PDA

View Full Version : Making rissoles hold their shape and stay together

... Taff
22-10-11, 06:11 PM
How do you do it?

I am about to make rissoles. I am tired of them falling apart at the seams and turning into something that are not rissoles.

Also, how do you make them taste really good like real rissoles? Like the ones I used to buy yeeeears ago in a fish and chip shop? Great big huge things with slightly blackened sides. Hmm... they are coming back to me. They had this great flavour from some green herb you could see throughout. I thought at the time that it might be oregano so I put oregano in everything after that, but it didn't work.

I need advice from a rissole expert.

Scarlet81
22-10-11, 06:17 PM
My fail safe, always yum recipe is 1/2 beef, 1/2 lamb or pork mince, egg, grated carrot, onion, Italian herbs, pizza topper herbs, BBQ & Tomato sauce, breadcrumbs, all mixed together by hand, leave to sit in fridge for 30 min to overnight depending, shape & lightly sprinkle with flour the grill/fry.....best if meat is not straight from fridge, never fall apart & are great in burgers or on their own :) also, only turn them once if at all possible!

Scarlet81
22-10-11, 06:18 PM
And finely diced capsicum!! Forgot that, makes it slightly seer and oh so yum!

Speckled Potato
22-10-11, 06:23 PM
There must be egg and breadcrumbs included.

vixen
22-10-11, 06:23 PM
Add an egg,make ito patties and chill in the fridge for a couple of hours before cooking.

Garryngirl
22-10-11, 06:25 PM
Use egg to help bind, breadcrumbs, whatever herbs/spices that takes your fancy. I put nutmeg or curry powder in mine with a bit of bacon (no onion as I detest onion). Roll in breadcrumbs and cook. Mine have not fallen apart.

I also make a gravy and allow them to finish cooking on a low simmer in the gravy.

cyrus
22-10-11, 06:42 PM
An egg holds mine together also. Then ad what you like :)

Montego
22-10-11, 06:44 PM
I think this is the best thread of the year! Who needs dressage argument?

And Taff, pssst, get Hamburger Helper at woolies/safeway.

Harriette
22-10-11, 06:44 PM
mine used to fall to pieces too, mmmm crumbly mince

till a friend said make your mix way sloppier than you 'think' you need.

I used to make them in a nice firm consistency, go for a bit more sloosh. too much sloosh and they become meatloaf in the bottom of the pan.

but you want meatloaf texture when they are cooked, so more slop I say! (which is where the chilling comes in)

ouch25
22-10-11, 06:47 PM
1 egg and 1/2 to 1 cup of breadcrumbs added to mince and don't make the mixture too dry

Harriette
22-10-11, 06:49 PM
PS the green stuff? parsley
and add grated carrot and fine chopped onion. yummo

skymare
22-10-11, 07:12 PM
how to make mince stick is old school stuff. breadcrumbs and egg make a nice glue. egg is always used as a glue. it's why they are used in cakes.

frogfriday
22-10-11, 07:33 PM
Maybe your mince is too lean. Yes! The Evil King Fat, which carries much flavour and juiciness, is a Good Thing in cooking.

Too much meat is too lean nowadays for really good flavour... like nom nom nom stews and burgers and sausages.

So, you could try asking your butcher to mince you a bit of meat with a higher fat % than they normally do. You just have to remember to ask them.

Egg and breadcrumbs help, but in my opinion, only so far. And if you get the right % fat, you can even get away with no egg and breadcrumbs... C-RAZY! But I like egg and bread crumbs, so you don't need to get too carried away.

I like to put grated apple in with herbs and garlic and mustard and salt and pepper and nutmeg and stuff.

And, if you feel like it, you can make GIANT RISSOLES, and whack 'em in the oven to cook.

horsesRgr8
22-10-11, 07:34 PM
A tip from a chinese friend...... sticky rice flour....

Nicko
22-10-11, 07:39 PM
Mix them, mix them some more and mix them again for good luck it gets the protein to bind. But egg is easier.

