Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Training at the walk

Default Training at the walk

My old riding instructor often used to scream, "Vee do not tttTTTRRRIIIInnnne at da VALK!"

This was due to my efforts to feel this and that, and there I'd be, walking with a contact in the arena when he wasn't watching. Trouble is, sometimes he was watching.

Can we discuss?

I understand that it can produce a lateral walk. What else is not good about it? Does it squash the horse up? Is it just confusing for the horse?

I don't understand what you are saying. What is wrong about training at a walk? I think a good walk is something that is beautiful and very hard to do. I my opinion you should train your horse to do both and extended free walk (on the buckle) and a collected walk (on the bit). Both are actually quite difficult to do. One of the hardest things to get is to get the horse to walk in a straight line down the three quarter line. That exercise is much easier at a trot.

I train everything at the walk...all my lateral work, stretchy circles, everything...best way to teach yourself as well as the horse.

What did you say ? Vee don't train with zee fuher ? Far out ....

Basically there should be no need to train at the walk because it should all come naturally anyway and with the walk there is no impulsion, just a good forward movement and if you have forward you will have straight.
    BUT using the lateral exercises at the walk (personally I could never call that “training” at the walk) can lead to better activity in the hind legs - or all over really - so that the next thing is piaffe. That is really why exercises st the walk can be hugely beneficial and a help with the higher movements.

Hope that’s a help Taff.

Thanks midnight (and others). Yes that is helpful.

logged in again just to post…..

So there is no impulsion in a 9 collected walk midnight ??? ….

Taff .. check out the words of Maestro Olivera.. lots about him on the horse now that Hector has found religion...

If I chose to school a horse, much of the education would be done at the walk...
    The only thing wrong with a horse is that it is usually attached to a human

The gods tell us there is no impulsion at the walk because there is no moment of suspension. The more you think about it the more it becomes understandable.

If you always have bend at the walk - think shoulder in bend, then you won't get lateral because he can't. If he can then it means you're not achieving true shoulder in.

I have done clinics with clinicians who do the first half hour at the walk - always with the aim of sharpening the hind legs (i.e. Nuno) and others who push the horse forward and down in trot with what aim I don't know because all it does is send him onto the forehand. I like the walk exercises.

I think a mix of lateral work at the walk coming into collection and with any luck piaffe, or trotting alternating between collected (to whatever degree the horse is ready and capable) with bend - shoulder in and counter shoulder in - and medium without sending him down onto the forehand - suits most horses and riders.

Should have put a smiley face with my roll eyes… 'twas all said with a smile midders….
    I thought they said not to train at the walk because it's so hard to do most people stuff it up….
    Collected walk has no impulsion you say.. so the horse that transitions to piaffe from a walk goes from o to 100 in a stride.. wow…..
    The silly thing is the words.. substitute impulsion with ambition and re run the tape….
    Maestro Olivera walked us into somnolence…..
    The only thing wrong with a horse is that it is usually attached to a human

When Maestro Olivera was here he spent most of the time asleep in his chair. Perhaps he lacked ambition? I can only say that his lessons were less than inspiring - until he got on someone’s grey Spanish type horse. Then he was a wow.

But your use of ambition I cannot agree with. Greater men and women than you or I have used the words I have used - and I would have argued them once upon a time. Not now. Just takes a lot of thought and also actual riding in collection to get it. It’s been a long time teeg - you need a new horse and dare I say it - some ambition.