PDA

View Full Version : Discovery - slipping in the float

Montego
21-03-12, 02:17 PM
My mare had been travelling happily in my float for more than a year, and then began to slip and slide and panic, especially around corners. I was not travelling any faster, so bit mystified. Tried everything, especially creeping around corners at a walk pace, sawdust on floor, rang manufacturer to see if floor needed anything done - it didn't, he said they tend to get better not worse, on and on.

Guess what I discovered - the tyres were dismally flat. The car felt more and more sluggish towing the float, and I noticed finally that they looked quite flat. I pumped them up, with the help of a knowledgeable bloke, and whaddya know? She now stands beautifully even around corners at normal (I don't drive very fast) speed.

So if your horse begins to slip and slide in the float, check the tyres, I say.

chas2
21-03-12, 02:31 PM
Gosh what a discovery!
Usually it is obvious that tyres need air when the horse is on board but apparently not so in this case.
And I never trust the tyre guages at service stations either.
And what a wonderful horse to be so forgiving and go back to a stable ride.
My OH's old horse was taken around one corner, one corner only, too quickly by someone else , and it took her a long time to get him to overcome his fears.

shadowmystique
21-03-12, 03:24 PM
Thats great that you listened to your horse and found the cause of the problem!

Good tip too... The auto gauges are far far better than the old style ones if you get a chamce to use them