Thread: Thoughts on tow bars. Pros and cons for the ones that the tongue is removable.

Default Thoughts on tow bars. Pros and cons for the ones that the tongue is removable.

I have always had the solid towbar that cannot be taken off. Got my new car through the dealership I asked for a tow bar and they said I had to have a genuine Toyota part. Thought nothing of it till I saw it and it was removable. Its funny how I can ask this sort of question on facebook but felt the need to ask it here as well. Thanks
    Horses are my friends for life

Any of mine suitable for horse floats and similar have had the removable hitch.
    Saves you cracking your shins 😁
    But inn all honesty they are good as you can adjust height by inverting the ball one the hitch, and, being generic, you can buy a spare, or they have great options for 4wd recovery hitches, bike racks etc that use that fitting. Never had the holding pin bend, even when used for snatch recoveries out 4wding

I used to always leave my tow tongue in as a sort of protection for careless drivers who get too close at lights and tap the back of my car, until about 6 months ago when I read a story online from someone who did the same thing.

The story was that a lady was sitting stationary at the lights when someone ran hard up the back of her car while her head was turned left talking to a passenger, and she ended up with a badly broken neck.

Cars these days are designed with crumple zones to lessen the impact to the people inside the car. When a a tow tongue is left on the car it's the first point of impact when your car is smacked from behind, rather than the car body itself. Apparently the surgeon had said that when a tow tongue (or fixed tow ball) is left on the car the concussion from the impact follows along the chassis and is delivered directly to the people inside the car. If she hadn't had the tow tongue in, she wouldn't have ended up with the injury she did because her car would have copped the brunt of it and dispersed a lot of it before it reached her. Instead her neck was wrenched so hard while it was sideways that it broke her neck and will never be the same.

I can't verify whether they were telling the truth or not but it sounds like it could happen. It might be worth speaking to some people involved in accidents as if it's true I think a lot more people could be made aware of the safety implications of leaving the bar in.

I keep mine left out now!
    Last edited by leesa; 12-02-19 at 10:38 AM.

I never remove mine ! It's a warning to folks parking not to get too close ..
    Mickey , it's probably too late but you should have asked for a tow bar fitted with a grub screw.
    Once the bar is used a bit it will wear in and then start to rattle when nothing is attached.
    My last one drove me nuts , new car has a grub screw... kept nice and tight and no rattles.
    The only thing wrong with a horse is that it is usually attached to a human

tgh05 ,lessa and squawker thank you. Yes tgh05 I too found that my tow bar with ball has saved the back of my car on numerous occasions with parking and once a p plater hit it when I was lining up to turn onto the freeway. The rattle will be annoying though so will look into a grub screw. One thing compared to conventional solid tow bar . I feel I almost have to lie down to attach the chains to the car. Its early days. But I was also concerned about the comfort of the ride with this removable type tow bar for the horses in the float as the other they never had any concerns. Thanks everyone
    Horses are my friends for life

I have only ever had removable ones, that I usually do not remove either, mine goes lower ( the turning of it does help level the car to float) and as you said they will void warranty if you do not use their parts.
    I always use a lockable pin. People can steal your tow bar , if you only have a split pin. I also know of one person who believes their pin was stolen, and as they checked each time , the pin was missing. That could have not been fun if they towed without checking everything, each time.
    I always thought it could be an offence not to remove it, but of course I am always just going to my float :O

Omg Cyrus. I never thought of the bloody towbar being stolen . now lockable pin is on my list. Thanks

having been back ended by a taxi while stationary and although neck wasn't broken, also had head turned to the right, looking down the road watching the on coming traffic) as a result partially decapitated skull... definately incredibly painfull.

trouble is you never know when someone isnt looking at the vehicle in front of them