Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anthropomorphism and herd animals.

Default Anthropomorphism and herd animals.

I will be the first to admit, and subscribe to the fact that horses have a special place with humans.... Dammit, I love our horses like family members just like you all.

But, most of us will happily sit down to a steak, or a lamb chop, or Ant's absolutely amazing pork loin dish with german hot mustard and red wine... and various secret herbs and spices.

But, probably none of us would ever sell a dog, but we'd still a horse.

Just exploring , as a society, where are horses in the pet versus livestock continuum?

Social media blows up because a horse is euthed in a horse race, yet is quiet about the wholesale slaughter of calves so you can have your cappuccino on Wednesdays with your mother in law whom you hate.

I could go on with examples, vivisection for the beauty industry and so on, but I think you all get my point?

I think it's even more than that Shoeman. The different treatment and concerns for mammals vs crustaceans vs insects etc

I don't think any western society would condone boiling mammals whilst still alive but its perfectly fine for crustaceans.

Flyspray and how it kills insects would never be condoned for mammals.

Then you get on the mammal scale - trapping eg mouse traps is seen as acceptable for mammals deemed to be vermin but would not be seen acceptable for domesticated breeds.

My issue with racing is it seems to be more about using animals for the entertainment of drunks - Melbourne cup is a prime example and probably why the social media strata rev up now. Just look at the aftermath photos. Why should an animal lose its life just for human entertainment? Yes paddock accidents happen but generally they aren't the result of someone seeking entertainment and chasing their horse around. So many horses in all disciplines are treated poorly, but the money generated by racing reinforces the view horses in that industry are seen as commodities.

then there's the fact in Europe they eat horses

what is wrong with people?

some I repeat "SOME" PEOPLE are cruel, not only to animals but other people too.
    some people are murderers, paedophiles, sadistic u name it. BUT that's only some.
    some people .

The enthusiasm to damm all for the behaviour of a few is a particularly ugly human trait, but no one likes to mention add three dogs and then when one turns on two, the third will help tear one of the two fighting apart add more and the pack attack is just as merciless just faster. The animal world is just as merciless and cruel but those who want to believe its only people are ignoring the truth ,,, we are all descendants.... of what?

condemn all for the crime of a few is the new witch hunts today

doesn't anyone ever learn from the horrors of the past?
    Last edited by mindari; 08-11-18 at 10:51 PM.

two men have been killed by sharks in the past months so a major shark control program is being planned.

over 50 women are dying every year, more than one a week but no moves to erradicate the killers, their partners!

Some racehorses die, due to accident both on the track and in their paddocks... so call to close down racing.
    just as many pleasure horses do too.
    just as many cattle grazing their pastures do too but no body knows about it. I used to think our cows were running a competition for who thought of the most original way to kill herself. still think the big fresien putting her head and foot up the calvert was the winner.

she had not even been trapped there long enough to do a manure but stolidly refused to try to get up when she was rolled free and being so big no one was going to lift her for her. Fed her rolled her fed her rolled her but after she began to develop ulcers from her weight had to put her down, at autopsy the vet could find nothing wrong with her.

another with calving paralysis, we did the same and being a first calver light enough to sling regained use of her legs and lived another 15 years.

Had them break legs, get caught between trees, so much for the bucolic life we think they all enjoy grazing and ruminating the day away.

not even sheep so prized for their wool are exempt, roll in the dust can be deadly if they end up stuck on their back, bogged in a dam u name it hubbys seen it, being technical officer of csiro animal health, responsible for animals continued good health, some worth over 150,000 each is not a lazy job. one night a bad storm hit 12 of em decided to prefer the rain and cold than their shelter shed (collectively they cost $1,560,000 to replace) and were beyond saving even though he jumped in the truck and raced to make sure they were ok when the storm hit. when he retired his joy at never having to wait on another "maggot taxi" was complete.
    Banning muesling is fine, long as protecting them from maggots is in place FIRST though....

need to ban all forms of livestock actually. women too since once they are gone men will be safe from them as well eh?

although I feel sorry for Geoffrey Rush, from the description of the incident that has led to his downfall, its a game that men have played for milennia, big ask to see what for my whole lifetime has been acceptable jokes now treated as crimes

As the witness said the cast was laughing, they were just as at fault the truth be said, she didn't even know what they were laughing at till she opened her eyes. then was embarrassed, as one who has known from day one commuting, just to board a train and get to a seat can get you groped, run their hands everywhere not just a boob that's for sure.

she didn't even know he was pretending too. on the trains they are totally blatant. n its all just, a "joke".

So? since the human male is not up for termination/elimination because of the sins of the minority?

Why is everything else??????????
    Last edited by mindari; 09-11-18 at 09:15 AM.

Oh mindari! Yes, yes and yes!

I agree with midders, great post mindari...
    The only thing wrong with a horse is that it is usually attached to a human

It's the age of Athropocene Obscene....disconnect and no or little empathy for other living species. Brings your head undone.

Will leave it at that as subject is too depressing.
    Without a horse you're half complete.

I don't imagine any previous epoch being any better, much more brutal I would guess.

Definitely previous epochs have been brutal....the point is that we (homo sapiens) are meant to have evolved and be the superior species, but look at what we do, it's unconscionable in terms of other species. Apex predator with no qualms or empathy for other species, nor ourselves often.
    Without a horse you're half complete.

Apex predator with no qualms or empathy for other species, nor ourselves often

Indeed..nice people us..

otoh.. we are also apex survivors ; although the odds suggest we are riding for a fall...

….won't be water but fire next time….
    The only thing wrong with a horse is that it is usually attached to a human