PDA

View Full Version : N/H What's everyone's plans for Christmas??

cocomist
20-12-11, 09:16 PM
Well it's that time of year again ... and I was just wondering what everyone will be up to over the festive season.

I'm going to be flat out.

I have all my sisters and their families arriving either Christmas eve or Christmas day, plus my parents, a few friends and aunts, uncles etc for Christmas dinner.

Probably going to have 15 bodies staying and then about 22 - 25 for Christmas dinner.

So I expect lot's of mayhem and chaos plus lots of good fun and good food .... I hope everyone here has a wonderful Christmas as well :D

LindaH
20-12-11, 09:42 PM
We were having a quiet Christmas at home, than my Mum had an accident and broke her leg. So we'll be going on a 5 hour drive, doing her Christmas shopping for her, getting all the food organised, cooking etc at her place. Might try and fit in a few visits to the beach while we're there too :D.

cyrus
20-12-11, 09:46 PM
Its my turn to have my brothers and their kids at our place :)

and the place is a mess, and no matter which way I look, the other half keeps adding to the pile ( he is retiring and no more work for him- til I drive him out to work again making him cook and clean and and.... but he keeps bringing in box after box.
then the male child decided he needs something to do so he decided to paint the hallway- hopefully it will be finished- as its a better mess than out the back area.
Regardless- we will have a garage full of mess- and no one can go out that door :)

kait21
20-12-11, 09:51 PM
Ahh xmas. So soon unfortunately! I am trying to do less this year as the last 2 years I have done at least 3 or 4 different things on xmas day with hours of driving and heaps of stress!

This year I have to work 6 hours on xmas eve and boxing day, so I'm trying to take it a bit easier on the actual day! I am doing xmas breakfast and unwrapping presents with my bf in the morning. Heading off to his families xmas lunch at 11am, and then in the evening his fathers family are doing something but I might just come home and relax by myself!

Then sometime in the following week I have to find a spare day or 2 to go and do xmas with my parents!

Winmara
20-12-11, 10:17 PM
This will be our first Christmas in NSW, it will be very quiet without my daughters but I still plan on having a wonderful day with hubby and our 9yr old son at home. Friends are coming over in the afternoon for a BBQ, I really look forward to that too. I wish you all a very happy Christmas :)

cocomist
20-12-11, 10:19 PM
Its my turn to have my brothers and their kids at our place :)

and the place is a mess, and no matter which way I look, the other half keeps adding to the pile ( he is retiring and no more work for him- til I drive him out to work again making him cook and clean and and.... but he keeps bringing in box after box.
then the male child decided he needs something to do so he decided to paint the hallway- hopefully it will be finished- as its a better mess than out the back area.
Regardless- we will have a garage full of mess- and no one can go out that door :)

Oh my .... that sounds EXACTLY like our place at the moment!

My parents have decided that there are 101 things that just HAVE to be done around the house before the rest of the gang arrive .... and we haven't even started cooking yet, ....... because Dad decided that we just HAD to have some more shelves in the kitchen if everyone was coming!!!

LOL!

Mum and I have given him til tomorrow lunch time to get them finished and the tools off the kitchen bench! :D :D

Nicko
20-12-11, 10:40 PM
I'll probably run riot with my nieces, I've bought them water pistols and nerf guns for christmas. Apart from that, I am staying well away from the maniacs on the road.

shaiarabs
20-12-11, 11:23 PM
I have told my family I cannot go this year.. I have a horse with laminitis, and a teenage boy that doesn't deserve Christmas...I will be with friends on the day but otherwise, there is no travel or stress added by worrying about the trip this year..

missys-girl
20-12-11, 11:51 PM
I have everyone coming to my place and am doing the cooking, i am starting my gingerbread house, right now actually haha, yes i do things at odd times, i am not using a kit one though doing it from scratch.....mum is a notorious over cooker, she doesn't think i can cook the turkey, chickens and duck, before lunch, i told her that things in my place are fast, besides, i cooked a chicken, from frozen, to cooked, in 45 minutes the other night, she said you cant have!!!, it is impossible, i said mum, i do know when a chicken is cooked,and considering i was the one that ate it, i didn't see anything raw, no blood, nothing, even now, she doesn't believe the chook was cooked (like i am going to eat a raw chicken :confused:), she does this EVERY time i cook meat of any kind, because it cant have POSSIBLY cooked that fast, and INSISTS i leave it in for at least another half an hour, if she knows when i am taking something out....yes, yes it does bug the shit out of me.....no i dont like breaking my teeth on meat, it does seem natural :p

