PDA

View Full Version : Australia Day

Autumn
24-01-12, 11:37 AM
So for all those who have the day off - or an extended long weekend what are you up to?

BBQ, beer and beach cricket??? :D

kait21
24-01-12, 11:58 AM
Am looking forward to a weekend of kicking back actually! Heading to a friends BBQ and pool afternoon on Aus day, (looks like it will rain in Brissie so might be indoors) and then have a friends 21st the next day. Then it's the weekend! I'm meant to be having 2 lessons today but they will be postponed until the weekend too, so I have lots to look forward to!

NikJ
24-01-12, 12:09 PM
Might build an ark....

nostalgiaplatz
24-01-12, 12:57 PM
Mojitos by the pool at a friend's house. Except, yeah, it will probably rain... So mojitos on the covered deck at a friend's house.

KTpi
24-01-12, 01:23 PM
XC schooling in the morning and a BBQ in the afternoon :) Perfect day!

kait21
24-01-12, 01:56 PM
Nikj - I hope my ark is done by then so I can sit inside it on Aus day!!!! How's it looking your way? I saw on facebook they were sending all the kids at Pullenvale school home and Grandview Rd is closed?

NikJ
24-01-12, 02:05 PM
No one from the school has contacted me.

kait21
24-01-12, 02:15 PM
Oh maybe it was a falsae alarm then. Just saw a picture of a lady in a Commodore trying to cross a flooded part of the road down by the school there in that low lying part on Gradnview Rd, and she was trapped, water at window height!

cbz
24-01-12, 02:42 PM
NikJ, I have brought my son home already. The @#$%& school texted my OH to tell him that we could pick our kids up early and my friend had the same experience - school contacted her OH, NOT her. We eventually found out and she picked both our boys up an hour ago.

NikJ
24-01-12, 02:44 PM
Hells bells its my number they have. Off to get him

Flick_09
24-01-12, 02:51 PM
Depending on my headache either staying in bed or going camping in the Snowy Mnts (rain dependant) :)

PS costal people feel fre to send some rain west ;)

kait21
24-01-12, 03:14 PM
Have as much as you like Flick, we've had 3 inches here in 24 hours, just easing a bit now. The poor Gold Coast is flooded, they've had nearly 200ml in some places and a few of my friends around Brisbane and the Coast are flooded at home. My all weather arena is not so all weather at the moment!!!

NikJ
24-01-12, 04:28 PM
Well husband didnt get the message either. 6 kids left in the class and a submerged car there to. Cbz do you have my number? Am going back to work tomorrow and worried this will happen again.

cobie
24-01-12, 04:56 PM
Nothing interesting, riding in the morning and work in the afternoon. Public holiday pay makes it all worthwhile!

Autumn
24-01-12, 05:01 PM
PLEASE PLEASE send us some rain down here in far eastern Vic. We havent had any for weeks and my beautiful grass, which I have taken so much care to grow, is now starting to dry up. My veggie garden looks good though because of the warmth - but I do water it.

Guess123
24-01-12, 06:59 PM
Riding in the morning and then BBQ in the afternoon on Sydney Harbour foreshore. OH is coming to take photos of me riding in the morning. Very excited about that as this is my new mare and I don't have any of her yet. :)

Sam_R
24-01-12, 07:32 PM
We were going to a friends place for a bbq, but they cancelled...They're not having much luck because they just laid a heap of top soil & this rain has now washed it all away... poor buggers...

So I've decided I'll finish the newsletter for my local dressage club, because it will definitely be too wet to do anything with the neds...

MissTi
24-01-12, 07:55 PM
Its my daughter's birthday on Australia Day, so, as we do every year, we will be celebrating her birthday. She was the first baby to be born in Canberra on Australia Day in 1990. She is a member of the 26ers club, and was given a "Commemorative" spoon by some politician who came to the hospital to see her. We even rated a mention on the radio news. LOL.

