

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/carbid

Jane_1
12-08-11, 07:18 PM
Thanks Django. Wow, this is really a way to kill time isn't it? Fun though!

Bats_79
12-08-11, 07:23 PM
This one is much more accurate because it is harder to alter pedigrees. It is also smaller.

http://www.sporthorse-data.com/

Djangoandjacana
12-08-11, 08:59 PM
That's a keeper. Thanks Bats

Jane_1
13-08-11, 04:34 PM
Thanks Bats :-) I'm excited to find that there are some great horses in my boys background and also that he has a fair bit of jumping blood. :)

StElmosFire
13-08-11, 06:13 PM
Ours are all purebred Arabians, so we just go to the AHSA website, and look up the online stud book.

Bats_79
13-08-11, 08:48 PM
What's his pedigree (in general terms) Jane_1

Jane_1
13-08-11, 09:20 PM
I'm not sure of the right way to describe it - I really don't know that much about breeding. The mares sire has Variant on the sire side and Ramiro Z on the mares side. The mares dam was TB with Hyperion twice in her background and Nasrullah too. On the sires side there is Ulft, Bolero and one of the mares was a jumping mare - Libelle. I haven't been able to find much info apart from pedigree on the TBs or some of the mares.

I've never been much concerned with his pedigree - I bought him for his temperament, which is excellent. The further I look into it though the more I read that his ancestors also had great temperaments. :) I'm mainly dressagey but want to do some jumping as well. He seemed initially to go "what? Jumping? Don't you know I'm a dressage horse?" but now is really enjoying it and I thought it would be fun to see what's in his background. :)