1st foal
21-12-11, 12:41 AM
Catching up with everything I've missed on CH for the past month! Don't suppose anyone wants to give me the Readers Digest version? :D

Heading home to Bris (arrive at 0600 on Christmas Eve ... as long as this mooted cyclone goes away!:() to spend a wonderful Christmas with my family and do some "horse maintenance" on Grav, Jazz and Dynamite!

rmjens
21-12-11, 03:56 AM
I'll be in the Bavarian Alps.

Prost!

moosh
21-12-11, 06:20 AM
Rmjens that is just cruel boasting :D I wish I was in the Bavarian Alps, actually anywhere else would be less chaotic than here!!

I am off to my brother & SIL's place in the morning for breakie with Dad's side which should be fun as I love seeing how excited all the kids get about their presents. 2.5yr old nephews x3, nieces 5yrs & 3yrs. So they make the morning fun. Then home to cook the roast veges for mum as she has no room left in the oven, decorate the pav i will make on Xmas eve & head to mums for Xmas Italian style :)

We have family here for their 1st Aussie trip from Austria so we have lunch at my mum's with them. Mum has gone into cooking & cleaning overdrive, which is abit of a hassle as they are also in the middle of adding a 3br extension to their house!! I have my fingers crossed my stepdad's parents don't cause an argument like last time mum had Xmas at her place. Ahhh never a dull Christmas moment here:)

The afternoon I plan to spend relaxing at home alone. I have a feeling I will be exhausted by then & need a Nanna nap :D

miss poss
21-12-11, 10:24 AM
At present...nothing. Spending part of the day with dogs and cats; the other in the paddock with ponies. Might go see best mate of 30+ years and her family for a while.

Will buy some Crissy presents for me after Christmas in the sales. :)

treacle
21-12-11, 10:36 AM
christ, he must be pretty nordy shai : /

nostalgiaplatz
21-12-11, 12:44 PM
Going to the pub with friends on Christmas Eve, then spending Christmas morning with the critters (who have already gotten their presents - 5kg bag of carrots and a new fly veil with leopard print fluffy edges for Pluto, and big bag of Schmackos and a haircut for Bridey).

Then hightailing it up to the Bunya Mountains for Christmas with my dad's side of the family. Soooo... plenty of country music and heavy liquor. I imagine I'll spend most of my time avoiding babies and discussion of babies. If I have to leave my dog at home when I go to a national park, I can't see why my cousins are allowed to take their young children who are TEN TIMES as badly behaved. :mad:

shaiarabs
21-12-11, 02:19 PM
christ, he must be pretty nordy shai : /

yep he sure has been, I wont go on about it here as this is a happy celebration post..

midlifer
21-12-11, 02:31 PM
Am giving the cook in the kitchen at work the day off and cooking/serving lunch for 45 people. Then coming home for nanna nap before going to parents for tea.

treacle
21-12-11, 02:37 PM
pressies in the morning and breakfast with the fam, then to "work" until after lunchtime, then rendezvous with family at family friends house for arvo tea/dinner/swim/pool party/inebriation

Littlelamb
21-12-11, 03:07 PM
Christmas Day will be spent at our place. Lunch with our family except our eldest son who is a paramedic and working. DIL and 2 littlies are coming down from Sydney; other son and DIL and daughter and SIL and 4 year old; OH and me. Plus 4 mini foxies.

Everyone is bringing a contribution towards our buffet lunch which will make life easier for all.

In the afternoon the three grandchildren and I will decorate their Shetland pony. Should be fun.

I wish everyone a safe, happy and health Christmas and the same for 2012.:)

Djangoandjacana
21-12-11, 04:08 PM
Hopefully nothing.

treacle
21-12-11, 04:12 PM
aww lyn, why not !?!

