Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh bother - Chickens rule

Default Oh bother - Chickens rule

I signed in to ad a post, being a useless rider like Leesa and not a pro rider ( and I can tell you I would god dam hate to be a horse that lives with some PRO Riders) but seeing as I cannot reply I will tell you of my random chicken that lives at my front door, and has been with us since 19th February. I saw 3 dead chooks on the side of the neighbours hill, I let them know. Apparently they had a new lot of chooks and they got out.
    The next night we have a chicken at our back door peering in at us, hopping up on the table and insisting it could live in our house. it wandered off, and roosted in a tree out the side of house on the neighbours fenceline.
    It just kept hopping the fence each day and coming back. Then she moved into tree out the front near our cars, she would take a huge flap to get up there.
    We would watch her, and she stayed in that tree until one night we had a pretty nasty storm.
    I found her cowered in a corner under our back patio, up on a few old chairs behind a few things.
    So I put a box there, with some straw.
    She did not spend the night there, but went back to her tree. The next day she laid an egg there ( and has so since that day, over 2 doz eggs for us)
    I had nothing to feed her, so gave her some porridge, dry LOl, she likes that. Not much else in the chicken food range it seems.
    Another storm came along, then we found her roosting a t our front door, on what was my fathers prized vintage telephone table( that I sit on each morning) She pooped everywhere, so I decided I better make a way to get her off that, 2 electric fence pegs, and 2 tree branches, carboard under to collect her lovely smelly chooky poop... and she has roosted there every night since.
    She now has taken a liking to the stables, and greets me most mornings, scratching her way about and making a terrible mess of the old dirt floors.
    She lets me catch her now and then, but at roosting time, she will try and roost on me if I tell her a bedtime story.....
    Her name is Mrs IsA Chatty Chook.
    I grew up on a farm, but I never really liked the chooks, so now I have a chook that has adopted us.

Nice story for a useless rider Cyrus.. well done :-)
    The only thing wrong with a horse is that it is usually attached to a human

Gee thanks

But Cyrus isn’t a useless rider. From the videos I’ve seen she’s competent all right. She just underestimates herself.

I love chooks. Would have a heap of the girls if it were possible.

bbbut .. she said she was useless .. not me..

Seems to me that Cyrus has it nailed , she enjoys her nags and doesn't keep tripping over her ego… :-)
    The only thing wrong with a horse is that it is usually attached to a human

Quote Originally Posted by tgh05 View Post
    bbbut .. she said she was useless .. not me..

Seems to me that Cyrus has it nailed , she enjoys her nags and doesn't keep tripping over her ego… :-)
    ..... yep.

well well well 3 holes in the ground.
    I almost traumatized Chatty Chook today, by running into her with the ride on in our garden.. oh my goodness... she ran off as fast as she could, and squished through the boundary gate back to he land, I had to go and find her, cowering in a spot, I thought she might of hurt herself. She was ok. Only time will tell if she returns over the fence
    I just have horses most others would leave in a paddock, we enjoy each others company and that counts for plenty to me.
    What is frustrating me most presently, is working with high Oxolate pasture here. Cashy had another diet change, and I am dammed if he will eat the vitamin supplement that comes with a whole new idea. But as you will see he happily has his medicine ( so maybe the change not going to work, but he seems much calmer)
    This is him 3 years after I brought him home to eat my grass, but its been a challenge with his horse shyness.
    The chicken has appeared to help me deal with chicken hearted animals perhaps???
    And he is still sick too but seems shiny and happy, I just have not beat the green nose completely. No coughing came with this , just one side. So who knows.. eenie meanie minie moe.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mhpu4RVdZmE&t=202s

One day I will do the adventures of Mrs IsA Chatty Chook.

Cyrus are you saying that Cash has a green nasal discharge? On one side only?

I might be jumping the gun a little here but if he has a yucky discharge on one side only it could be (probably is) a guttural pouch infection. One side only generally means it won’t be any sort of allergy. Once diagnosed it needs irrigating by a vet and then careful feeding - meaning only ever feed off the ground so his nasal passages can drain properly. Not hard.
    Last edited by midnightly; 18-04-19 at 06:01 PM.

Thanks Midnightly, yes that is how it appears, it has cleared a lot, and has never had a cough or anything, just a clear drip one morning and green on one side only the next, slight temp that day. I will get the vet again to look if things do not improve greatly.. but he seems a lot better and not dull and lethargic and not eating as he was day 1. He only ever grazes grass , eats a small scoop of chaff from the ground and a haynet once a day, that hangs pretty low too.

I think Mrs Isa Chat Chook (love her name!) knows where she is safe. She has decided you're her safe haven and is repaying you with eggs. I suspect she would live inside given 1/2 a chance! Chooks are really smart in their choke way and know what they want & need!

We had 6 geese adopt our dam last June. 1 was killed by a couple of roaming dogs that no-one will claim as theirs and 1had an injured leg. I couldn't catch him so I started feeding them (big mistake!) so I at least had some chance of catching them. They belong to a house down the road and I used to see them sleeping on the footpath by the road. Apparently never fed so they took to my dam. They used to disappear for a few days in spring and I'd see them in the distance but they have come back and now come up to the stables for breakfast. This does cause massive consternation for 1 of the horses but everyone else is quite chilled! 5 geese who, if I'm late feeding them will gang up on the drive and stop my car when I'm going to work!! They are characters and I love watching their interactions with each other and the way their chatting changes tone just before they take off. Unfortunately they are rather expensive to feed and along with my horses I worry about this drought........