Thread: Hard hitting, but whats next?

Default Hard hitting, but whats next?

Hard hitter, but really, thinking on it, nothing is going to happen.

https://horse-canada.com/cuckson-rep...7gpKNehS6wgFY4
    Last edited by mindari; 16-03-19 at 12:17 AM.

At the 2018 at the Tevis Cup

❤️��❤️

Elizabeth Ann Speth is with Charlie Booth and 14 others.30 July 2018

It was hot yesterday. Hot for crews, organizers, riders, horses.
    At Mile 86, Francisco's, we saw what a hard day of blazing sun and bad air quality can do to a tightly-knit band of talented horses, riders, vets, volunteers and supporters over a 100-mile distance.
    We saw that they come together like family. Family at a much-anticipated reunion of epic proportions.
    Brutal conditions, it seems, bring out the best in us.
    We joined forces -- formidable forces -- for a very specific goal.
    That was the welfare of the horse, and a celebration of what they are capable of, given the proper care and understanding.
    This particular rider was pulled at our stop. But only because she came in over time.
    Her horse was flagging, and so she slowed way, way down, and brought her charge in at a pace that kept the mare together in body and spirit. She walked a lot and rode a little, alone in the moon-lit darkness for hours, arriving finally to a skeleton Francisco's crew waiting anxiously for her.
    The mare's large, soft eyes were tired but untroubled. The rider made sure there was water, grain, hay, and plenty of blankets because the horse gets cold easily.
    Then she fell into a deep, deep sleep, right at her friend's feet. Her horse dozed, ate hay and grain, and occasionally nuzzled the exhausted heap of a woman in matching rump rugs.
    Vets kept watch in nearby chairs, also wrapped in blankets, and the sky faded a bit as we quietly passed the long wait for that last trailer out.
    I want to salute the riders who love and care for their mounts in this race. The riders who were no longer in contention for victory but didn't care, because the point was to make the journey with a solid and like-minded partner in adventure. I want to pay tribute to the tireless vets, the dirt-smudged volunteers, the talented radio folks and of course ride management, all combing through every square inch of wilderness to turn up every single competitor, and deliver them safely home.
    I honor their affection and concern, their intimate knowledge of the physiology and psychology behind these giant equine hearts.
    I see it again and again, in riders young and old. It's an inspiration, every time.
    It's why our fabulous Francisco's crew shows up, year after year, keeping our own heatstroke barely at bay sometimes, just for the pleasure of seeing them trot smartly up the hill, into our isolated way station along the beautiful Tevis trail.
    This is what excellence should look like -- a constant learning curve that destroys nothing in its progress. Many of the riders pulled this year will be back. With the same horses, often into their teens and even 20s. It's a beautiful commitment.
    This is endurance, I think.

'...With the same horses, often into their teens and even 20's. It's a beautiful commitment....' oh please. 20 yr olds? Doing endurance? Human ego overrides commonsense and real care and concern for the horse. In 'brutal conditions' .....sad.
    Without a horse you're half complete.

you think 20 is old?

Rahma helped New Zealand win the first Wold mounted Games held in the Southern Hemisphere by 1 point.

She was the oldest horse competing over the three days. She was 23 and loved every minute, as Nancy TeWata her rider and team captain, said, over the course of the games, the other horses were slowing down, but Rahma went faster every run.

Presently she is now 34 and although I didnt let her go out of a trot, she still came 4th in the skill at arms as the Rowany Festival... olden games with real sword, lance and bow and arrows.

Arabians are a very different neddy to the other breeds, they aren't even mature before 7, hitting their straps in the late teens and 20's

rahma at 23

https://scontent.fsyd8-1.fna.fbcdn.n...9b&oe=5D0AAFF8

rahma at 33

https://scontent.fsyd8-1.fna.fbcdn.n...d6&oe=5D1BF56D

bit of a shock to discover our combined age was 103.

The lance run was pretty good as dusk was well in when it was our turn, much heavier than the pony club ones for mounted games. been teaching the kids for decades but last time actually competed was over 30 years ago, so was pretty amazed, maybe its like riding a bike? missed the first but landed all the rest.

https://scontent.fsyd8-1.fna.fbcdn.n...88&oe=5D07CBB9
    Last edited by mindari; 23-03-19 at 09:42 PM.

'onya mindari.. was gonna reply but left it for you… :-)
    The only thing wrong with a horse is that it is usually attached to a human

c'mon, give your story, I too wasn't going to say anything, it does get a bit much over the decades n rhams has been looking at me accusingly the minute I decided not too, so caved. Don't have any photos of Nadjira, she was a glorious chestnut with a neat white star, she was loaned to RDA at 24 and taught kids to ride until retired at 34 and almost made it to 40, the grandmum of Aenzac and mum of Magic
    Last edited by mindari; 23-03-19 at 11:06 PM.

I'm not saying horses are unable to compete at 20 by any means, but there's a massive difference between competing in games and shorter events compared with slogging it out for days on an endurance ride, and in heat and 'brutal conditions'. Just my opinion.
    Without a horse you're half complete.

the story from the Tevis cup was talking about totally unexpected conditions for that DAY. The Tevis cup, like Australia's Tom Quilty is 100 miles in one day.

http://www.teviscup.org/the-ride/rid...s-through-2040 note the day its held.

also they are held in the winter, so " in heat and 'brutal conditions' is not the norm.

check out the postponment notice for this years Tevis trainer ride.
    July 12- 14, 2019

Education Ride - Date Change to July 12- 14, 2019. 2019 Tevis Educational Ride - NEW DATE: JULY 12 - 14 The Foresthill District of the USFS reported that as of the first week in March, there was still 16 - 20 FEET of snow at Robinson's Flat, the Day 1 staging area of the Tevis Educational Ride.

then we look at the UAE.