Djangoandjacana
21-12-11, 04:22 PM
Because if I am doing "something" it will mean there is a problem.

Christmas day is the one enforced day of sloth in the house. Kind of like Chinese New Year, no sweeping, cleaning, paddock maintenance, mowing, fence fixing. Just the essentials of feeding hungry critters.

OH is usually so drained by Xmas day, and certainly doesn't want to have to engage in conversation with anyone, that a nice peaceful day is on order. We do have our own ceremonies. We start with a champagne breakfast and have a nice lunch and bottle of wine. usually we watch DVD's but it has kind of snuck upon us this year and I haven't bought any. So we will probably rewatch all the David Attenborough ones :)

Anubis
21-12-11, 04:28 PM
That's the Christmas day I had planned but looks like I have been press-ganged into going to my beloved sisters house

Love them all but would prefer sloth and encouraging OH in his love of Friesians and the merits of owning one :)

Cybergirl
21-12-11, 06:48 PM
My family being German and my husband's being Dutch, it's all over on the 24th. Can't wait to spend a week starting Sunday in total relaxation!

rmjens
21-12-11, 07:07 PM
and a teenage boy that doesn't deserve Christmas...

Lol Shaiarabs. Believe me YOU ARE NOT ALONE!

Mine is pushing us to let him go off to spend time with a friend who is waaaay over the other side of Germany from where we'll be and since he didn't plan ahead, hasn't saved any money and is completely disorganised I am considering letting him go and good bloody luck son!

Some lessons in life have to be learned the hard way....lol.

But he will spend Christmas day with us as a family or else! :)

acaciaalba
22-12-11, 12:19 AM
Hopefully nothing.

That ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^.
no kids. no people. no crowds. no noise. no mess. no work. just restfull bliss !
4 days of nothing !! oh what joy it is to ride in a two person sleigh !!

half_pass
22-12-11, 12:56 AM
This year will be my second Christmas away from home, but I am expecting this year to be much, much better than last year!

FH and I were originally thinking about having Christmas with either his sister, his mother or his grandmother - but all require a 3hr+ drive and we just can't be bothered with that.

So the 24th will be celebrated in a traditional German dinner that he is cooking for me then I am going to make an Australian celebration on the 25th then on the Monday I have to go back to Holland for work - no rest for the wicked!

Also, I have made him promise that we are going home to Australia for Christmas next year, a cold, white Christmas really doesn't compare to a backyard BBQ on the veranda!

dimquisty
22-12-11, 05:32 AM
I have a breakfast with family and friends to organize for Christmas morning then relax at lunch time as we will be too full to eat. Only to start cooking again in the afternoon to have tea with the family. Oops forgot to mention wake the family at about 6:30-7.00am to open our pressies :)
I don't feel like it's Christmas if there's nothing to do.

cocomist
22-12-11, 08:25 AM
Of course .... I did forget to mention that we will probably be all up at 5am with the kids to open pressies!!!

I remember when I was little, I used to sneak out to the christmas tree in the middle of the night to make sure that santa had come!! Then I would jump back in bed and wait til dad got up to get ready to go to the dairy.

There was sort of an unwritten rule that you couldn't wake dad before this, then of course it was open season. I'd usually wake all my sisters up so we could open pressies together.

skymare
22-12-11, 09:48 AM
yeah my brother and I used to wake up at 5am to open pressies from Santa. We used to have a pillow case full of stuff including chocies and lollies and little toys and things and I'd tip out the pillow case and rummage through and then run to my brothers room. It wasn't proper wrapped pressies under the tree until after church, but at least before lunch. That was always agonising.

I'll be cooking lunch, as usual, (but hey I insist) for mum, dad and me, Brother is spending the day with his wife's family. I have some preparations before hand. No christmas tree this year. Haven't had one since we moved here three years ago. Been having small and quiet christmases. Next year might be a bigger one.

Renvers
22-12-11, 10:49 AM
Have booked a cottage at a winery for three days, just OH and me. Aaaaah the serenity :D

cobie
22-12-11, 11:29 AM
I'm working Christmas Eve, Boxing Day, New Years Eve and New Years Day, I'm so glad we close Christmas day, otherwise I'm sure I'd be rostered on for that too!

