PDA

View Full Version : my adventures around new zealand.... N/H

mel22
05-03-12, 08:20 PM
hello,
wasnt very open about this but i did disappear for a two week cruise around new zealand... we had reasonable weather only bad weather we got was was when we had to tender it in to the shore from the boat... that was amusing...

all i can say about new zealand is wow... such a pretty country and soo much to do... didnt have much time in the ports ...
went to the bay of islands, auckland, napier, tauranga, wellington, akaroa, dunedin and cruise the fiordlands (they were amazing).

i cruised on the pacific sun and will vouch for the crew and all they were absolutely amazing... such a family attitude and nothing was ever too much for them. and we were following the sea princess everywhere...

now for the pics.
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x276/lira32/DSC00058.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x276/lira32/DSC00160.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x276/lira32/DSC00239.jpg

mel22
05-03-12, 08:21 PM
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x276/lira32/DSC00251.jpg[/IMG]
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x276/lira32/DSC00259.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x276/lira32/DSC00379.jpg
(alter ego- resident party band)
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x276/lira32/PICT0005.jpg

moosh
05-03-12, 08:27 PM
I love NZ, such a stunning country. Have been 4 times so far, my sister & BIL did a 2yr stint in Auckland & visited them & rd tripped around the North Island & my Aunty, Uncle & Cousins lived in Greymouth on the West Coast of the Sth Island for a few years & visited them & toured the South Island. They are in Wellington ATM so planning yet another trip over to check out Wellington & surrounds too before they move back here.

NZ is definatley one of those places you can go back to again & again & still see something new:)

mel22
05-03-12, 08:31 PM
I love NZ, such a stunning country. Have been 4 times so far, my sister & BIL did a 2yr stint in Auckland & visited them & rd tripped around the North Island & my Aunty, Uncle & Cousins lived in Greymouth on the West Coast of the Sth Island for a few years & visited them & toured the South Island. They are in Wellington ATM so planning yet another trip over to check out Wellington & surrounds too before they move back here.

NZ is definatley one of those places you can go back to again & again & still see something new:)

i agree.. soo much to do, really wanna go back... but i will definately fly next time (not that i hated the cruise ship it was absolutely awesome) mainly so i can do stuff in my own time...

moosh
05-03-12, 08:34 PM
Is a great country to hire one of those campervan things & drive around as you can pull up anywhere overnight for free & facilities & electricity are in most roadstops. Soooooo easy!! The drive over Arthurs Pass from Christchurch to Greymouth is STUNNINGLY BEAUTIFUL!!!

foxni483
05-03-12, 08:40 PM
You were in Dunedin and didn't come see me!
I work in town :(

Glad to hear you had a good time and liked NZ :D

mel22
05-03-12, 08:42 PM
You were in Dunedin and didn't come see me!
I work in town :(

Glad to hear you had a good time and liked NZ :D

oh im sorry was on a tight schedule.... where you work?

windsweptfarm
05-03-12, 08:42 PM
Sounds like the cruise my grandparents went on last year.

I'm going over to NZ in September with dad, am looking forward to it as I've never been!

mel22
05-03-12, 08:44 PM
Sounds like the cruise my grandparents went on last year.

I'm going over to NZ in September with dad, am looking forward to it as I've never been!

you will enjoy it.... my favourite place was fiordland national park it just amazed me how these cliffs just go straight up...

tgh05
05-03-12, 08:46 PM
Blue sky .. ru sure it was NZ ??

Quite a few years back we came across the ditch on the Diamond Princess.
So it is typical kiwi weather approaching Milford Sound from the sea (Pi***ng in fact).
We enter the sound and the weather gods suddenly chase away all the clouds.
So there we are .. no wind ...all blue sky ...mostly Americans on this cruise who all said .. oh it's nice isn't it ....... all completely ignorant of the sad fact that it rains 364.99 days of the year in Milford.

foxni483
05-03-12, 08:51 PM

So it is typical kiwi weather approaching Milford Sound from the sea (Pi***ng in fact).
So there we are .. no wind ...all blue sky ...mostly Americans on this cruise who all said .. oh it's nice isn't it ....... all completely ignorant of the sad fact that it rains 364.99 days of the year in Milford.

sounds are far better when it's hosing down!

There is plenty of blue sky here!

foxni483
05-03-12, 08:53 PM
oh im sorry was on a tight schedule.... where you work?

At wendys.
The only cruise ship people we seem to get are American's who think we accept US$$$ or are part of Australia

mel22
05-03-12, 09:02 PM

haha.. no the rain and poor weather was saved for the tendering days.... :) oh getting onto tenders those days were fun... and first fiord we went through was sleet and rain then it became nice...

mel22
05-03-12, 09:03 PM
At wendys.
The only cruise ship people we seem to get are American's who think we accept US$$$ or are part of Australia

hahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.... sorry didnt see wendys..... haha... americans....

skymare
05-03-12, 09:38 PM
those mountains are gorgeous. i love the land over there. i really should take advantage of having relatives over there.