THIS is an abomination of everything endurance riding in Australia and America stand for..

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

just some of the comments in this above...

Pippa Cuckson Its all part of an illogical pattern. In eventing we will never again see Mark Todd win Badminton on a catch ride as the rules forbid riding a strange horse at top levels. But in endurance you can jump aboard a strange horse and race it 100 miles in a day.

Hide or report this

Leslie Jolly and then ride them until they break!
    Or, keep them upright with quite mind boggling pharmaceuticals,
    as seems to be the case with the freakish 8 Minute,
    whose extraordinary heart keeps beating despite being drugged,
    ridden until her coronets have bled,
    and now seems to be
    so crazed by her treatment and drug regime that she's
    strapped into the most horrific headgear, and still needs
    to be 'corralled' by other team riders, if her rider is to have
    any hope of steering her.

spotted on utube... trained by the uae and calling as it is. a horse race......... endurance rides are not a race, only a tiny few care a hoot where they finish, 90% have one aim, to enjoy seeing our wonderful bush, having a great time with their horse, and finish with a horse looking to continue, including me, the motto says it all. "to complete is to win."....... but not in area 7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYRzfqhKqsw

my horse has five Tom Quilty 100 mile completion buckles from five attempts. (on average 40 to 50 percent either vet out, lameness or pulse too high) lameness tends to be just bad luck, overreach or awkward step. pulse rates, letting them go too fast. If mine was allowed to go the speed he had in mind ... yikes... they dont call arabians "drinkers of the wind" FOR NOTHING, he made his own given a fraction of a chance, he so loved to run.. he averaged 13 to 16 hours to complete done at trot and walk. depending on the conditions. driving rain and mud. 16 hours. dry and cold 13 hours.
    Nea one particularly soggy ride. we finished in 5th place.

his work out for fittest horse... didnt even bother to put his bridle back on..

The only days long ride in Australia is the Shahzada Ride 400 km over five days. 80 km a day. Aeneas cruised it so easily and put on so much weight over the five days, (they were weighing them daily that year) the rides head vet Chris Walker commented, that darned horse could go 80 a day to Brisbane and back and still gain weight.

Nea 1983 Shahzada. I loaned him to my friend Terry Chandler as her horse went lame just before... they ended the year with....Terri Atkins(Chandler) and AENEAS, 1983 SHAHZADA 400 km Ride, 11th Open.They finished the 1984AERA Year against over 500 others. NATIONALPOINTSCORE,2nd RIDER (pointscore), 2nd DISTANCE RIDER. 2nd HORSE(pointscore),4thDISTANCE HORSE. 2nd ONE HORSE/ONE RIDER(pointscore)The NSW POINTSCORE they finished.1ST RIDER, 2NDDISTANCE RIDER (km) 1ST HORSE (pointscore). 2NDDISTANCE HORSE. 2ND ONE HORSE/ONE RIDER (km). That same year his sons HOLLYWOOD BASCOMBE ridden by Robyn Lindsay was 3RD NATIONAL LIGHTWEIGHT. 1ST NSW LIGHTWEIGHT(points). STEPTOE ridden by Allan Thiele were 9TH NSWHEAVYWEIGHT (points). 1983Pokolbin twilight 80km Ride. AENEAS 4th Open, Steptoe1st Heavyweight,HOLLYWOOD BASCOMBE 2nd Lightweight.The only year a sire and his progeny all finished in the top 5 of the same ride.
    Nor at National and State Level in the same year since Endurance
    started.

in 2003 his daughter Magic, according to the AERA registrar, defeated 7,000 to achieve...

2003 1ST NATIONAL DISTANCE, 2ND NATIONAL POINTSCORE
    2003 NSWERA STATE AWARDS WON ALL FIVE NSW HWT TROPHY AWARDS AVAILABLE

as for what is happening in the uae, beyond apalling.
    Last edited by mindari; 27-03-19 at 01:51 PM.

Magic mustering at patons lane.

Magic, climbing "the steps" at Webbs creek

And the Americans think Cougar Rock is steep at the Tevis cup?

some rides I wondered about the sanity of the course marker's.

whoever marked the course at Barrington Tops, had one section so steep, I was crawling up the slope with Nea beside me and the pine needles kept giving way and sliding, so for every two steps I crawled up I slipped back one. N Nea wasnt doing much better. but we made it to the top. We took so long we were the last to finish and only after we passed the vet check. (the vet will not pass your horse unless they believe the horse is not only sound, but fit enough to continue and complete another 80 km) learned everyone had been so slow they had to change the cut off time to finish (in that case you are deemed to have timed out and eliminated, now matter how fit and sound your horse finished) and had added another hour to the cut off time, or no one would have been in in time and would have eliminated everyone.... as it was only 11 of us successfully completed.

Think a lot took one look at either that climb or some of the others and caved in and withdrew. Nea could cover rough terrain easily with no fuss. I bought him from a cattle station at Oberon and its as rough and rocky as Barrington tops.

will forever wonder did that idiot actually ride a horse over the course he marked? or just draw a line on the topography map and rate an average speed for that distance?

If any of you dont know Barrington Tops, if its not going up, its going down with not much in between.
    Last edited by mindari; 27-03-19 at 02:36 PM.

'onya Mindari.. keep on truckin' …..
    The only thing wrong with a horse is that it is usually attached to a human