Norbit
22-10-11, 08:09 PM
When I used to eat meat, I used to use about 1/2 kg of gourmet mince, and season with roast vegetable seasoning I think it was...mix, roll into balls and into the fry pan...I never used breadcrumbs and they seemed to hold fine. I made them for dinner for the fam once and mum makes them all the time now and uses breadcrumbs with an egg I think to bind them, but I never had problems anyway.

Very simple and found them yummy...am very picky and don't eat onion (I hate the crunchiness mainly, lol!) but mum makes them with caramelised onion mixed through them and smells divine, even as a vegetarian!!:p

skymare
22-10-11, 08:43 PM
yeah i've never used vegetable seasoning or lots of fat. eggs and/or breadcrumbs are fine. .....tell me why is it a competition? why do ppl have to say i dont' do that, i do this, you don't need to do that cause this is fine. blah blah blah. just say this is what i do and don't put down what other people do. it's so tiring putting up with egos esp on something so small as bloody rissoles.

Bats_79
22-10-11, 08:48 PM
Have you considered side reins?

horsesRgr8
22-10-11, 08:51 PM

Ha ha ha....... clever! :D

Harriette
22-10-11, 08:57 PM
a pessoa??

Norbit
22-10-11, 08:58 PM
yeah i've never used vegetable seasoning or lots of fat. eggs and/or breadcrumbs are fine. .....tell me why is it a competition? why do ppl have to say i dont' do that, i do this, you don't need to do that cause this is fine. blah blah blah. just say this is what i do and don't put down what other people do. it's so tiring putting up with egos esp on something so small as bloody rissoles.

Is this directed at me?:eek: I might not have a way with words, or at least over a keyboard unintentionally, but I do not have an ego problem.:rolleyes:

Dragoness
22-10-11, 09:03 PM
I didnt get it either Norbit.... No idea what that little rant was about!!!!
Everyone does things different, a heap fo different people have stated how they did thing, I didnt read anywhere anyone saying someone elses way was wrong....

Cheers

StElmosFire
22-10-11, 09:09 PM
What on earth is Hamburger Helper? It sounds suspiciously processed and packetty to me!:confused: (Ooops, maybe I'm showing my age!)

I agree with the previous posters: adding an egg (or more, if you're making a large quantity) and also fresh breadcrumbs. That's done by getting a couple of slices of bread and pulling all the middle (inside the crust) out and crumbling it into little pieces. I think leaving the formed rissoles to sit in the fridge for a min. half hour or so before cooking also helps them to "settle". A bit like pastry.

Onions are usually best pre-cooked for things like this - dice them up small, and cook gently till they start to colour, or even better, to caramelise. Mmmmm!

I've tried baking rissoles in muffin tins too, and they turned out quite well. The tins need to be non-stick, and well greased though, or the rissoles stick. And crumble!

dragonlady
22-10-11, 09:40 PM
i HATE rissoles !

Fi Fi
22-10-11, 10:32 PM
You need to study the method of the cook in the great Australian movie "Sunday Too Far Away"!!!

bellette
22-10-11, 10:59 PM
One or two eggs for glue. Fresh thyme and oregano for the herb fragrance and a bit of herb breadcrumb stuffing for bulk.:)

acaciaalba
23-10-11, 12:10 AM
OK,, so now we have this great mixture.
do you fry them in a hot pan ? or slow cook in the oven ?
how do you stop the great juices running out and burning on the base of the pan ??
i have a great mix,,,,similar to most mentioned here,,,,but half of it runs out and burns on the bottom of the pan ! and the rissoles end up dry !
solution please ?

mindari
23-10-11, 12:16 AM
I think this is the best thread of the year! Who needs dressage argument?

