Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dressage rules help please!!!

Default Dressage rules help please!!!

Today I took a youngster to a small rural dressage comp. We competed in the closed unrestricted prep tests as we are members of said club. I passed gear check for all of my three tests. As I presented to the judge for my third test, she gave me the option of riding HC or be eliminated due to the fact I was riding in a jump saddle. WTF? Young horse, first comp, Iím definitely riding in my safest saddle! Judge seemed quite embarrassed to be passing on what she stated was a stupid ruling. Are they within their rights to do this to me at Prep level???

From what I have learned, we offer closed restricted ( CR) to our riding members at our small club, so I am not too sure what would be involved in unrestricted. In my circumstance, it seems to be that the club can use whatever rules they wish in this area, because no one really cares

From EA dressage rules-
    5.10 Saddles and saddlecloths
    In regards to permitted saddles and saddle cloths:
    a) a fully-mounted dressage-type saddle (including all-purpose) of traditional or treeless construction is
    compulsory and may be used with or without a saddlecloth
    b) all parts of the saddle to be black or brown only. Coloured piping on the seat of the saddle permitted
    c) Western saddles are not permitted and will entail elimination
    d) any saddle that does not meet the required criteria will entail elimination
    e) a crupper may be worn by ponies
    f) saddlecloths may be square or shaped. White is preferred but conservative colours
    permitted
    g) refer to the EA General Regulations for information on flags and sponsor logos on
    saddlecloths

All purpose are allowed but not jumping

Absolutely within their rights. But you shouldn’t have been offered the ride hors concours. Elimination is elimination - which means no ride at all. The gear stewards should noted the wrong saddle, and so should the previous judges but often enough if the comp is unofficial then the judges are unofficial so they wouldn’t know the rules. Perhaps you were unlucky to strike a judge who halfway knew the rules but then again no dressage judge wants to see a test ridden in a jump saddle - looks awful and the rider’s position won’t be right for flat work.

Maybe you should put in a complaint to the club?

I understand where midders is coming from and expected her to answer the way she has.. but..

Why butcher beginners with heavy breathing orthodoxy ?
    Oh .. I know .. dressage is sooo bloody popular that the efa doesn't need any more beginners to join .. yeah thats it...

What freaking difference does a bloody saddle make at this level?
    Saddles don't shape riders and the rider should (and can) sit correctly enough in any saddle at this level
    The rider likes it, and the marks tell the tale.

Sure it's a tough call if matilda with her 20k cart horse decorated with 15k worth of junk.. gets whupped by a kid on a pony in a jump saddle … awwwww
    Expecting folks to rock up in designer everything and looking like Isabelle copies.. is counterproductive and projects a false image of nub of the discipline.
    The only thing wrong with a horse is that it is usually attached to a human

Well!! Humphhhh!
    I don't think, from what she has said, the o/p is a beginner. No you can't ride flat work in a jump saddle. Well you can but you can't sit properly and give the correct aids with your knees up under your chin somewhere. At any level. Why not start the right way? Wintec saddles are perfectly acceptable. (Just not pink ones.)
    The rest of your post is irrelevant. So there.

The only thing wrong with a horse is that it is usually attached to a human

Thank you! Love this!

Quote Originally Posted by midnightly View Post
    Well!! Humphhhh!
    I don't think, from what she has said, the o/p is a beginner. No you can't ride flat work in a jump saddle. Well you can but you can't sit properly and give the correct aids with your knees up under your chin somewhere. At any level. Why not start the right way? Wintec saddles are perfectly acceptable. (Just not pink ones.)
    The rest of your post is irrelevant. So there.
    No, Iím no beginner, Iíve competed at a high level of sj for many years. I just like to give my youngsters a solid grounding in dressage before we start jump training.
    Iíve been around long enough to spot dogma when I see it, and recognise when people follow rules blindly for the sake of following rules are often incapable of questioning the validity of certain rules.
    It was a small prep comp for goodness sake!!!
    I have since found out that a committee member approached the judge and insisted that I be eliminated.
    I wonít ever return to this club.

Yeah I know teeg. I maintain my point of view. Just look at the horse’s way of going on that page. A discussion would be good but not deliberate baiting.
    klg yes I knew you weren’t a beginner but for heavens sake - read the rules. They’re there for a reason and just to let you through in illegal gear would be horribly unfair to others who have gone to a lot of trouble to get things right.
    Best to go to proper competitions where hopefully there are gear checkers who know their stuff and committees and judges who will call their decisions on the basis of fair play and the good of the sport as a whole.