Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oh bother - Chickens rule

That's so cute Jcr, funny how they adopt people too and take over areas they like and people.
    There was a wandering herd of geese up the hill where I ride a few years back, they sure are noisy critters when they choose to be.
    Chatty chook has to contend with magpies and other birds, who think they own her food too.. they swoop here, and can she run if she chooses, lot faster than the chicken dance

To continue the bird theme on Good Friday , we have had a bird food revolution at Chateau tgh.
    It all started when a family of dusky moorhen moved onto the dam next door.
    They had the knowledge and immediately started ripping into the manure heaps for grain.
    Every other bird in the district but the ducks suddenly found God and started the same game
    They were almost patrolling the nags awaiting a parcel containing lunch.
    Fast forward ; some cockies were using my habitat tree and a youngster is out on the ground.
    Not a slow learner he was quickly into the fast food.
    Although he could fly and mum was still feeding caring , he was not thriving.
    Yesterday I could have actually run over him with the tractor and he looked quite weak.
    Last night he was still on the ground so after sunset so I brought him up into a yard, gave him food a water as wished him well.
    Sadly he has flown across the rainbow bridge this morning and there will be no resurrection.
    The only thing wrong with a horse is that it is usually attached to a human

sadly, natures rule of survival of the fittest, never hurts to care though, as you did.
    I watched a ( whatever you call a group of ducks) speeding down to next doors dam, there had to 15 at least. It is nice to have some water back that all the birds enjoy here.
    This chicken though, she is a serious sticky beak. I was working on plugging the tank leaks, and she decided to drink the water that drips out. She got hurried away, I hope she doesn't stick together.

very sad ugh! but Nature isn't very kind. cyrus, you'll be calling your chook mrs sticky beak if she gets glued!!
    the geese come complete with their acolytes - a bit flock(?) of wild ducks, a few magpies and occasionally a couple of cockatoos! All are getting tamer

She seems Chatty enough this morning and has assumed egg laying position. But she is no doubt a sticky beak, has been helping me each morning feed the horse( she really just likes scratching my shed to bits)
    We have a these black swamp hens too, they wander the place as is they own us also, so far they have not had a war, but if the family of swampies from the next paddock visit us, all hell breaks loose, especially at mating time.
    Its nice to have a variety of birds all about
    We better all wait and see if easter eggs find us tomorrow.