And Taff, pssst, get Hamburger Helper at woolies/safeway.

ummm yep trying to rollcur an egg :p

the mind boggles :eek:

mindari
23-10-11, 12:23 AM
how do you stop the great juices running out and burning on the base of the pan ??
i have a great mix,,,,similar to most mentioned here,,,,but half of it runs out and burns on the bottom of the pan ! and the rissoles end up dry !
solution please ?

ive taken to sort of cheating. stepson told me about this u beaut diamond dust lined frypan he bought...soooo waited for the sale and nabbed two. one deep and one normal.

they have these u beaut lids and when whatevers cooking is almost or 3/4 done. turn off the heat, slap on the lid and let the contained heat finish the job....nnnnnn double juicy...sighyummmmmmmmmmmm

n im a parsley junki some freshly chopped at the last minute..bliss

mokey
23-10-11, 03:51 AM
. it's so tiring putting up with egos esp on something so small as bloody rissoles.

Oh, the irony!

Handful of parmesean cheese adds an italian flavour, if you're partial, and helps with the binding. Sticks a bit on cooking unless you use non-stick though.

Norbit
23-10-11, 06:48 AM
Oh, the irony!

That's what I was thinking. Well actually, I was thinking LLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLL. But I decided to give benefit of the doubt, but I can't see where either, Dragoness!!

Garryngirl
23-10-11, 07:57 AM
Is this directed at me?:eek: I might not have a way with words, or at least over a keyboard unintentionally, but I do not have an ego problem.:rolleyes:

No it is aimed at me because clearly I have a bigger ego than you or don't you do egos Norbit? :p:D My rissoles are perfect 20m circles.

Garryngirl
23-10-11, 07:59 AM

Quote of the month Bat_79, spat my breakfast out, too funny.

treacle
23-10-11, 08:30 AM
use a muffin tin

http://www.recipetips.com/images/glossary/m/muffin_tin.jpg

(mine really are perfect :P)

Harriette
23-10-11, 01:49 PM
I have never even heard of baking rissoles
I think I will try the muffin tin thing
I even have mince in the fridge:rolleyes:

what temp for the oven?

MissMagnum
23-10-11, 02:33 PM
PS the green stuff? parsley
and add grated carrot and fine chopped onion. yummo

Parsley? I would have said fresh thyme.
Gives that subtle flavour.

MissMagnum
23-10-11, 02:43 PM
solution please ?

Don't waste this! This is the stuff great gravies are made of! Remove the rissoles just before they are cooked all the way thro. Put them on a plate, covered lightly with foil (they will continue to cook thro residual heat, and stay moist). With all the burnt, crusty bits, pour about half a cup of (good) red wine over it, and simmer til about half reduced. Then add about 2 cups water (beef stock is better) and reduce by half. Strain thro a fine seive, and you will have a yummy jus (gravy)!!!!

acaciaalba
23-10-11, 02:45 PM
harry, i tried the frying pan but all the juices seemed to run out and cook on the pan. so i tried putting them on a greased flat tray and doing them in the oven, but the same thing happened, so dont even bother thinking about it !
i must try the muffin tray idea next time . will do some this week.
i guess the temp is at your discretion ??

cobie
23-10-11, 03:55 PM
French Onion soup mix also works great as a binder and for adding flavour :)

... Taff
23-10-11, 06:02 PM
So, I have one giant rissole 20m in diameter which I placed into the fridge overnight. (Not easy, especially when rushing due to the eminent appearance of Doc Martin.)

I have recently carefully extracted said rissole from the fridge and buckled on the side reins (NO RUBBER INSERTS). They are of even length.

Omitted eggs, flour and breadcrumbs to see if the fridge and the side reins will do the trick.

I feel confident.

But then I always do just before disaster strikes.

StElmosFire
23-10-11, 08:23 PM
Oh Taff, you're what used to be called "a caution"!! Very droll! :D
From another household of Doc Martin fans, hope the rissole worked!

gasbuster
24-10-11, 08:58 AM
Mince (40%), breadcrumbs & egg (10 %). onion, zuchinni, carrot, cheese, garlic, thyme, oregano- make up the rest.

Hot frypan, make 10 cm circles, squashed to no more than 2cm thick, only turn once.

YUM.....

wild_spot
24-10-11, 10:42 AM
French Onion soup mix also works great as a binder and for adding flavour :)

This is what I do! I need gluten free - So mince, two eggs, some onion, and french onion soup mix. Roll in flour and fry in pan. Delicious!