Garryngirl
06-03-12, 06:54 AM
OH & I went in 2006 and absolutely loved it. My favourite was Fox Glacier where we flew up in a helicopter then hiked around on the glacier. H

The train from Christchurch to Greymouth was fab as well. I would definitely go back.

Well worth hiring a car and doing a lap of the south island.

mel22
06-03-12, 12:01 PM
OH & I went in 2006 and absolutely loved it. My favourite was Fox Glacier where we flew up in a helicopter then hiked around on the glacier. H

The train from Christchurch to Greymouth was fab as well. I would definitely go back.

Well worth hiring a car and doing a lap of the south island.

i wouldve loved to pull in at christchurch but they were not accepting passenger ships due to port lyellton only running at limited capacity still... thats why we ended up in akaroa....

im thinking once i finish uni i will be heading back for a road trip.

kait21
06-03-12, 12:36 PM
I've been to NZ countless times and have so far done 4 road trips around the island. I LOVE NZ, it is so fun, everything is really close, so many things to see and do, and it is so different to Aus. Akaroa is one of my top 5 places to go in NZ, just beautiful and like another world. The bay of Islands are really nice too, I spent a week there once, and it wasn't enough!

There really is so much to see and do and things to suit every one there. I love that you can drive an hour and see something completely different! I haven't been down as far as Dunedin and the Glaciers, one day I will do a trip to Queenstown adn Dunedin etc.

FNQ62
06-03-12, 12:47 PM
Had afternoon tea in the now ruined church in Christchurch, did the CCH to Greymouth train trip, drove through most of the south island (is it ever summer there?) Walked through ice caves on Fox Glacier (now defunct as the ice flow is too fast now - on the lower slopes.) Have done many glow worm trips in boats on both islands, ridden in the North Island - was lots of fun, flung myself off Bob's Peak and had a ball floating back down to earth, endured the road trip to Skipper's Canyon - very interesting trip, driven to Milford Sound, and ran the gauntet of tourist bus drivers, braved a Melbourne Cup day in pub in NZ, sheared long-coated bunnies in the North Island, now that was very different! For a little place it sure is big on lots to see and do. Didn't do all this in one trip, used to go to NZ for business. Only problem....the weather - sorry guys! Oh, and a definite must do, The Church of the Good Shepherd, the scenery alone takes your breath away.

Isn't NZ our 8th state?? hehehe

mel22
06-03-12, 01:34 PM
Had afternoon tea in the now ruined church in Christchurch, did the CCH to Greymouth train trip, drove through most of the south island (is it ever summer there?) Walked through ice caves on Fox Glacier (now defunct as the ice flow is too fast now - on the lower slopes.) Have done many glow worm trips in boats on both islands, ridden in the North Island - was lots of fun, flung myself off Bob's Peak and had a ball floating back down to earth, endured the road trip to Skipper's Canyon - very interesting trip, driven to Milford Sound, and ran the gauntet of tourist bus drivers, braved a Melbourne Cup day in pub in NZ, sheared long-coated bunnies in the North Island, now that was very different! For a little place it sure is big on lots to see and do. Didn't do all this in one trip, used to go to NZ for business. Only problem....the weather - sorry guys! Oh, and a definite must do, The Church of the Good Shepherd, the scenery alone takes your breath away.

Isn't NZ our 8th state?? hehehe

haha could say that nz is our other state... there is soo much to do and only being in port for one day there is not enough time to do everything... got the bug now... will be going back...

we had beautiful sunny days bar two days which go figure are the two days we had to tender in.... rain swell wind ....

and i would say do the cruise just to see the fiords by water... talk about making you feel insignificant....

md
06-03-12, 01:49 PM
Wash your mouth out FNQ :) the 8th state indeed, not in my lifetime I hope...

Being from christchurch and a very very proud kiwi (just ask DO), I love hearing that others have enjoyed my homeland, a year ago the oh and I were all set to move back to chch, our contract on this property fell through and days later the 22nd feb earthquake happened.

I went back home last July to see if I could go back, I still could but with the earthquakes still a weekly occurance I couldn't put my daughter through that fear, I still with all my heart want to move home, and hope to some day, I think when all this is over and christchurch gets the chance to rebuild, it will be one of the most modern, beautiful cities in the world.

Too many beautiful spots to name them all, the weather though can be un predictable, but that is all part of the charm, anyone that actually gets to see Milford Sounds, Mitre Peak must have been there the one day of the year the sky cleared and the mist went away.

mel22
06-03-12, 03:23 PM
Wash your mouth out FNQ :) the 8th state indeed, not in my lifetime I hope...

