PDA

View Full Version : Instructor

Montego
16-12-11, 07:03 PM
I have lost my loved instructor. For reasons only she knows, she is cutting back. I seem to be one of the ones she is cutting back. :(

So now I am in the market for a new instructor. It is major change management for me. (the instructor bred, broke in and trained to Prelim my current horse). I live in a district that has more instructors per square metre than most areas of Australia.

So how do I find a new one. I thought Budget was my first consideration, but on reflection it isn't really. I am old, tired, a very ordinary rider, and still muddling around in the very lowest levels of dressage. But what I lack in skill I have in abundance a need to learn and I am a a sponge for Improvement. I am crooked and have poor coordination, but I have always been told that I am a great student because I listen and TRY. My first consideration then is what? A sympathetic ear? Classical (P. K. etc. style) ? My ex-instructor's instruction relied very heavily on classical principles.

I think I mostly need sympathy. I am a bit down!

Red Dun
16-12-11, 07:08 PM
Sorry to hear Montego. There's some things we don't like change with, and someone we trust with both ourselves and our horses make it even harder.

Can you ask her who she recommend you use? Given she bred and trained your horse then she would likely know who would best suit you both.

Hugs.

mel22
16-12-11, 07:10 PM
ahh i had the same a couple of months ago as the place i initially was at lost their only school horse into semi retirement... just keep looking.... i was quite upset when i could not go back to my first place however quite enjoying the new place now...

hopefully you will find a very nice place similar to the old one.

cyrus
16-12-11, 07:57 PM
They say change is as good as a holiday, embrace the change and look forward to the new ways that may help you.

Try a few teachers, and see who suits you best, you do the paying- so make sure they are what you enjoy.

I agree with asking your teacher who they recommend as well.

What area are you in?

Anubis
16-12-11, 08:14 PM
Try Larissa Chadwick. Not sure if she does Southern Highlands but I love her to death

Mystery~Bay
16-12-11, 08:26 PM
Oh I'm sorry to hear that, is that the one you told me about? I recently lost my instructor and subsequently my mojo and motivation. PM me if you like and I'll fill you in on my experiences since then

cobie
16-12-11, 08:34 PM
Bugger Montego :(

I've been having lessons with Danielle Govier for the past year and I'm thrilled with her. She's based in Moss Vale and travels to me for lessons in Burradoo, or I can use the arena at her place. She has much better prices than most other Highlands instructors, without compromising on knowledge or teaching ability. PM me if you'd like any more details.

Montego
16-12-11, 10:00 PM
Thanks guys, much appreciated. Red Dun, I will ask her who she would recommend, because I liked her style. In a couple of weeks though, at the mo I am too grumpy and I don't think I could do it with much grace.

Yes, MB its the one I recommended. Good to hear that you're making progress now. And thanks Cobie, I know and like Danielle. Anubis, Larissa is a great suggestion, I am not sure if she teaches up here these days.

PMs coming to a couple of people after this.

chipsy1
16-12-11, 10:11 PM
Changing instructors once in a while is good. You will learn new things and improve :)

Littlelamb
17-12-11, 06:07 AM
I agree Chipsy1. I think you will find most instructors have no problem with you having a lesson with someone else occasionally. We can usually learn something from any lesson.
I get frustrated with people who won't even try a lesson with a visiting instructor because they might hurt the feelings of the regular one. I believe most instructors would encourage us spreading our wings and having a one-off lesson.

pauper
17-12-11, 09:07 AM
Hugs Montego.
when i lost one of my Instructors i thought no one could ever teach me like they did. they broke everything down so it made perfect sense instead of the "bump bump" that i found some instructors liked to use.

I did end up finding someone who teaches very similar (they even understand my sense of humour and way of "going off with the fairies" which is a big plus :D )

when you feel ready to start searching for a new instructor ask friends who you they use and if you can sit in on a lesson. its no good getting a instructor who can get people to GP level if they cant explain things in a way us everyday riders understand.
good luck with your search.
cheers Pauper