PDA

View Full Version : Ekka 2011...It's our new 'four-letter word!

2006eabbott
20-08-11, 10:40 PM
So yesterday I went to the Ekka for the first time ever!! I competed in the Standie classes...

Here we are:

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff152/2006eabbott/DSCF7737.jpg

Getting a 3rd in the Led Mare:

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff152/2006eabbott/DSCF7753.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff152/2006eabbott/DSCF7749.jpg

Had a pretty good time...have to say I have been to better organised shows though :( We got there at 6.00am, it was 8.10am before we managed to get the horses unloaded (MAJOR parking and traffic SNAFU's), had to park the float fifty blocks from the grounds and PAY for the privilege), queue at three different windows to get numbers, stables and health dec's...and that's just the start of it!!

All in all a good day!!!

Luca
20-08-11, 11:02 PM
Very nice work! She looks great. A 3rd at a royal is awesome.

Caille
20-08-11, 11:03 PM
Congratulations! She's just beautiful! :D

acaciaalba
20-08-11, 11:04 PM
well done !! congratulations ! any place at a Royal is awesome !!
and to add the drama of getting into the ring ,,,thats even better !!
well done !!!
Ekka is a bit hap hazard isnt it ??

NikJ
20-08-11, 11:09 PM
Seems to be luck of the draw in regards to getting in/stable allocation etc. Was talking to a fellow on Sunday who said it was the easiest he had ever had it due to the lower numbers.

And sadly you can see how they can charge that for parking as its premium and getting less and less each year. I dont know what we will ever do if we go as I think the only option is to get dropped off.

Did you do the ridden?

2006eabbott
21-08-11, 12:13 AM
Thanks for all the compliments guys...Jedda is very much 'Mummy's Princess' as you can see - she is spoilt rotten!!

I never intended to show over winter, so had let her get furry - usually our first show is Lismore Nationals in October :) Then the SAQ put out a call for as many Standies to come as possible as the RNA were considering canning the Standie classes due to dwindling entries...and so on went the rugs!! Lucky she doesn't get too hairy, but it is still more coat than I like!!

Considering the two year battle I have had to get her sound with bodywork and corrective trimming...I was exceptionally pleased with our results!! We ended up with the 3rd in the Led and a 7th in Best Presented. The judge was fabulous and very thorough - he had a kind word for everyone, and sashed all the way to 10th in Best Presented so everyone got a ribbon!! He really liked my mare but she is still ever so slightly unlevel at the trot so placed down - he even apologised for it too, and told me that I had made it hard for him!! I didn't care whether or not I even got a ribbon - and told the judge that - just being there with my baby girl was amazing, and the culmination of a lot of heartache and struggle!

I had entered another horse for the ridden,which I subsequently leased out, and was told over the phone that I could substitute Jedda for my other mare as I had paid for the entry, however when I got there wasn't allowed to, so it was a hell of a driver for two Led classes!! The little girl was very tired though so I didn't really mind...

On our way back to the stalls Jedda decided she wanted to chat to a few 'little people' and before I knew it she had a four deep crowd all wanting pats and photo's!! She, being a 'camera tart' obliged and amused herself for fifteen minutes trying to steal little kids showbags and hot chips!! I had quite a few people ask me if she was a Friesian though!!

I don't know if I will do it again - the lack of organisation tested our patience, but it was a fabulous experience that's for sure!!

reveleus
21-08-11, 07:34 AM
Very cool. She is presented beautifully and you must be so proud. Well done :)

Muzziet
21-08-11, 08:01 AM
Congratulations, looking good. When the "retrosective" sets in you will be so glad you went through the hassle :)

She looks like my anglo mare in the 2nd photo.

How dry is the ground?

Mystery~Bay
21-08-11, 08:49 AM
She is gorgeous, well done and also for getting out there and representing the breed for your association. That disorganisation would have done my head in though, especially where you had to park!

opensky
21-08-11, 09:40 AM
Congrats abbot - very exciting to get out and pick up a little satiny 'reward' for your efforts. She looks great! Your smile says it all. Good on you for supporting the breed classes, 'cos when people don't, they go. (Any breed, but esp think Standie classes are worth supporting with their industry 'wastage' numbers). So, well done. Rgds

rmjens
21-08-11, 10:45 AM
Good on you abbott! What a trooper you were to heed the call for the Standies and to have such a great result.