When she was younger, I used to tell her that not only were we celebrating her birthday, the whole country was too. Even had her convinced I had organised all the fireworks displays in her honour. :D

She wasn't too disappointed to find out the truth eventually, after all, she never had to go to school on her birthday, or work. :)

Happy Australia Day everyone.

acaciaalba
24-01-12, 08:35 PM
just had torrential rain here. see there are floods at kempsey ? hope dragonlady is not floating ?
i am looking forward to a sleep in,, and then an easy day,,few drinks,,kick back and do FA ! OH can cook on the barbie if we dont go out to friends.
have a nice day everyone and take care and stay safe.

mickey
24-01-12, 09:28 PM
Well the boys and I will spend the first part of day exercising. We will do some trail practise and jumping. Then the full wash and wax as they are going to Summer Royal on Saturday. Then at 5pm they will be in the Mornington Australia Day Parade. I will take my little barbeque to the agistment property and have a lamb barbeque and then follow up with a bigger one for dinner.

Mystery~Bay
24-01-12, 09:36 PM
Camping :)

Centaur
24-01-12, 09:56 PM
Riding at the Harry Whitney clinic. Didn't realise it was 'Straya Day when I booked in.

Scarlet81
24-01-12, 10:00 PM
Off to ride on hired arena with OH (video each other & critique)...work horses then head out for trail ride & then probably chill out....I LOVE having an OH who rides :p

KTpi
25-01-12, 10:39 AM
Its my daughter's birthday on Australia Day, so, as we do every year, we will be celebrating her birthday. She was the first baby to be born in Canberra on Australia Day in 1990. She is a member of the 26ers club, and was given a "Commemorative" spoon by some politician who came to the hospital to see her. We even rated a mention on the radio news.

Most of my grade at school had a special spoon for being born in the bicentenary year (1988). I was bummed that I didn't get one too and chucked a huge tanty when I went looking for my spoon (I was 5). Mum then told me that because I wasn't born in Australia, I wasn't allowed to get a spoon but I have an American passport instead. Sooooo... there's a video of me yelling that I'll swap my stupid American passport for the spoon (I still had my boston accent then!). Made for great viewing at my 21st :P

Diana
25-01-12, 10:46 AM
Going to brother & sister-in-law's house for Aus day :D

Should be good - usually plenty of beer & cricket. But not on the beach, we're 4 hours away! :p

Hoping their air con is in good working order though.... :o

MissTi
25-01-12, 10:58 AM
Most of my grade at school had a special spoon for being born in the bicentenary year (1988). I was bummed that I didn't get one too and chucked a huge tanty when I went looking for my spoon (I was 5). Mum then told me that because I wasn't born in Australia, I wasn't allowed to get a spoon but I have an American passport instead. Sooooo... there's a video of me yelling that I'll swap my stupid American passport for the spoon (I still had my boston accent then!). Made for great viewing at my 21st :P

My son was born in 1988 and although he has a beautiful Bicentennial birth certificate, he didn't get a spoon.

LindaH
25-01-12, 11:02 AM
Riding in the morning, new chihuahua's arriving mid morning, then a BBQ with friends in the afternoon. Hopefully out shed doesn't get hit by lightening while we are BBQing in it, like happened a couple of weeks ago :eek:.

vixen
25-01-12, 12:06 PM
Measuring the rain and watching the grass,grow.

dimquisty
25-01-12, 02:03 PM
Measuring the rain and watching the grass,grow.

I think a lot of us will be doing the same.

acaciaalba
25-01-12, 02:26 PM
Camping :)

WOW, you must not be getting the rain the rest of the coast is getting then ? if you are getting anything like we are,,,take your rubber duckie with you, and good luck with the camping !

cocomist
25-01-12, 02:37 PM
PLEASE PLEASE send us some rain down here in far eastern Vic. We havent had any for weeks and my beautiful grass, which I have taken so much care to grow, is now starting to dry up. My veggie garden looks good though because of the warmth - but I do water it.

Would gladly send you some .... Had another 2 inches this morning.

Had to drive to town for an appointment for my daughter, then thought I'd better do some grocery shopping in case the creek came up.

Just as well .... only just got back in .... will be a banker this afternoon.

Was just looking back over rainfall figures .... 2011 was the wettest year here since 1990.

And it's looking like this year won't be far behind. I'm not even bothering to join my daughter up for PC until I see some kind of break in the weather.

So my Australia Day will be spent wading around in gumboots.

Norbit
25-01-12, 04:21 PM
I am working, being such a nice co-worker...everyone else gets the day off.:)

Once I finish in the morning, I am back home to pack to go to QLD for a holiday for a week.:)