This will be a lonely Christmas, my brother and father are in Alice Springs, and being newly single, it'll be my first Christmas in 5 years without my OH.. :( I think mum and I might head into Chinatown so we're not stuck at home feeling lonely.

Renvers
22-12-11, 11:32 AM
Aaaw Cobes, sorry to hear that. Onwards and upwards! Hope next year's a good one for you.

Djangoandjacana
22-12-11, 12:31 PM
So funny. No a cold white Xmas certainly doesn't compare to a BBQ on the verandah. For a start it actually feels like Xmas lol.

I guess what ever you grew up with as a child when it was all magical is what sticks with you for life as what a real Xmas is all about

Renvers that sounds blissfull.

Montego
22-12-11, 12:40 PM
So sorry Cobie to hear bad tidings. China Town is a great idea, although triple time and a half, or whatever it is, might have been better in your case.

I have a dilemma. With two adult children overseas, and the other two with partners I was looking forward to (a) not cooking (b) not waiting for people to arrive, etc etc. But now we have been invited to son's wife's mother's eNORMmous xmas lunch, with overseas rellies, babies, cousins, you name it. Very generous offer, but would it be too rude to say no? I were looking forward to the peace and quiet, TBH.

Caille
22-12-11, 12:50 PM
So funny. No a cold white Xmas certainly doesn't compare to a BBQ on the verandah. For a start it actually feels like Xmas lol.

I was going to say the same thing :p

Will be alone this year. Will be here hanging on the 'net. and enjoying some peace and quiet. Maybe go for a ride on the pony if my back is strong enough to swing my leg over and back.

morgen_88
22-12-11, 01:12 PM
Christmas eve OH and I are driving up to Townsville (200km away) to stay there the night at his mums house and then we will traipse around to all our friends and some of his rellies in T'ville on Christmas morning. Then at about lunch time Christmas day we will drive back home to Bowen, pick up our 2 best friends and drive another hour in the opposite direction to Airlie Beach. Then we will get on the ferry and head over to Long Island Resort for the night!!! No cooking, no cleaning...just cocktails by the pool :)

My mum is arriving in London today and will spend Christmas and NYE there with her partner- she hates the cold weather so hopefully she can have an ok Christmas in spite of it!

rmjens
22-12-11, 06:35 PM
Your mother sounds like my father, Morgan. He has hated the cold ever since he was the foreman on the job putting in some of Thredbo's ski lifts and building Eagle Nest back in the early 60s. I hope she finds a nice pub to warm up in!

So, Djandj and Caille, more like this:

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/7176/schonwald045.jpg
By rmjens (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/rmjens) at 2011-12-21

This was taken yesterday afternoon in our walk around this beautiful Black Forest village.

ETA: Ooops! I didn't realise it would be so big!

Djangoandjacana
22-12-11, 06:40 PM
Swooooon

Worth a second go

This was last year

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/180456_490030178457_602638457_6053340_5159424_n.jp g

shaiarabs
22-12-11, 06:42 PM
looks beautiful rmjens! I love the cold, I dont know about that cold tho lol

rmjens
22-12-11, 06:42 PM
Brr! That icy lake gets to me, Djandj. Was it in Norway?

Stocky
22-12-11, 08:54 PM
Christmas Eve will be spent at my mums with my sister and some of my mums close friends. Being Swiss Christmas Day has never been a big thing for us. Looking forward to sampling the biscuits mum always makes :D

I plan on sleeping in on the Sunday then hanging out with Mac at the paddock, my mum bought him a present and I'll share some carrots with him

StElmosFire
22-12-11, 10:17 PM
My OH has a masochistic streak, and usually gets on the mower on Christmas morning. I have to go and get stroppy before he'll come in and open presents.
We'll be doing the usual fun things like cleaning stables and barrowing sawdust about. If the weather is nice, I might have a ride on the gorgeous Elmo.:)

Caille
23-12-11, 07:14 AM
Swooooon

Worth a second go

This was last year

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/180456_490030178457_602638457_6053340_5159424_n.jp g

Now *THAT'S* Christmas weather!!!! :D