Being from christchurch and a very very proud kiwi (just ask DO), I love hearing that others have enjoyed my homeland, a year ago the oh and I were all set to move back to chch, our contract on this property fell through and days later the 22nd feb earthquake happened.

I went back home last July to see if I could go back, I still could but with the earthquakes still a weekly occurance I couldn't put my daughter through that fear, I still with all my heart want to move home, and hope to some day, I think when all this is over and christchurch gets the chance to rebuild, it will be one of the most modern, beautiful cities in the world.

Too many beautiful spots to name them all, the weather though can be un predictable, but that is all part of the charm, anyone that actually gets to see Milford Sounds, Mitre Peak must have been there the one day of the year the sky cleared and the mist went away.

mustve been lucky then.... we had rain and sleet going through dusky sound then we got sun and no mist for milford...

ShoeMan
06-03-12, 03:51 PM
Horses for courses FNQ. The blazingly hot Australian summers are not for me. I like the cold... and while the rain can be a tad tedious, the pay-off is the year round green.

Perhaps it's because of my job, but I'll take NZ weather any day. :D

[QUOTE]Isn't NZ our 8th state?? hehehe

HAHA. Being notionally Aussie, I'm amused. :D Kiwis hate that! :D

But since living here, NZ is definitely not Australia-lite. It's a different culture, different sense of humour, different morals... and bugger me I can't pronounce the indigenous words to save my life.

We were looking at a property in Ngaruawahia on the weekend... try pronouncing that one! :confused:

But living here I get the sense that NZ is somewhat how Aus USED to be 30 years ago... and I like that about this place.

tgh05
06-03-12, 03:56 PM
so you are not moving back to 'Oz ?
Perhaps you have the kiwi disease.. all those sheep don't ya know... :-)

ShoeMan
06-03-12, 04:10 PM
HAHA tgh

If those sheep start looking attractive, I'll make sure you're the first to know. :D

But it hasn't happened yet. A farrier has many lecherous opportunities in the human population which keep us from thinking of sheep.

In addition, my missus is still hawt, even at >50. :p

As far as moving back to Oz... yep it's still on the cards. Just a question of when.

I won't enjoy the heat however, :(

I guess I'm a bit conflicted......

ShoeMan
06-03-12, 05:35 PM
BTW

Anyone lobbing up in Napier be sure to PM me... I know all the best coffee joints. :D

FNQ62
06-03-12, 06:31 PM
So Shoeman, shall we be looking for property in Tassie for you? Hmm, I live in Queensland, majority of the population is NZ'ers must be something good here then.....

Shush MD, they sell vegemite, Woman's Day and lots of Aus TV this constitutes proof that NZ is our 8th state - roflol....(lots of evil chuckling) - and before yer say anything, ya didn't invent vegemite! or pavlova :D

Djangoandjacana
06-03-12, 07:08 PM
We could almost have a greymouth to cc club! We did the trip by train having gone by coach from Queenstown to Greymouth, with a helicopter trip on to the Fox Glacier. In greymouth we went out Dolphin watching which in true NZ style was not a gentle putt putt putt but involved getting into a small Nyad and jumping out over the bar in huge swell, then dodging the rocks to get a fleeting look at seals basking on the rock. The dolphins were very cute. Different to our local ones.

A few years later we were briefly in Dunedin before heading out to sea, the NZ islands and Macquarie Island then back into Invercargill.

Still haven't made it to the North Island, one day. Love NZ. So scenic, different culture, real mountains, nice weather.

I could have ended up there. Dad tried to get a secondment to NZ because he had always wanted to go there. But my sister and her husband moved to Aus and then Dad got a secondment to Brunei instead so we did the family reunion plus Dads skills list thing and emigrated here instead

md
06-03-12, 08:12 PM
Oooooh why would we invent vegemite when we have the perfectly good marmite??? hmmm and yes we did invent the pav, so there pokes tongue out at FNQ.

Oh and regarding tv, have you been to NZ lately? very few Aussie shows, I think we have more NZ tv here than they do there lol.

FNQ62
07-03-12, 08:12 AM
Marmite is English, and Pavlova is Australian, Kiwi fruit was originally from China, I am seeing a pattern here.....:D

Makes sense that there is more Kiwi TV here, there is 2.9m of you guys here, anyone left in NZ or has the light finally been turned off!!! :D:D

Sorry Mel22 for hijacking your thread, I hope you get to go back and really explore NZ, am sure you will enjoy it immensely.

tgh05
07-03-12, 08:29 AM
Actually just realised how kiwi fruit got it's name..

Correct name is Chinese Goose-berry but someone clearly made a linkage and bingo.......

Can geese operate a light switch .. :-) :-) :-)

kait21
07-03-12, 10:14 AM
D&J I did the Christchurch to Greymouth train trip a few years ago too! Lovely view that's for sure. You have to get to the North Island, it is very different to the South Island and still lots to see and do!