PDA

View Full Version : Frivolous Q: how long do you travel to an event/show/comp?

lalique
25-03-12, 09:14 PM
How long do you travel to an average event/show/comp (as in the furtherest one you regularly attend)?

I ask the time and not the distance as the terrain/roads can make some trips much longer

I also dont mean special events or big shows etc within the state or interstate- I mean ones on your usual circuit which you consider as "standard".

No point to the Q other than pure curiousity

bellette
25-03-12, 09:16 PM
No more than an hour away.

Scarlet81
25-03-12, 09:19 PM
5-6 hours for both competitions and lessons...anything under 3 hours is close :)

annaelizabeth
25-03-12, 09:23 PM
4hour round trip is a usual. 1 and a half hour round trip for lessons.

windsweptfarm
25-03-12, 09:38 PM
20 minutes :D Branching out this year and going to some further away though, but our closest is really just down the road. Awfully convenient!

GoneRama
25-03-12, 09:41 PM
280ks for anything horsey :o

Dragoness
25-03-12, 09:44 PM
Depends on where the comp is. Im happy to travel 2-3 hours if its out west, but if it means I have to travel through sydney, which might be closer both time and distance wise, Ill give it a miss.
Ill hopefully be doing a lot more with my new boy, so I might change that to 3-4 hours.

Cheers

Shads
25-03-12, 09:54 PM
I drive within the 1 - 1 1/2hrs dependant on how bad we want to go, I may consider 2hrs but we have plenty of shows around that are local

cobie
25-03-12, 10:11 PM
I'm so lucky being located mid-way between Sydney and Canberra.. there are so many competition opportunities within 2 hours in each direction that I don't really have any need to go further than that.

Charlypops
25-03-12, 10:15 PM
I only like to go max 1 hour. But there are two comps a year I travel 1 1/2 hours.

nannygoat
25-03-12, 11:27 PM
Three hour round trip for weekly riding lesson.

Out at least 2wce monthly for comp, anything under an hour and a half is close.

KTpi
26-03-12, 05:50 AM
For a one day comp (dressage day, sj) - 2hrs
For a weekend comp (eventing) - 7hrs (Albury this weekend)
For a big 3DE - 10-16hrs i.e. Melbourne/Adelaide are 2 day trips.

cocomist
26-03-12, 08:03 AM
Ok .... most of my travelling is with my TD's either one or two of them, for PC events.

Lessons - no more than 40 mins. I know quite a few instructors that will travel to us. But we don't do lessons much.
A PC club rally day - 40mins
A normal PC interclub day - 1- 1 1/2 hrs.
A weekender competition - 3hrs
A state PC event? - depends where it is and what it is. Would travel further for state show jumping or ODE than I would for say State Dressage or Sporting.
Have travelled up to 8 hrs for a state event ... but it's not something I would do on a regular basis

cbz
26-03-12, 08:50 AM
Same as nannygoat! (Same times - almost certainly not same comps or instructors).

kait21
26-03-12, 09:40 AM
Pretty much all of my comps I can get to in roughly an hour, maybe an hour 15 mins. That time frame gets me to 7 different comp venues. Occassionally I will go to Nambour or Toowoomba, both are about 1hr 45 mins away, and are usually all weekend events so I stay. Pretty lucky really!!! Of course there's the occassional event at Tamworth or Sydney, but those long drives are a rarity. The best thing about living in South East QLD is all the comps so close.

Diana
26-03-12, 09:58 AM
If I were to go to a QH show...or any Western Show...it'd be in Perth which is about 4 hours. Luckily the shows usually go for a couple of days so we wouldn't be driving for 8 hours in one day!! :p

Dapple Grey
26-03-12, 11:09 AM
For a lesson or riding club, about 20mins. The closest comp is about an hour and I have a couple coming up that are over 2 hours drive away but most things will be an hour or less.

Nicko
26-03-12, 11:14 AM
I used to think 1 hour was too far before I discovered endurance. Now I like to limit it to 4 hours each way.

Harriette
26-03-12, 11:55 AM
I think 2 hrs one way and a day of comp is on the outer for a pony,
So if I go further, I sleep over.
Traveling must be exhausting for them.

When I was doing regular clinics I would go just over 4 hrs.

ARC is at the end of my valley, so about 10 min ride, or a 4 min float trip( the long way round, on the road). When I was a kid it was 1 hr to PC.

Price of fuel is a significant consideration for me too now.

OakyPoke
26-03-12, 12:40 PM
I do 3hr round trip for lessons.

I used to do 4hr round trip to shows...and I"m in outer Sydney so there's pretty much at least one or two shows a weekend (I was terribly keen a few years ago)

Now any show over 2hr round trip forget it! Getting lazy as I get older ;)

lalique
26-03-12, 12:46 PM
Hummm very interesting isnt it.

I will travel up to 6 hours (one way) for a an average outing, but friends will travel up to 12 hours one way wihtout thinking twice about it. They called me a wimp (in a nice teasing way) for not travelling further without saying it was a long trip

My usual "longish" trip is about 1 1/2 hours which I dont think twcie about, less than that is "local" to me

Bad Bones
26-03-12, 06:45 PM
LOL Lalique - can't imagine what your friends would say aobut me then.
I'm getting old & 'soft'.
Furthest I'll travel to a show this year is 30 minutes but most will be only 5 minutes down the road.
Lucky for me the Nationals are in town here this year. Only 30 minutes.
Big decision is whether to camp or come home to warm stable & bed each night..... decisions, decisions.

BB

eurabbie
26-03-12, 07:47 PM
3hrs each way for ags etc. (we have crap ag shows in our area...if we go to Hunter/Sydney its far easier for a qualification)

Royals/SHC shows we will go where we need to - longest distance we will do a day is about 10hrs, so we usually take a day to get to Canberra etc.

Day tripped a few things to Sydney...5hrs each way.

My ultra crazy trip a few weeks ago was leaving Canberra Royal at 2am, got to an ag show at 8am. Collected the ribbon and $...back on the float at 12 and home by 5. :)...then went to a show the next day...

gasbuster
26-03-12, 08:11 PM
5 years ago with daughter and pony, Dubbo- Melbourne 12 hrs each way, Sydney 3 times, 6 hours each way (we've got quicker at this one), Young, 4 hours each way, Mudgee, 2 hours, Gunnedah, 3 hours, Bathurst, 3 hours.

Now- Gunnedah, Bathurst are about it. Once feral mare gets more reliable when out and a better floater, the distance will increase. Would not even contemplate the mountains yet.

Stocky
26-03-12, 08:13 PM
I try to travel no more than 2 hours each way. Luckily there are a lot of events in that timeframe around here and I really hope to go no further than an hour each way once I find another riding horse.

Winmara
26-03-12, 08:21 PM
The furtherest I have travelled is 2 1/2 hrs ( 5 hr round trip) to an Ag show, now days I would only travel an 1 - 1 1/2 hrs. But living here makes a big difference to me because your traffic scares the crap out me and I have no clue where I am going.;)
If we ever went back to WA we would look at living in Albany and I would travel the 3 - 4 hrs to Perth for the States etc. But that drive is so easy compared to here ( just lots of big trucks). And I have friends in Perth I could put Win in a stable and I could bunk the night so I could travel up the day before :D
My consideration is how early do I have to get up:p I like my bed and I think the Winter ( our first here) is going to make it harder.:o