PDA

View Full Version : A crate idea !

Autumn
27-03-12, 11:16 AM
My horse/feed/hay shed is open with a dirt floor so the dust factor is HUGE. Im pretty sick of having my fresh washed cotton rugs covered in dust and I saw a great idea the other day.

A friend/customer had her headcollars and brushes right next to the gate in plastic crates with lids - what a GREAT idea! Dust and water proof.

So.......next time Im in Bunnings I will get some crates with lock down lids for my clean cottons and currently worn cottons to keep the dust off. Might even get a few more for other bits and pieces in the dusty horse shed.

Ive used crates at home for craft storage but neve thought of them for use in the horse shed!

kait21
27-03-12, 11:37 AM
I have all my rugs, spare saddlecloths etc in big plastic boxes with lock down lids on wheels that I can move around easily. My shed is concrete but it keeps them clean, dry and stops any rats getting in there. Would that work for you? I got mine at Kmart and they were pretty cheap.

cobie
27-03-12, 05:31 PM
You mean something like these?

http://www.ceramic-bathroomfixtures.com/img/main/photo/pd784630/37l_rolling_plastic_boxes_with_lid.jpg

I thought all horse people used those! I have loads of them in my tack room, different ones for show rugs, cottons, woolens/fleeces, one for boots, one for first aid equipment, a few for miscellaneous gear etc.

If I'm going away for any period of time I leave a spare change of rugs and a headcollar/lead in one of those crates outside each horse's paddock gate, so they can be easily accessed by whoever is looking after the horses.

NikJ
27-03-12, 05:45 PM
I have what Cobie has, 44 gall drums with lids and my favorite rug container.....wheelie bins!

opensky
27-03-12, 08:29 PM
Yep, got some of the really big ones too, all rugs bar the canvas ones get tubbed, and all other fabric gear like saddlecloths etc too. Basically anything rats or mice could damage or dust could dirty is stored in these. Rgds

kait21
28-03-12, 12:07 AM
Those are the ones Cobie! I am the same, have ones for all the different types of rugs, cottons, wools etc. Then I have one for first aid etc and they all stack away nicely and neatly and I can tag each box. I actually have them colour coded, like I have pink boxes and blue etc. :)

Then I have a HUGE one that's about 3 or 4 times that big size that fits all my canvas and weatherbeeta rugs in it. Then I have smaller ones for show rugs and bandages etc stacked in the truck. All works so neatly.

Autumn
28-03-12, 04:32 PM
Well I dont know why I didnt think of it before - duh - particulary for rug storage (not that I have that many lol), cause I use them in my shed for gardening etc stuff and inside for lots of my craft things. Ive also got a small one in the car for my first aid kit.

Looks like I might have to get a few more than planned - I keep thinking of things I can put in them lolol.

Chris_m
28-03-12, 04:37 PM
Don't be tempted to buy the cheap ones ... they don't last very long as they are not UV stable.

Autumn
28-03-12, 04:41 PM
the ones I like are $8 - $9 at Bunnings, around 35 ltr - 50 ltr with lock down lids. Not sure if that is cheap or not - but they are Australian made!!! Mine are all kept out of the sun too.

Muzziet
28-03-12, 05:24 PM
I use old suitcases from vinnies for rugs and sets of harness, not water proof but cheap :D also good for the odd Arabian costume.

annaelizabeth
28-03-12, 06:55 PM
I Love them for comps. Pack everything into them and it all packs into the back of the ute every so neatly :)

Autumn
29-03-12, 10:47 AM
Muzziet - Ive got lots of old solid suitcases (the old carboard type) which are still in good nick and useable, so another option for my storage!!! :D