Thread: Round bale vs hay net?

Default Round bale vs hay net?

I need advice on using hay nets to feed out hay with the attempt to have my horse ďgrazingĒ vs round bales. Iíve been using round bales but they are costing me $140 each at the moment and my mare finishes one in about 10-12 days. Bear in mind she isnít fat doing this - just maintaining good condition. There is a little bit of wastage but nothing too dramatic. I was thinking with the wet weather coming maybe hanging a couple of hay nets on the gate with around 5-6 biscuits in total each morning might allow her to graze and not be that much more expensive than the rounds. She is shod which makes me anxious using nets but they will be hung up high on the gate. Has anyone had any luck or major issues with nets? And if you have any other solutions which might work better Iíd be very appreciative.

Iím not super keen in investing in a covered hay feeder for the round bales at the moment just because they currently donít seem all that cost effective and I donít have much of a wastage issue

Thanks in advance

You can get round bale nets too.
    But i used to use one that could hold a square bale, could stuff in a couple of biscuits extra space wise. My horse with some pick and a decent hard feed a day went through 2.5 square bales a week. One good trick, especially if front shod, was putting the full hat net in a bath with no plug. That way it didn't get trampled at all. I had a lead rope clip tied at one end, used the net string at the other end

Hanging a hay net on a gate does not sound high enough, and using a gate does not sound like a safe 'background' for a hay net, to me.

I've never stabled or used a hay net, but from pictures I have seen of their use they are hung very high against the stable wall. If the horse paws, all they are hitting is the stable wall.

I agree with Taff - gates are bad news to hang feed on (or off). High nets aren’t good either as the horse naturally eats off the ground. Hanging a net high runs the risk of choke and breathing and digestive problems.
    What I would do is take the 4 or 5 biscuits of hay into the paddock, pull them apart and leave them on the ground, choosing a spot that’s not going to get muddy. Different spots if necessary.
    If the horse gets through a round bale in such a short space of time and isn’t fat then she needs it - give her as much as she needs. Using a net, especially one with small holes could only frustrate her and cause her to walk away.

There are also special hay nets designed for feeding hay on the ground. I can't find the Australian distributor at the moment (I think it came up on my Facebook news feed) but this is what they look like...

www.thehaypillow.com

I have a Hay Pillow. You can get them from Skye Park, good strong canvas but they do have small netting.
    My theory is that it will take my horse longer to eat his hay so preventing boredom because his paddock has a rather large deficiency of grassy stuff!

Thanks everyone
    I've decided to stick to just feeding her from the floor for now and when the weather gets really wet I might consider getting some kind of tub to throw the hay in and although she'll end up dragging it about at least some of it will stay out of the mud
    Cheers

I feed outside by hanging my hay nets on trees. I have secured stainless steel carabiner clips onto the trees with chains and clip the nets to that. A bonus is that I also use pony nets (for my 15.2 and 17.2 horses) so it takes them ages to nibble away at it. Keeps them amused for longer too.
    OakyPoke