Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So many questions....

Question So many questions....

Hi guys,
    So per usual I have multiple tabs in my brain open and rather than posting many threads was going to try post them all in the one. I am a curious cat sometimes and you know they say only satisfaction can save it!

I've been looking at new tack for my boy and am toying with the idea of getting a Micklem Multibridle for him in for those three levels it offers. Does anyone have experience with this bridle? Is it better to transition to try bitless when they're young or give them more experience with a bit first? Another bit of tack I've been ogling is the Bua Mark 2 saddle, and was curious how many people know/have experience with this? Not planning on buying one (until I get some solid reviews and uh, more savings at the least).

Second lot of questions is to do with Endurance riding- I've been interested in endurance for years but don't honestly know how one gets into it. I've been on the AERA website and read a lot about building up fitness for endurance but for actual how of competitions and getting into it and such can't seem to find anything?! It almost seems like a secret society where you need a person who's already a member to bring you in! Realistically I can't imagine I could do anything seriously for another year at least since my boy is only four but it would be nice to work my way in and experience it I've volunteered at a couple of events now so kinda have an idea the vetting, at least.

Aaaand lastly this is a question about actual riding because I have the very common elbow problem, but despite how I search I can only see people asking about how to keep elbows by their side, but they don't mention the balance with the reins. My problem is I can keep my elbows at my sides but then I get told to shorten the reins- then when I do it either feels like I'm hanging on the horse's mouth or my elbows go forward! When my elbows are back I can feel contact but I get told my reins are too long, and it's an endless cycle. How am I supposed to have my elbows in place without feeling the constant pull from the horse's mouth?

Again, sorry for the multiple varied questions! If any or all are answered I'll be a happier and slightly more satisfied person

I have not used the bridle that you are interested in but I have ridden in a cross under bitless bridle. My horse loved it but one thing I did learn using it. I found that if the cross under part is made of rope it released easily but when it is made of straps (leather or non leather) they don't release easily. I think this is because a strap being wider than rope has more resistance. If they can't release easily then the horse doesn't know he has done the right thing just the same as if you are using a bit and never release the pressure on the bit.
    As to whether you train with bitless or bitted first it is totally up to you but the riding style is different. Bit you maintain contact, bitless you ride without contact & only apply pressure when you want the horse to do something different.

Thanks! I hadn't heard either of those tips before and I've done a bit of reading so that's really helpful. As I apparently don't ride with short enough reins I'd imagine a bitless might actually be good for me too 😂

Hi Remi. There are some very endurance savvy people on this forum. Perhaps if you started a thread “Endurance Help” or words to that effect you might get some pretty good help. Some good advice re the bitless bridles. You don’t need to maintain contact if you have a bit in his mouth.

To the elbows point. Elbows don't necessarily need to be back. The goal is to have a straight line from bit to elbow. That is the priority. Arm position will then respond to your horses head position, there may be a need to have elbows forward to maintain this and that's ok. If your hands roll in or get too wide/uneven, that will change your elbow position also.
    Think more about sitting tall. Maintaining the straight line bit to elbow and hands the same width apart as your bit with thumbs on top. That will give you a much more balanced/effective position than forcing your elbows by your sides.

Thanks midnightly, will do! I did think it having such varied questions in the one thread would work against me.

Summerider, this is really good news. I could never make sense of how to balance the elbows back and short reins, so that makes a load more sense to me.

FWIW:

Don't fixate on that elbows by your side too much, riding is give and take and establishing a nice contact, takes a long time to develop. Don't shut your horse down with your elbows crammed against your sides because you think/have been told that's where they should be. It's an elastic position for a long time, actually always!

Am sure there are others who will offer advice. Set low goals and enjoy your horse and riding.
    Last edited by opensky; 16-01-18 at 06:28 AM.
    Without a horse you're half complete.

I love the setting of low goals; you hear the opposite so often and it puts so much pressure on you it's easy to lose sight of why you're doing something! Thank you

I think I would rather say Little goals, or small steps, low might mean you end like me at 60 :P